Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Tomlin: 'We're playing to win'

Tomlin: 'We're playing to win'
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 24, 2008

He didn't provide as memorable a sound bite as Herm Edwards did a couple of years back when the then-New York Jets coach said, "You play to win the game!"

But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was just as emphatic Tuesday at his weekly news conference.

Four different times, Tomlin said: "We're playing" - even though the Steelers (11-4), who have already clinched a division title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs, could use Sunday's game against the Browns as an opportunity to rest key players and protect them from injury.

Only one starter, Ryan Clark, has been ruled out for the 1 p.m. game at Heinz Field. The veteran free safety re-injured his right shoulder in the Steelers' 31-14 loss last Sunday at Tennessee.

Barring a setback this week in practice, Tomlin is planning on playing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (sprained ankle) and outside linebacker James Harrison (hip pointer), even though both are nursing injuries.

The two will be limited in practice this week, Tomlin said, but each is expected to start Sunday.

"We're playing to win," Tomlin said. "That's what the NFL is all about. A winning performance puts an exclamation point on what's been a solid regular season and moves us into the playoffs in a good frame of mind."

The Steelers have earned a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs and won't play again after Sunday until the second weekend in January. One of sports' age-old questions is what is best for a team that does not have to win its regular-season finale but has significant time off before its first playoff game.

"You look at it like, OK, you want to rest guys, but you don't want to get out of sync," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. "I want to play. I don't want to get two, three weeks off before you actually get hit again. I think we need to go in on a good note as far as going out and executing our game plan."

When asked if he will pull some of his starters during Sunday's game because the Steelers cannot improve their playoff position, Tomlin simply said, "Wow" and did not answer the question.

Last year, Tomlin rested several key starters, including Roethlisberger, in the Steelers' final regular-season game. The Steelers, who had already wrapped up the division title and the No. 4 seed in the AFC playoffs, lost to the Ravens in Baltimore and then in an AFC wild-card game the following week.

Tomlin said he did not take what happened last year into account when deciding how he plans to approach Sunday's game.

The Steelers want to accomplish some of the goals they set before the season. One of those goals, Tomlin said, was to sweep every team in the AFC North. The Steelers can do that with a 10th consecutive victory over the Browns, who are 4-11 and have been one of the most disappointing teams in the league this season.

"When you want to be the kind of team that we aspire to be," Tomlin said, "it starts with dominating our division."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_604250.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,104 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin: 'We're playing to win'

This is a good thing play to win and carry the momentum into the playoffs if they go into the playoffs on a loosing note who knows what might happen if we win it will keep these boys hyped up and ready to play.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

While I do agree Ben needs to play at least the first half, I really think Harrison deserves a rest. This guy has been playing defense and special teams full borg. Give him a rest until our first playoff game.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I get a completely different feeling from Tomlin this year. Last year, we went into the playoffs as the walking wounded and I think even he knew our chances were slim.

This year, he's like a tiger stalking his prey, it's so close he can smell it. Let's hope the players have the same focus.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I get a completely different feeling from Tomlin this year. Last year, we went into the playoffs as the walking wounded and I think even he knew our chances were slim.

This year, he's like a tiger stalking his prey, it's so close he can smell it. Let's hope the players have the same focus.

While I would much prefer going into the playoffs with a rested Ben and Harrison, I'm going to do what I always have done and trust our HC's plan. The Brownies are going to come at us full throttle and we've got to be ready for 'em and hopefully carry the momentum from a win into the playoffs after a week of rest.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

And to think back how many fans were upset with his hiring two years ago.

Proving once again, the Rooney's knew what they were doing and what we were getting when they hired Tomlin!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

"Hello, You Play to Win The Game"

He he he!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

Quote:
"When you want to be the kind of team that we aspire to be," Tomlin said, "it starts with dominating our division."
ooooh... bulletin board material for the browns. thats anthony smiths job.

"fire tomlin!"
Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

He'll pull these guys in the 2nd half, though. It is, after all, just the Browns.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Tomlin: 'We're playing to win'
has he been talking to herm?? You Play To Win the GAME!!!

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote