Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Game Notes: Vikings

Let's start this off by saying, this was the 2nd game in a row of what Steeler Football really means. We pounded the rush, and only threw the ball 15 times. The offensive line was questionable at times, but overall they played a decent game. The running game was a bit of an issue. Their was hardly any holes all game, and the vikings d-line penetration was good, but we somehow still managed to get 100+.

Notes:
-For you Larry Foote critics, he had one hell of a game. Along with Joey Porter. I know one game doesnt determine a season, but this LB crew played like they should today. Do you still think changes are needed?

-Willie Parker, didnt do a whole lot other than those 2 big runs, but the holes just werent there today. Still managed a good 80.

-Ike Taylor. We have a star in the making on our hands, he has been solid the ENTIRE season. I think we finally found a shut-down corner we've been looking for. Had a fantastic game. I hope he sticks around pittsburgh for a LONG time.

-Big Ben. What happened? 10/15 isnt bad but it seemed like he lost a bit of confidense and got flustered a bit. We need him for the Browns game. That glove looks way to shiny, doesnt that glove scare anyone else? (fumbles). The pass blocking was fairly good, Ben was just indecisive and made them look worse than they played.

-ARE. You scared the shit out of me, but that 70+ return helped a bit. I'm still not sure if we should keep him for next year, but he can be a threat at times which always makes me think.

Those are my notes for the game, hopefully you enjoyed them. Feel free to share your opinions if you dont agree with me
Old 12-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: Game Notes: Vikings

I enjoyed the win but the secondary still looked suspect early in the game.

Randle El had me shaking my head also.
He had an easy first down on the reverse play late in the game if he had ran straight up the field but he must have thought he was returning a punt with the juke moves and ended up coming up a yard short.

Penalties 12-129yds.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

The Vikings defensive line got pressure and stopped the runs for the most part. Willie P. got most of his yards on two big runs but that's exactly what we expect from him. I think our team misses a big bruising RB like Bettis or Duce more than we realize.

Foote did well but I give the credit on the defensive coach who made the blitz calls. Joey? That interception was given to him. He's not a factor because he doesn't give 100% effort, it's like he's not even there. I would definately like to see improvement in our average NFL LB corp but I don't know where it could come from. I don't even think the top LB's in the draft are anything special.

Ike? I agree. Give him time and he should get better.

I wish they would keep Polo back more often. They try to blitz him up the middle but it never works. Send CB or LB blitzes instead and let Polo stay back and help cover the quick slants, run plays, and TE's.

Ben's didn't seem to roll out as much as he used to. I really think he is just beat up this year with injuries.

Randel El taketh away and giveth back. I would offer him a contract for about the same amount of money he earns now. If he wants anything more then let him go test the market. Either way we should draft a WR in the first round.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Lets face it, the Defense did its job today to help carry our offense. And jeff reed did his as well.

Our offense sputtered at times but we made the plays when we had too to gain a lead and keep it thanks to the defense.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Foote got knocked down on a play and still made a sack. That's hustle and heart, and that's what counts.

Parker is fast and furious, and he can break any play.

Disagree about Ben. He ran today for the first time in a long time, and ran effectively. That shows he has his old swagger back, thumb injury or not.

ARE was fine, but our kick coverage is not. If we play ST's the way we are now, we will be ripped up in the playoffs...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
I enjoyed the win but the secondary still looked suspect early in the game.

Randle El had me shaking my head also.
He had an easy first down on the reverse play late in the game if he had ran straight up the field but he must have thought he was returning a punt with the juke moves and ended up coming up a yard short.

Penalties 12-129yds.
I`ve been complaining about El for a few weeks now. Always going backwards on returns. Then he breaks one! Oh well just a case of " What have you done for me lately?? LOL
Old 12-19-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
The Vikings defensive line got pressure and stopped the runs for the most part. Willie P. got most of his yards on two big runs but that's exactly what we expect from him. I think our team misses a big bruising RB like Bettis or Duce more than we realize.

Foote did well but I give the credit on the defensive coach who made the blitz calls. Joey? That interception was given to him. He's not a factor because he doesn't give 100% effort, it's like he's not even there. I would definately like to see improvement in our average NFL LB corp but I don't know where it could come from. I don't even think the top LB's in the draft are anything special.

Ike? I agree. Give him time and he should get better.

I wish they would keep Polo back more often. They try to blitz him up the middle but it never works. Send CB or LB blitzes instead and let Polo stay back and help cover the quick slants, run plays, and TE's.

Ben's didn't seem to roll out as much as he used to. I really think he is just beat up this year with injuries.

Randel El taketh away and giveth back. I would offer him a contract for about the same amount of money he earns now. If he wants anything more then let him go test the market. Either way we should draft a WR in the first round.
i dunno about all this talk of Joey not going 100%. Watching the game today showed me he goes 100% every play. Porter came off most of those corners very quick, and beat the linemen, he was just a little to slow due to johnsons quick release. but i thought the effort was there
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
StillerPaul
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Lets face it, the Defense did its job today to help carry our offense. And jeff reed did his as well.

Our offense sputtered at times but we made the plays when we had too to gain a lead and keep it thanks to the defense.
I couldn't agree more. Were you having 70's flashbacks like i was?

Our O will be fine. That was a very good front 7 we played IMO.