Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Lets be realistic..........................

Boy have i read that a lot on this board after every loss( and even some wins) This statement ranges from Ben holds the ball too long, he makes bad decisions, Willie needs to be benched, we need to run the no-huddle, fire Arians, fire Tomlin, go to five receivers, load up with TE's and full backfield. If you take time to read most of the posts both positive and negative you will realize that there probably more suggestions than are problems.WE knew coming in this season that we had one of the weaker lines in the league. What I think this coaching staff has done with this offense and this line is remarkable. YES read again, I said remarkable. We need help up front. Today i saw a very good O-line against the best defense I have seen in some time, and they made that defense look average. I saw our line against a good defense that did not blitz constantly put pressure on our QB and repeatedly stop runs for no gain or losses. We can win in the playoffs, but it will take the defense playing at the same high level it has and it will require Ben making few or no mistakes(unlike today). It did not go unnoticed by me that Ben had the longest streak of his career with no INTs, That just happened to coincide with our current win streak. Now I am not drinking the kool-aid but there is no need beating the same topics after every loss. Our problems on offense will continue until we can shore up our line. Our coaching staff is doing a great job with what they have to work with. As I have said in previous posts this is not the Steelers of the past where we line up and pound the other team. We also cannot abandon the run and become one dimensional. That is what basically happened today with the Titans rushing only four and dropping seven. We have had a great season so far, I look forward to playing the Browns and then a week to rest up before we buckle down to the real season. As always A Steeler fan win or lose.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
chatman
Water Boy

Member Number: 11062
Default Re: Lets be realistic..........................

you have to be joking....right--good coaching--remarkable???????????????
chatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Well said Ricco.

I agree with most of what you said and would like to interject that if you look at Ben's streak of no pics .... look at the competition too ! :) It was THE BEST in the NFL!

My favorite quote from the players "it is what it is" and that's exactly how I feel about Ben. He makes plays from holding on to the ball and he gets sacked sometimes .... I really think he makes MORE plays than gets sacked if you compare the two.

I honestly don't think the "urgency" was there today from the players ... I think the division was wrapped up, had home field advantage for one game, and they were content with that . To me, that 's more on coaching to make sure those guys were desperate, which I just didn't see. I KNOW how Cowher and guys like Porter would get the guys all ready for the next game and playoffs after seeing L. White do the towel stomping and grinding into the ground ... now I wait to see how Tomlin and some of the other leaders on the team use that for motivation.

Anyone remember when I think it was Ernest Byner (someone from the browns) threw the towel down on the 50 yardline after the coin toss and stomped it into the ground ?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,050 Times in 393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatman View Post
you have to be joking....right--good coaching--remarkable???????????????
Wow, dude. That has to be the most profound first post in this history of this board, really, I'm not kidding. Can't wait to be blessed with more nuggets of wisdom like that.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Boy have i read that a lot on this board after every loss( and even some wins) This statement ranges from Ben holds the ball too long, he makes bad decisions, Willie needs to be benched, we need to run the no-huddle, fire Arians, fire Tomlin, go to five receivers, load up with TE's and full backfield. If you take time to read most of the posts both positive and negative you will realize that there probably more suggestions than are problems.WE knew coming in this season that we had one of the weaker lines in the league. What I think this coaching staff has done with this offense and this line is remarkable. YES read again, I said remarkable. We need help up front. Today i saw a very good O-line against the best defense I have seen in some time, and they made that defense look average. I saw our line against a good defense that did not blitz constantly put pressure on our QB and repeatedly stop runs for no gain or losses. We can win in the playoffs, but it will take the defense playing at the same high level it has and it will require Ben making few or no mistakes(unlike today). It did not go unnoticed by me that Ben had the longest streak of his career with no INTs, That just happened to coincide with our current win streak. Now I am not drinking the kool-aid but there is no need beating the same topics after every loss. Our problems on offense will continue until we can shore up our line. Our coaching staff is doing a great job with what they have to work with. As I have said in previous posts this is not the Steelers of the past where we line up and pound the other team. We also cannot abandon the run and become one dimensional. That is what basically happened today with the Titans rushing only four and dropping seven. We have had a great season so far, I look forward to playing the Browns and then a week to rest up before we buckle down to the real season. As always A Steeler fan win or lose.
23rd in the league in the rush
17th in the league in the pass
24th in the league in total offense

That does not equate to the coaching staff doing a great job with what it has to work with. I'm sorry, but the o-line is NOT THAT BAD. They are pretty damn bad, but NOT THAT BAD. Everyone says the star players and coaching staff are the easy scapegoats. I think the o-line is the easy scapegoat cause most of us couldn't pick their faces out of a lineup (except for Colon, everyone knows what Colon looks like). Calling out star players and coaches means you don't care who you win with, as long as you win. Leftwich can become the starter, LeBeau can become the head coach, Dion Sanders can become the offensive coordinator and LamberIsGod58 can become the quarterback's coach and I would still root for the team.

The reality is that this offense has underacheived since the 3rd game of the season and has never improved or corrected any problems since then. The coaches have rode the coattails of an extraordinary defense all season and today it came around to bite them in the a$$ just as it did in every single one of our other losses. Your offense has to be CAPABLE of winning a game in case the defense has the audacity to give up moore than 13 points in a single game.

I can only hope we can ride the coattails of the defense for 3 straight games AFTER next week.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
23rd in the league in the rush
17th in the league in the pass
24th in the league in total offense

That does not equate to the coaching staff doing a great job with what it has to work with. I'm sorry, but the o-line is NOT THAT BAD. They are pretty damn bad, but NOT THAT BAD. Everyone says the star players and coaching staff are the easy scapegoats. I think the o-line is the easy scapegoat cause most of us couldn't pick their faces out of a lineup (except for Colon, everyone knows what Colon looks like). Calling out star players and coaches means you don't care who you win with, as long as you win. Leftwich can become the starter, LeBeau can become the head coach, Dion Sanders can become the offensive coordinator and LamberIsGod58 can become the quarterback's coach and I would still root for the team.

The reality is that this offense has underacheived since the 3rd game of the season and has never improved or corrected any problems since then. The coaches have rode the coattails of an extraordinary defense all season and today it came around to bite them in the a$$ just as it did in every single one of our other losses. Your offense has to be CAPABLE of winning a game in case the defense has the audacity to give up moore than 13 points in a single game.

I can only hope we can ride the coattails of the defense for 3 straight games AFTER next week.
Our line not that bad, well this time I will side with people like espn's clayton not to mention other experts form the sporting press. I do not take everything they say to heart but when EVERYONE of those "experts" say we have a sub-par line and I see it with my own eyes then I will have to disagree with your POV.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Positive thing about the offense. 300+ yards. They moved the ball.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

Let's be realistic, you need to learn what a new paragraph is
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289 View Post
Let's be realistic, you need to learn what a new paragraph is
Noted professor.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Today was a very strange game. The offense - barring the TO's - carried the team while the defense was on its heels. In all honesty, the D has to be getting tired after doing this for 14 games in a row,especially the last 8 games.

My gripe is with Arians and the offensive coaching staff. I know football must evolve but the bread and butter will always be the running game, especially for the Steelers. When you call an extremly unsuccesful pass play on 3rd and 2, when you could just pound it and have a higher success rate, there is something wrong.

The O-Line is MUCH improved since game 1 this year. That said, they are still pretty bad. The pass protection has improved slightly, at a cost to the run blocking.

Willie P. has lost a step. I really do not think he will ever be the same. Nice to know Rashard is waiting for next year. Moore is probably the best free agent pickup EVER for us.

Ben is a warrior and champion. I feel sometimes he tries too hard to make things happen. I think he wants a TD everytime he throws which is what every great QB should think. But Ben second and third guesses himself too much and leads himself into problems.

The recievers and tight ends are top notch. Only gripe is Nate has WAAAAYYY to many drops.

This isn't hating. This is stating what I feel. Of course I'm gonna piss and moan after a loss in a huge game like this and talk about what I think needs to be done. Protest is the highest form of patriotism.

I'll be there forever if we are 16-0 or 0-16. The playoffs are gonna be a great ride and I have faith that we will come out with #6! But there is a LOT of work to do!