Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

Beating a wake-up call for Steelers
Commentary by Mike Ciarochi
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=468632&rfi=6
Mike Ciarochi

NASHVILLE - As beatings go, this one was about as thorough as they get. Tennessee's 31-14 drubbing of the Steelers featured the first 300-yard offensive hit the Steelers defense has allowed and a four-turnover performance from the Pittsburgh offense.
And it couldn't have happened at a better time for a team with aspirations of playing not just into January, but through it.

It was certainly a humbling experience for coach Mike Tomlin's team. It reminded each and every player that showing up is not all that's required to get wins in this league. It proved to them that turnovers are deadly. It proved that no matter how good a defense plays, an opposing offense can have its way, if only for a day.

We'll find out next Sunday how much of the message sunk in. The Cleveland Browns are coming to town for what will amount to a tune-up for playoff games to follow. But we'll be able to tell by how the Steelers approach that game whether they fully absorbed the message delivered in this one.

Rest assured, this was no fluke.
Tennessee is that good, good enough to make the Steelers defense look human, good enough to make the offense pay for its mistakes.

"Today wasn't typical of us, going out there and shooting ourselves in the foot like that," Hines Ward said, referring to the four turnovers Tennessee caused. "Today was not one of our great performances.

"Luckily for us, today wasn't the playoffs or we'd be heading home for good. We can work on it next week and get ready for the playoffs."

"They whooped us pretty good," linebacker Larry Foote said. "Maybe this will be good for us. I think we'll learn from it."

The Steelers learned a lot about the Titans. A little film study will show them what it will take if a rematch is in the future.

"You don't win 13 games by accident," safety Ryan Clark said. "Everybody kept saying they aren't that good, but they proved to us just how good they really are."

A lot of pre-game chatter centered on Tennessee's loss of their best two defensive linemen. No way, most analysts thought, the Titans would be able to win this game without tackle Albert Hainesworth and end Kyle Vanden Bosch.

That the Steelers lost without even facing either of those guys should remind them that they are not invincible.

"It was good for us," Clark said. "I don't know if I'd call it a wake-up call because we've been on the edge for weeks now. After a while, you kind of sleepwalk through some of it and today we were off a step or two the whole game. It should help us to refocus and get ready for what lies ahead."

Tomlin vowed that he would not rest any players against the Browns, partly because they are the Browns but largely because he doesn't want the bad taste from this game to linger any longer than necessary.

"We are not making excuses," Tomlin said. "That was a signature performance out there and our name is on it. I look forward to Cleveland because that's how we live."

The Steelers put a stinker out there on tape for everybody to see. They have a chance to make corrections and right their ship. That's as good as it gets.

That plan worked in 2005, when the Steelers laid an egg against the Colts in Indianapolis during the regular season, only to learn from that trip and use the knowledge against the Colts in the playoffs. That season ended with a Super Bowl XL win.

This one? Stay tuned. We'll all find out together.

Sports editor Mike Ciarochi may be reached at mciarochi@heraldstandard.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Roethlisberger Era
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Member Number: 11096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

I'd much rather get this beating out of our system now than in the playoffs. I think these guys are right when they say that this was good for us, and it kind of reminded us that we have to work for everything.

Alls we have to do is stay away from the stupid mistakes. I don't think the Titans physically beat us up, they just took advantage of self inflicted mistakes.
Roethlisberger Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
WindyCitySteelerFan
Bench Warmer
 
WindyCitySteelerFan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 266
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10940
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

Quite frankly, I don't think we wanted to have the #1 seed target on our backs...

Look at the playoff history, not many #1 seeds have made it all the way.

I'm fine with one home game.. We got our bye week, that was the most important thing.
__________________
STEELER STEVE,
A CHICAGO STEELER FAN
Doesn't matter where you are, you bleed Black & Gold all the same
WindyCitySteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,459
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

How about all the attention they received last week?

SI cover, ESPN mag. Maybe, just maybe it all went to their heads

Anyway, LeBeau won't let it happen in the playoffs
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
NYC SteelersFan
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 597
Member Number: 10612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

The 2 lower seeds are the more dangerous teams anyway, I rather be the #2 seed if I could pick.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
GridironWarrior
Starter
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 532
Member Number: 9565
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

Until something is done w/Arians and Oline this was not a wake up call. The Offense is keeping this team from being a threat in the playoffs. The Titans as much as I hate to say are playing Steelers football. Everything starts up front. Their Dline is good and their Oline is excellent, on par with the Giants. They have toughness on the offense which this team lacks. To be honest I don't want Pitt playing the Titans again.
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend
 
stillers4me's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,670
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
How about all the attention they received last week?

SI cover, ESPN mag. Maybe, just maybe it all went to their heads

Anyway, LeBeau won't let it happen in the playoffs
I don't think it went to their heads as much as it played with the Titans heads.

And don't expect any big changes in the Oline or coaching staff at this point of the season.

We gots what we gots.
__________________
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter
 
T.Richardson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,562
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10617
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Beating a wake-up call for Steelers
Commentary by Mike Ciarochi
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=468632&rfi=6
Mike Ciarochi

NASHVILLE - As beatings go, this one was about as thorough as they get. Tennessee's 31-14 drubbing of the Steelers featured the first 300-yard offensive hit the Steelers defense has allowed and a four-turnover performance from the Pittsburgh offense.
And it couldn't have happened at a better time for a team with aspirations of playing not just into January, but through it.

It was certainly a humbling experience for coach Mike Tomlin's team. It reminded each and every player that showing up is not all that's required to get wins in this league. It proved to them that turnovers are deadly. It proved that no matter how good a defense plays, an opposing offense can have its way, if only for a day.

We'll find out next Sunday how much of the message sunk in. The Cleveland Browns are coming to town for what will amount to a tune-up for playoff games to follow. But we'll be able to tell by how the Steelers approach that game whether they fully absorbed the message delivered in this one.

Rest assured, this was no fluke.
Tennessee is that good, good enough to make the Steelers defense look human, good enough to make the offense pay for its mistakes.

"Today wasn't typical of us, going out there and shooting ourselves in the foot like that," Hines Ward said, referring to the four turnovers Tennessee caused. "Today was not one of our great performances.

"Luckily for us, today wasn't the playoffs or we'd be heading home for good. We can work on it next week and get ready for the playoffs."

"They whooped us pretty good," linebacker Larry Foote said. "Maybe this will be good for us. I think we'll learn from it."

The Steelers learned a lot about the Titans. A little film study will show them what it will take if a rematch is in the future.

"You don't win 13 games by accident," safety Ryan Clark said. "Everybody kept saying they aren't that good, but they proved to us just how good they really are."

A lot of pre-game chatter centered on Tennessee's loss of their best two defensive linemen. No way, most analysts thought, the Titans would be able to win this game without tackle Albert Hainesworth and end Kyle Vanden Bosch.

That the Steelers lost without even facing either of those guys should remind them that they are not invincible.

"It was good for us," Clark said. "I don't know if I'd call it a wake-up call because we've been on the edge for weeks now. After a while, you kind of sleepwalk through some of it and today we were off a step or two the whole game. It should help us to refocus and get ready for what lies ahead."

Tomlin vowed that he would not rest any players against the Browns, partly because they are the Browns but largely because he doesn't want the bad taste from this game to linger any longer than necessary.

"We are not making excuses," Tomlin said. "That was a signature performance out there and our name is on it. I look forward to Cleveland because that's how we live."

The Steelers put a stinker out there on tape for everybody to see. They have a chance to make corrections and right their ship. That's as good as it gets.

That plan worked in 2005, when the Steelers laid an egg against the Colts in Indianapolis during the regular season, only to learn from that trip and use the knowledge against the Colts in the playoffs. That season ended with a Super Bowl XL win.

This one? Stay tuned. We'll all find out together.

Sports editor Mike Ciarochi may be reached at mciarochi@heraldstandard.com
I thought that was a funny reason, because they are the browns lol.
__________________
T.Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars
 
lilyoder6's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Playin' touch football, on marijuana street
Posts: 6,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2568
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

i think that tomlin will play the starters 4 the 1st half 4 sure... then could take them out after a while in the 3rd qtr...
__________________

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #10
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 1,186
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1192
Thanks: 9
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: Beating a wake-up call for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridironWarrior View Post
Until something is done w/Arians and Oline this was not a wake up call. The Offense is keeping this team from being a threat in the playoffs. The Titans as much as I hate to say are playing Steelers football. Everything starts up front. Their Dline is good and their Oline is excellent, on par with the Giants. They have toughness on the offense which this team lacks. To be honest I don't want Pitt playing the Titans again.
I agree to some extent with the Offense but the thing that is keeping this teamfrom being a Threat is the TURNOVERS. I don't care how bad the offense is, if you look at the games we lost there were critical turnovers in each game that cost us the W. If we can eliminate the turnovers we will be SB Champs!!!!
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts