Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886
Exclamation Super Bowl Lottery

i had this crazy notion and i hope people just don't really dismiss it. i think it might be a good idea. here it goes...

remember back in the day of Major League Baseball when the American League and the National League would play in the All-Star and it wouldn't really matter. now flashforward a few years and the winner of the All-Star game gets homefield advantage through the playoffs in October? remember that?

well, take thoese ideas and put them into the NFL. the winning team of the Pro Bowl gets not home field advantage into the playoffs, but the winning conference gets put into a random drawn lottery. the team that gets picked from that division gets to host the Super Bowl. -- SO, hypothetically, the AFC wins the Pro Bowl and then every team from that conference gets thrown into a lottery bin and randomly drawn. now, say they pick the Steelers. regardless of the outcome of the regular season, playoffs, and conference championships...the AFC and NFC winners play the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh.

why you ask? well, i guess i don't really have a reason why i think this. i just think it would be a good idea to play in the elements and make it easier for fans to make it to the Super Bowl whether their team is playing or not. -- SO, say Tampa Bay makes it to the Super Bowl this year and they play IN Tampa Bay...wouldn't that be a home field advantage that they didn't gain in the playoffs!? i think it'd even the playing feild out a little more and make things interesting.

please don't dismiss...discuss. =)
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Super Bowl Lottery

I think the Super Bowl is such a hyped-up, manufactured event that they'd be afraid to even TRY organizing it if they didn't know the location until two weeks beforehand. And with how much the league is willing to fellate anything and everything that can bring them in some cash, do you really think they'd be willing to risk their billion-dollar payday for the spirit of competition?

Can you imagine if they played the Super Bowl in Buffalo or Green Bay in -10 degree weather? Goodell would probably kill himself. Same thing if it happened in San Francisco or Oakland, or any other place without a Brand New Stadium And Hundreds Of Luxury Boxes.

Yeah, in terms of making it the best, truest, most competitive game for the fans, this is definitely the right idea. But they'll never do it because of the money, just like a college football playoff.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that won't work b/c for all the festivals and things they do with the SB.. they need warm weather and not cold weather that could poss snow...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
that won't work b/c for all the festivals and things they do with the SB.. they need warm weather and not cold weather that could poss snow...
i agree that the weather and elements really come into play when it comes to picking a venue for a huge football event like this, but what about the Colts win in Super Bowl XLI when it was raining like a hooker!? haha!

yeah, the cold weather sucks. but most teams throughout their season play atleast 2 games in the snow and atleast one in the rain. why make the Super Bowl any different?

i just think it would be great to have a chance for OUR team to host the Super Bowl for once. who cares about the weather? Steeler fans LOVE the cold...i think, right?! haha!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
yeah, the cold weather sucks. but most teams throughout their season play atleast 2 games in the snow and atleast one in the rain. why make the Super Bowl any different?
Again, that's a great idea for competitiveness and for the fans (most of them, anyway).

Unfortunately, the Super Bowl is no longer for the fans and it isn't about the spirit of competition; it's about raking in billions of dollars from big corporate sponsors. For this game, it's pretty clear that the league thinks of the "real" fans almost as a nuisance that's grudgingly tolerated so they can keep the appearance of fairness. Forget the fans who actually care about football; they want to appeal to the big-spending nimrods who are just caught up in the spectacle. And for that, they need to make the Super Bowl into such a carefully orchestrated, massively polished event that even Martha Stewart would call them anal.