Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
browner3
Water Boy

Member Number: 10937
Default The ultimate mock draft!!!

2009 Off-season

I still believe this team can and will win the SB. Call it naÔve or being a homer, this defense will step up in the playoffs. Iím worried about the offense, but still think it can play well enough to get the job done. Still itís only the no. 23 ranked offense and has much room for improvement. This leads me to the 2009 off-season.

1. Bruce Arians and Larry Zerlein must go. I realize itís unthinkable to fire a coach after winning the SB, but this offense is less than impressive. While there have been injuries, there is still lots of talent not being utilized and the play calling and formations at times are horrendous.
2. We should extend Hines Ward, Heath Miller and James Harrison. This should take a significant amount of money, but we should have some left over to sign guys we want to keep and a few FA from other teams.
3. We will resign Charlie Batch, Willie Colon, Chris Kemoeatu, Max Starks, Nate Washington, Anthony Madison, Keyaron Fox and Anthony Smith. Yes, Bryant McFadden and Byron Leftwich will leave for more money as much as I hate to say it.
4. After extending/signing our players, we look for additional help via FA. I think the Steelers surprise a lot of people in FA and sign OT Vernon Carey from Miami. He wonít necessarily come cheap but there arenít many other options at Tackle. This will allow for a little more flexibility in the draft. The Steelers also need to sign a cornerback since McFadden left. Chris Carr from Tennessee is a good option and I look for the Steelers to pick him up because he also adds to the return game.

2009 NFL Draft: In doing this draft, I assumed we will receive a 3rd round comp. pick due to Faneca leaving last off-season.

Rd. 1: OG Duke Robinson Oklahoma. 6-5 330 lbs. I think the Steelers will be targeting three players in the first round. They are Duke Robinson, Alex Mack and Jason Smith. With Mack and Smith most likely off the board Robinson is the pick. He will do wonders for our run game and is solid in pass protection. He will start at LG out of training camp and for years to come.

Rd. 2: DT/DE Vince Oghobaase Duke. 6-6 315 lbs. If he declares early, which I think he will, Oghobaase would be a great pick. At 6-6 315 lbs. he would make for a great 3-4 DE. He is very agile for his size and excels at stuffing the run.

Rd. 3a: DT Ron Brace Boston College. 6-3 330 lbs. Brace is a mammoth nose tackle who will eventually take over for Hampton. NT might be the most important position in our 3-4 defense and Brace has a solid skill set to develop for a year or two. He has the potential to be very dominant.

Rd. 3b: CB Captain Munnerlyn South Carolina. 5-9 185 lbs. Although Munnerlyn isnít very tall, he is extremely fast and smart. He has been clocked at 4.35 seconds in the 40 and has great return skills making him an asset to special teams. This is a great depth pick and he should be a starter in a couple years.

Rd. 4: OT Augustus Parrish Kent State. 6-6 310 lbs. Parrish is one of the more athletic lineman in the country and is a solid pick in round 4. He has great upside and is a very effective run blocker.

Rd. 5: FB Jorvorskie Lane Texas A&M. 6-0 285 lbs. If you think we need a power full back, could you be more excited? Even better, Lane has a great skill set. I would love to see him in Black ní Gold.

Rd. 6: FS David Bruton Notre Dame. Bruton is one of the few good players on Notre Dame. He is a playmaker. That said, I donít think he would make the team thereís just too much depth and I like Ryan Mundy. Put Bruton on the PS.

Rd. 7: ILB Ronnie Palmer Arizona. Smart, instinctive player. That said, throw him on the PS.

2009 Depth Chart:

LT: Max Starks, Tony Hills
LG: Duke Robinson, Chris Kemoeatu
C: Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton
RG: Willie Colon, Kendall Simmons
RT: Vernon Carey, Augustus Parrish
TE: Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth
WR: Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, Limas Sweed, Martin Nance
FB: Jovorskie Lane
RB: Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis
QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon

LDE: Aaron Smith, Nick Eason, Ron Brace
NT: Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke
RDE: Vince Oghobaase, Brett Keisel
LOLB: Lamarr Woodley, Bruce Davis
LILB: Lawrence Timmons, Keyaron Fox
RILB: James Farrior, Larry Foote
ROLB: James Harrison, Patrick Bailey, Donovan Woods
LCB: William Gay, Chris Carr
RCB: Ike Taylor, Captain Munnerlyn, Anthony Madison
SS: Troy Polamalu, Anthony Smith
FS: Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy

Tell me what you thinkÖÖ.
browner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: The ultimate mock draft!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browner3 View Post
2009 Off-season

I still believe this team can and will win the SB. Call it naÔve or being a homer, this defense will step up in the playoffs. Iím worried about the offense, but still think it can play well enough to get the job done. Still itís only the no. 23 ranked offense and has much room for improvement. This leads me to the 2009 off-season.

1. Bruce Arians and Larry Zerlein must go. I realize itís unthinkable to fire a coach after winning the SB, but this offense is less than impressive. While there have been injuries, there is still lots of talent not being utilized and the play calling and formations at times are horrendous.
2. We should extend Hines Ward, Heath Miller and James Harrison. This should take a significant amount of money, but we should have some left over to sign guys we want to keep and a few FA from other teams.
3. We will resign Charlie Batch, Willie Colon, Chris Kemoeatu, Max Starks, Nate Washington, Anthony Madison, Keyaron Fox and Anthony Smith. Yes, Bryant McFadden and Byron Leftwich will leave for more money as much as I hate to say it.
4. After extending/signing our players, we look for additional help via FA. I think the Steelers surprise a lot of people in FA and sign OT Vernon Carey from Miami. He wonít necessarily come cheap but there arenít many other options at Tackle. This will allow for a little more flexibility in the draft. The Steelers also need to sign a cornerback since McFadden left. Chris Carr from Tennessee is a good option and I look for the Steelers to pick him up because he also adds to the return game.

2009 NFL Draft: In doing this draft, I assumed we will receive a 3rd round comp. pick due to Faneca leaving last off-season.

Rd. 1: OG Duke Robinson Oklahoma. 6-5 330 lbs. I think the Steelers will be targeting three players in the first round. They are Duke Robinson, Alex Mack and Jason Smith. With Mack and Smith most likely off the board Robinson is the pick. He will do wonders for our run game and is solid in pass protection. He will start at LG out of training camp and for years to come.

Rd. 2: DT/DE Vince Oghobaase Duke. 6-6 315 lbs. If he declares early, which I think he will, Oghobaase would be a great pick. At 6-6 315 lbs. he would make for a great 3-4 DE. He is very agile for his size and excels at stuffing the run.

Rd. 3a: DT Ron Brace Boston College. 6-3 330 lbs. Brace is a mammoth nose tackle who will eventually take over for Hampton. NT might be the most important position in our 3-4 defense and Brace has a solid skill set to develop for a year or two. He has the potential to be very dominant.

Rd. 3b: CB Captain Munnerlyn South Carolina. 5-9 185 lbs. Although Munnerlyn isnít very tall, he is extremely fast and smart. He has been clocked at 4.35 seconds in the 40 and has great return skills making him an asset to special teams. This is a great depth pick and he should be a starter in a couple years.

Rd. 4: OT Augustus Parrish Kent State. 6-6 310 lbs. Parrish is one of the more athletic lineman in the country and is a solid pick in round 4. He has great upside and is a very effective run blocker.

Rd. 5: FB Jorvorskie Lane Texas A&M. 6-0 285 lbs. If you think we need a power full back, could you be more excited? Even better, Lane has a great skill set. I would love to see him in Black ní Gold.

Rd. 6: FS David Bruton Notre Dame. Bruton is one of the few good players on Notre Dame. He is a playmaker. That said, I donít think he would make the team thereís just too much depth and I like Ryan Mundy. Put Bruton on the PS.

Rd. 7: ILB Ronnie Palmer Arizona. Smart, instinctive player. That said, throw him on the PS.

2009 Depth Chart:

LT: Max Starks, Tony Hills
LG: Duke Robinson, Chris Kemoeatu
C: Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton
RG: Willie Colon, Kendall Simmons
RT: Vernon Carey, Augustus Parrish
TE: Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth
WR: Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, Limas Sweed, Martin Nance
FB: Jovorskie Lane
RB: Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis
QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon

LDE: Aaron Smith, Nick Eason, Ron Brace
NT: Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke
RDE: Vince Oghobaase, Brett Keisel
LOLB: Lamarr Woodley, Bruce Davis
LILB: Lawrence Timmons, Keyaron Fox
RILB: James Farrior, Larry Foote
ROLB: James Harrison, Patrick Bailey, Donovan Woods
LCB: William Gay, Chris Carr
RCB: Ike Taylor, Captain Munnerlyn, Anthony Madison
SS: Troy Polamalu, Anthony Smith
FS: Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy

Tell me what you thinkÖÖ.
I like it but I think Mendy takes FWP for the starting spot......

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
LZSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 8330

This would be an excellent draft day. The first pick I may disagree with, but I think I would be happy at the end of the weekend in April. Couple options for the first pick:

1. Alex Boone, C - If we need help in the run game, a Center would surely help. And with Stapleton as our only backup, probably wouldn't be a bad idea, depth-wise.

2. Jason Smith, OT - We really do need to muster up and draft a tackle this year. If this play falls to us in the first, we take him, no questions asked.

3. Tyson Jackson, DE - Might be a risk to some of you, but this guy is equivalent as a jello mold to Aaron Smith as I've ever seen. Almost physically identical. And if we've got Aaron Smith on the team for a couple more years, who better to learn from?
LZSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

I love the Lane pick and picking up Carr would be great for special teams
Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
deweybeachde
Water Boy

Member Number: 11239

Re sign McFadden & pick up a Vet OT like Vernon Carey or Khalif Barnes. if can't re sign McFadden, Carr is pretty good

Draft.......
Rd 1 OT Eben Britton / Jason Smith / Russell Okung

Rd 2 DE Peria Jerry / Tyson Jackson

Rd 3 C/G Max Unger / Jon Luigs

Rd 3b OT Gus Parrish / Fenuki Tupoa

Rd 4 DT Terrence Taylor / Ron Brace

Rd 5 FS Louis Delmas/ Rashad Johnson

Rd 6 DE Mitch King / Pannel Egboh / Tim Jamison

Rd 7 FB Javorskie Lane

Rd 7b WR Jaison Williams
deweybeachde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZSteel View Post
This would be an excellent draft day. The first pick I may disagree with, but I think I would be happy at the end of the weekend in April. Couple options for the first pick:

1. Alex Boone, C - If we need help in the run game, a Center would surely help. And with Stapleton as our only backup, probably wouldn't be a bad idea, depth-wise.

2. Jason Smith, OT - We really do need to muster up and draft a tackle this year. If this play falls to us in the first, we take him, no questions asked.

3. Tyson Jackson, DE - Might be a risk to some of you, but this guy is equivalent as a jello mold to Aaron Smith as I've ever seen. Almost physically identical. And if we've got Aaron Smith on the team for a couple more years, who better to learn from?
I have to disagree with everything here.

1. Alex Boone is a LT from Ohio State.....not a center.

2. Jason Smith is being thought of by many as the 3rd best OT in the draft and shouldnt slip to the 2nd round. He is only around 300lbs which is somewhat small for a lot of OT's.

3. To call Tyson Jackson a "jello mold" of Aaron Smith is not accurate. Smith is a prototypical 3-4 DE that is gonna plug the run and maybe collapse the pocket. He likes contact. I have watche 3 or 4 LSU games this year and Tyson Jackson tries to run around blocks and play "pattycake" with the offensive blocker. The TE from Ole Miss handled him pretty well in pass rush. Smith will take on the blocker, Jackson tries to avoid it.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Sorry Browner3 Oghobaase has already indicated he is returning for his senior year. Draft geeks will have to wait another year for big vince to hit the boards
Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweybeachde View Post
Re sign McFadden & pick up a Vet OT like Vernon Carey or Khalif Barnes. if can't re sign McFadden, Carr is pretty good

Draft.......
Rd 1 OT Eben Britton / Jason Smith / Russell Okung

Rd 2 DE Peria Jerry / Tyson Jackson

Rd 3 C/G Max Unger / Jon Luigs

Rd 3b OT Gus Parrish / Fenuki Tupoa

Rd 4 DT Terrence Taylor / Ron Brace

Rd 5 FS Louis Delmas/ Rashad Johnson

Rd 6 DE Mitch King / Pannel Egboh / Tim Jamison

Rd 7 FB Javorskie Lane

Rd 7b WR Jaison Williams
the issue i have with this mock is that a lot of these players are heavily underrated... both rashad johnson and louis delmas are worth early 2nd round picks (delmas is a fringe 1st rounder) unger and luigs should both be gone by our pick in the 3rd... peria jerry is a legit 1st rounder and by the time the draft rolls around should be a top 15 pick... the idea is there however the players will not be...
Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

and btw u'd better be praying hard to see egboh or jamison anywhere near the 6th round...