Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Collins, Cowher react to towel stomping

Collins, Cowher react to towel stomping
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chris Johnson started celebrating before he crossed the goal line in the third quarter of Sunday's game. His 21-yard touchdown run put Tennessee ahead for good, but even Titans quarterback and former Penn State All-American Kerry Collins appeared to have mixed feelings about the rookie running back's show of enthusiasm.

"I come from the old school," Collins said after leading the Titans to a 31-14 win over the Steelers. "I don't think (Penn State coach) Joe Paterno would like that a whole lot."

The Steelers didn't either.

Nor were they amused when Johnson, who high-stepped into the end zone, took the hand towel that had been hanging from his pants and started waving it. Or when several players, including running back LenDale White and linebacker Keith Bulluck, got hold of a Terrible Towel and stomped it, as if it were a small fire, on the Titans' sideline.

"We won't forget it," Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, now a TV analyst for CBS, didn't like it, either.

About White's display, Cowher said: "You've got to learn ... I wouldn't do this, I wouldn't go there."

Referring to Bulluck, Cowher said the linebacker should know better because, "You are a veteran, Bulluck."

Bulluck, though, did not seem concerned.

"I don't care, I don't care," Bulluck told the media after the game. "That's just our stand. Anybody that's going to come through here in the playoffs, we plan to stomp them out."

The Titans, though, should beware. Sunday was not the first time an opposing player has disrespected the towel, which has become a Steelers icon.

Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh shined his cleats with a Terrible Towel during Cincinnati's 38-31 win over the Steelers in December 2005.

"We know the last time an opposing team played with our towel what happened," Steelers inside linebacker Larry Foote said.

The Steelers reeled off eight consecutive wins after that loss to the Bengals en route to the Super Bowl XL title.

They are no doubt hoping history repeats itself after the Titans' display Sunday.

Cowher told CBS viewers that if he were coaching and his team got a rematch against the Titans, he knows exactly what he would do.

"That looks like a pregame talk the night before to me," Cowher said. "If (we'd) meet in the postseason, I know what I'm pulling out the night before the game."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_604113.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
kaeotik
Water Boy

Member Number: 11216
Default Re: Collins, Cowher react to towel stomping

I am a Titans fan, and I don't like the showboating either. That's todays pro athelete for you though. Sad.
kaeotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

The Titans say we are over reacting to towelgate.

It looks to me like the Titans are getting more than a little bit c*o*c*k*y. Does that look like anyone from the AFC North????? The Bengals thought they were all that and more. Someone, if not us, is bound to knock that right out of them real soon.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeotik View Post
I am a Titans fan, and I don't like the showboating either. That's todays pro athelete for you though. Sad.
Yes, sadly enough there are too many pros who do that now or days. Remember Reggie Bush in the NFC championship game a few years ago, against the Bears? He was going in for the touchdown, after running for big yardage, and he turned and pointed to Urlacher?? NOT a smart thing to do. He was told about it, and yet he still continued to do his showboating. Some of them never learn. They think they are bigger than the game. On that play against the Titans, if Troy would have gotten there a few seconds sooner I would LOVE to have seen him knock it right outta his hand. Too bad he just didn't drop it like that player did for Philly, against I think it was the Cowboys? #10 was the player...just as he was about to cross the goal line the ball fell out of his hand.

GO STEELERS!!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

You go back to Tenn. and tell them... tell them, "The Steelers are coming... The Steelers are coming, and their bringing HELL with them!!"
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

Payback's going to be a witch on these buttclowns. Mark my words.
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Steelcitygal87
Banned

"I come from the old school," Collins said after leading the Titans to a 31-14 win over the Steelers. "I don't think (Penn State coach) Joe Paterno would like that a whole lot."

You never forget the lessons of Joe Pa.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeotik View Post
Sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. Call it whatever you want, but there's only 1 word for the actions and that is classless. Cowher was exactly right in what he said about the whole incident.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. Call it whatever you want, but there's only 1 word for the actions and that is classless. Cowher was exactly right in what he said about the whole incident.
As much as I like him, and think he has tremendous talent, I have seen Santonio Holmes "hot dog" it at times too. I noticed him, in several games, make a big catch and then back peddle while going into the end zone. So our guys are not totally innocent of showboating at times either. They don't do it nearly to the extent of other teams, but Holmes does stand out to me as one who has a habit of showing off.

GO STEELERS!!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

It's not showboating that pisses me off as much as those jerkoffs stomping in the Terrible Towel.

But don't worry, if the Titans make it to the AFC Championship Game something else is gonna get stomped...that'll be the Titans Super Bowl hopes.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote