Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ravens, Steelers ignore playoff talk

Ravens, Steelers ignore playoff talk
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/...yoff-talk.html
December 24, 2008 1:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

After working every day since July in training camp to get to this very position, both the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers are suddenly drowning out the "P" word.

Playoffs?

What playoffs?

Ravens coach John Harbaugh wants to keep all the focus on Sunday's regular-season finale. Likewise for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who is so tightly wound this week that not even a special visit from Santa Claus could loosen him up.

Both teams have one more game left in the regular season, but if things go as planned the AFC North will have two teams in the playoffs next week. Pittsburgh (11-4) already secured the No. 2 seed in the conference while Baltimore (10-5) is favored to beat the Jacksonville Jaguars (5-10) at home to secure the No. 6 seed.

With each club facing a different set of circumstances, here are four key questions facing Pittsburgh and Baltimore in Week 17:

Questions for Ravens

Is this really a must-win?

The game-time change to 4:15 p.m. ET Sunday provided an interesting situation for Baltimore. The Ravens could know by kickoff if they've clinched a playoff berth, but they can't let that affect their preparation this week.

According to Harbaugh, Sunday's game against Jacksonville is an absolute must-win. Baltimore controls its own destiny, but a loss could open the door for one of the three teams from the AFC East.

Harbaugh is telling media representatives and his team that the New England Patriots' 1 p.m. game against the Buffalo Bills (7-8) is his NFL "lock of the week." A win by New England would get the Patriots the No. 6 seed if the Ravens do not take care of business. So Baltimore is preparing as if New England (10-5) is already victorious.

"New England is going to win a football game," Harbaugh said. "We know that. Everybody knows that. So we're going [out there] to win our football game. That's what we need to take care of, and we don't need anybody else to get us in the playoffs."

Although it could come off as gamesmanship, this is the right way for Harbaugh and the Ravens to approach it. The Ravens cannot rest and let up in practice this week without knowing the result.

If Buffalo happens to upset New England, then Harbaugh reserves the right to change his approach Sunday if he chooses.

How dangerous is Jacksonville?

Surely, Baltimore is a better team than the Jaguars. The Ravens have won four of their last five and are coming off the biggest win of the season against the Dallas Cowboys.

But Jacksonville at times has shown flashes of last year's team that won a round in the playoffs. The Jaguars beat both the Indianapolis Colts (11-4) and Denver Broncos (8-7) this season, but they've also lost eight of their last 10.

"As long as we come out and play like we want to and let them know that we're here to play, hopefully we can do that and let them know that they have no business coming to Baltimore and trying to ruin our chances," Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco said. "It's all up to us."

Week 17 games are dangerous, because bad teams want to end the year on a good note. Struggling teams also like to extend their misery by ending the postseason hopes of others.

"They have nothing to lose. They have everything to gain," Harbaugh said. "They're a prideful team. I think we understand the personality of their football team."

Questions for Steelers

Why does Pittsburgh care about winning Sunday?

Because it's the rival Cleveland Browns (4-11).

Similar to Michigan versus Ohio State in college football, so much is riding on the success of the Steelers-Browns rivalry. Tomlin has quickly immersed himself in Pittsburgh's mentality, and a large part of it hinges on beating the Browns every year within the division.

Tomlin's predecessor, Bill Cowher, made a career of doing it, which contributed greatly to his legend. Tomlin would do himself a huge favor by keeping that trend going. So far he's 3-0 against the Browns in two seasons.

"It is Cleveland, that makes it easier," Tomlin said during his weekly news conference in Pittsburgh. "We know the history of this rivalry and we respect that."

A win Sunday would give the Steelers a 6-0 sweep of the division, which is no easy feat. It would also mark Pittsburgh's 11th straight win over Cleveland.

In an ideal situation, Pittsburgh would run up the score early, then pull its starters at halftime and allow the backups to hold onto the lead. Such a scenario would allow the Steelers to get the bad taste of last week's loss to the Tennessee Titans out of their mouths -- and stay healthy.

The Browns are in the middle of a five-game losing streak and haven't scored an offensive touchdown in that span. So don't rule out that possibility.

"However you shape it, a winning performance puts an exclamation point on what's been a solid season," Tomlin said. "That moves us into the playoffs in, I think, a good frame of mind to chase the goals we set out to chase."

What about the health of key veterans?

Pittsburgh entered the year with the NFL's toughest strength of schedule and came out of it with plenty of aches and pains. The notable ailments include starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder, ankle), safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) and tailback Willie Parker (shoulder).

Every team is banged up this time of year, but not every team is in a position to rest. But also keep in mind that the Steelers have a bye week in the first round of the postseason. The players will get a week off regardless, so that also is factoring into Tomlin's decision to play for the win on Sunday.

Week 17 provides a very delicate balance of health and performance for both the Ravens and Steelers. How the two head coaches handle their respective situations will play a big role in the success of these AFC North teams moving forward.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Ravens, Steelers ignore playoff talk

Go for it Mike! After Christmas special, 41-3 at halftime!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I am behind Tomlin we need to go into the playoffs on a winning note and with momentum.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

I agree, however rest, healing and unnecessary exposure to injuries will hopefully be factored in as well.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Baltimore is in a must win situation. We aren't but are going to play it like its a must win because we want to go into the Playoffs on a high note.

If Baltimore loses...they aren't going to the playoffs, there are too many other key factors for other teams, like the Jets, Dolphins, Patriots all getting in if Baltimore Loses.

ELIMINATED: Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Houston, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Oakland

Miami Dolphins
Can clinch the AFC East division with:
1. a win, OR
2. a tie and a New England loss or tie.

can clinch a playoff spot with:
1. a tie and a Baltimore loss.

New England Patriots
Can clinch an AFC East Division title with:
1. a win plus a Miami loss or tie, OR
2. a tie and a Miami loss.

1. a win plus a Baltimore loss or tie, OR
2. a tie and a Baltimore loss.

New York Jets
can clinch the AFC East division with:
1. a win plus a New England loss.

1. a win plus a Baltimore loss.

Baltimore Ravens

1. a win, OR
2. a tie plus a Miami loss or tie, OR
3. a tie plus a New England loss or tie, OR
4. a New England loss.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I have no idea what happens if the Jets beat the Dolphins, the Jags beat the Ravens and the Bills beat the Patriots.

But since that's the most unlikely scenario, I really doubt it'll happen.

Oh but it would be hilarious if that did happen.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
SaccMann
Water Boy

Member Number: 11212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I have no idea what happens if the Jets beat the Dolphins, the Jags beat the Ravens and the Bills beat the Patriots.

But since that's the most unlikely scenario, I really doubt it'll happen.

Oh but it would be hilarious if that did happen.
Jets ( As the division winner) and Ravens ( As the second wild card) would both be in.
SaccMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
SaccMann
Water Boy

Member Number: 11212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
Cmon Jags.....beat them plz
Here is a good link from NFLdot com.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
SaccMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i would love 2 see the pats not make the playoffs this yr...

all i'm saying is that i would not want 2 be the number 3 and 4 seed in the 1st rd of playoffs... i mean playing the hot colts and poss the ravens/pats... is a bit scary

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I don't fear any of the current teams any more than I feared the 2005 Colts..and look what happened there.

We can beat anyone...anywhere.

The team that is becoming a slight concern is the San Diego Chargers.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote