Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default TOO FAR Steelers' fans take towel too seriously

TOO FAR Steelers' fans take towel too seriously
Public Opinion Online
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/sports/ci_11322363

My wife and everybody in her family is from Pittsburgh, loves the Steelers and isn't afraid to have a good time when the Black and Gold is rockin'.

Well, last week the Steelers got rocked 31-14 by the Tennessee Titans in a tough, gritty game.

Once the Titans had more or less secured the victory, running back LenDale White pulled out a Steelers' Terrible Towel and began dancing and grinding it into the ground.

Evidently, some Steelers fans felt White should apologize.

It's a towel, man.

Granted it is Terrible, but it's still a towel.

Any Steeler fan worth his or her weight in salt secretly loved White's dance. Yeah, you might've been irritated, but you also know how much more that pours gas on the fire of fandomonium and feeds deep-seeded "hatred" that we all like to conjure up for rivalries.

Anymore, any negative comment, profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery comment or bone-jarring hit can be used as bulletin-board material or great reference point for a pregame speech when two teams play. One can't say or do anything even slightly confrontational and not be called some sort of ogre.

Bulletin-board fodder is not reserved just for the actual players. Fans have memories like elephants. Even as the Steelers play their first playoff game, talk will turn to the Terrible Towel Dance and how sweet it would be to play the Titans again. It's part of the fun and intensity of it all.

It's good -hearted fun when these players hype the defeat. And when you win a physically destructive game like the Titans-Steelers, you don't start speaking in the Queen's English and smartly extol the toughness of being a titanic individual from Nashville. The celebration might be both emotional and spontaneous.

Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher responded the same way I have -- by more or less waving off the complaints, saying he doesn't think the Steelers can play any harder because they always play hard. If you watched Sunday's game, you know it was a bonecrusher.

While he's 99% right, I do believe some players need anything, and I mean anything, to get the mental edge. Even though big games are big games, it's still another game. When you see guys like Ray Lewis going nutso before the game, it's because playing the game itself sometimes isn't enough. There is being excited to play and then there's being completely focused and dialed in ... and sometimes a towel can provide that extra "umph."

Even though the towel mashing was insignificant in the scheme of things, you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll become the focus of the game for the media and the fans. There won't be as much talk about Ben Roethlisberger getting racked up continuously by blue-and-white clad Titans last Sunday as there will be about a disheveled gold rag.

So my point is this: If the two teams play again, thank LenDale White for providing the added spark for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Thank White for an even more vigorous display of towel waving after every good play. And Titans fans can thank White for what is surely going to be a free Tennessee Towel giveaway if, and when, Pittsburgh heads to Nashville.

Heck, maybe one of the big three automakers or AIG can sponsor the towels ... and then we can ALL do the Monster Mash on them.

Graham Messner, a former coach at the high school level, is a local columnist for Public Opinion. He may be reached at graham@innernet.net.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230
Default Re: TOO FAR Steelers' fans take towel too seriously

Yay! We should take dumps on their field after we leave with a W next time!
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Guttpuppy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9534

Funny, this article is from my hometown rag and I went to school with the writer.

He's simply saying what we already know. Go Graham!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Hell to pay!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Hell hath no greater fury than a Terrible Towel scorned.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I believe that as fans we have taken this worse publicly then the players or the organization. But privately i think the players took this as "rubbing their nose it". I played sports and to lose to a better opponent or to an equal who has played better is disappointing but is taken in stride. On those occasions that we lost and then the other team or opponent did something to show us up we remember. Do I think extra incentive is possibly even at the pro level, yes I do, because money, glory, accomplishments are great ,but pride and revenge can and will drive any competitor. I even understand the Titans mindset in that they heard all week how the Steelers where going to come in and beat them, how all those Steeler fans where there and waving their Towels. In the end though they could have won with class and they could have throw up to any member of the media how they had sold them short and this was a statement game. Anyone who does not believe you can get anymore incentive out of the pros of today have to look no further than the motivators behind the scenes of most teams,i.e. ours in the past like Joey Porter, Cowher, Tomlin of today.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post

It's a towel, man.

Granted it is Terrible, but it's still a towel.

].

HOMER POLICE............. Anyone that agrees with this statement may turn in their black and gold glasses at the door on their way out.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Sorry, but that is a lame article. The terrible towel is a sacred thing in Pittsburgh. The players and fans know this. And I guarantee that if we do play the Titans again, the players will be looking to punish that team for the bullshit acts they did at the end of the regular season game.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
cowboykilla
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9604

You are a
Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800