Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Roethlisberger's head injury puts big damper on easy victory against lowly Cleveland

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08364/938272-66.stm

Roethlisberger's head injury puts big damper on easy victory against lowly Cleveland
Sputtering running game finds its way again as Parker rushes for 116 yards; win completes tough slate with 12-4 mark
Monday, December 29, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-GazetteBen Roethlisberger absorbs the Cleveland gang tackle led by Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson that knocked him from the game.The Steelers yesterday used the lowly Cleveland Browns to triumphantly springboard into the playoffs, but not before their quarterback put a momentary lump in their throats when he was carted off the field just before the first half.

But Ben Roethlisberger, who has made comebacks on and off the field a hallmark of his five-year career, likely will do it again. He was diagnosed with a concussion and "At this point, all tests are negative, which is positive," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We are optimistic of where he is going to be capable of being."

Roethlisberger was taken to a local hospital, where initial plans were to have him remain overnight for observation.

That was the good news on one of the few pieces of bad news for the Steelers in their 31-0 thumping of the Browns, who finished one of their most disappointing seasons at 4-12 amid reports that coach Romeo Crennel will be fired this week.

The Steelers wrapped up one of their best regular seasons at 12-4 and felt their lopsided victory in what was a meaningless game to their playoff position would bode well for them when they open their run for the Super Bowl as the AFC's No. 2 seed.

"That was the exclamation point that we were looking for to end our regular season," said Tomlin, who played all but two of his starters, both injured. "Hopefully that momentum will prepare us for January football."

Not accounting for the opponent, the Steelers played their most dominant game of the season. Willie Parker had 116 yards of their 176 rushing, including the season's longest run from scrimmage, a 34-yard touchdown. The NFL's No. 1-ranked defense smothered Pittsburgh native Bruce Gradkowski and his passing offense, holding it to 20 net yards.

Things went so poorly for Gradkowski (5 of 16, 18 yards, 3 sacks) that his leading receiver was Steelers free safety Tyrone Carter. He intercepted two of his passes and returned them a combined 50 yards, including one for 32 yards and a touchdown. The Browns' only receiver with more than one catch was third-string halfback Jerome Harrison, who had two receptions for minus-1 yard.

"It is great being out there again," said Carter, who started for injured Ryan Clark, "being part of a great win, not only for me but my teammates, as well as going into this playoff roll with a big win and carrying that momentum over to the next game."

It took a while for that momentum to build, in part because Roethlisberger was intercepted at the Browns' 6 in the first quarter and because his long touchdown pass to Nate Washington was negated by a holding penalty.

Yet, once the spigots opened, they poured it on the Browns, who were shut out in consecutive games for the first time in franchise history and ended the season without scoring an offensive touchdown in their final six games.

Parker, running behind a fullback in the I-formation far more than in any game this season, turned the corner around right end, slipped some grasps of a few Browns and ran 34 yards into the end zone with 4:07 left in the first half for the game's initial score.

The plan was to run, an order Tomlin issued a week ago, and they did just that as Parker topped 100 for the first time since Nov. 16 against San Diego.

"It was a good feeling knowing we were going to go out there and run it and it was up to their defense to stop it," Parker said. "Their defense didn't give up, we just had it in our mind-set we were going to run the ball and we just kept pounding."

Roethlisberger was injured on the third play of their next series when he was knocked to the surface by linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson and his head bounced off the turf.

Byron Leftwich completed the drive and, on third down, scrambled up the middle for 8 yards and a touchdown and a 14-0 lead 32 seconds before the half.

Carter got things going in the second half when he intercepted a pass after blitzing cornerback Bryant McFadden hit Gradkowski's arm. That led to Jeff Reed's 22-yard field goal. Gary Russell ended an 88-yard drive by running 3 yards for a touchdown and a 24-0 lead. A minute later, Carter intercepted a deflected pass and returned it 32 yards for the final score.

Cleveland's Jamal Lewis did wind up topping 1,000 yards for the season by rushing for 94 yards, the most against the Steelers defense this season. But in the overall scheme of things, including some heavy substitutions on that No. 1 defense in the final quarter, it meant little, other than denying the Steelers a spot as the No. 1 defense against the rush.

The Steelers had some milestones of their own with Hines Ward catching his 800th career pass from rookie quarterback Dennis Dixon in the fourth quarter, and topping 1,000 yards receiving for the fifth time.

But the game was more about the future than it was about the past, the future being nearly two weeks from now when they open the playoffs at Heinz Field.

"We feel like we can play with anyone," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

"We've done a good job of putting us in position to make a run, now we just need to do it. We need to seize the opportunity and do it."
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Roethlisberger's head injury puts big damper on easy victory against lowly Clevel

That's fine. One more reason for people to be surprised when we come out and dickslap everyone in a couple weeks. Fricking yawn.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Roethlisberger's head injury puts big damper on easy victory against lowly Clevel

Quote:
The plan was to run, an order Tomlin issued a week ago, and they did just that as Parker topped 100 for the first time since Nov. 16 against San Diego.
You have GOT to love this coach
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It was good to see Parker back over a 100 yards I just hope he can do it against a better deffense then the browns.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You have GOT to love this coach

Quote:

176 total rushing yards is pretty impressive as well.

That somewhat answers a question that I asked on a different thread. I was wondering if the I-Formation running was Arians doing or an order from Tomlin.

Whatever the case may be, I SUPPORT IT 100%. I know that it was just the Browns but nonetheless, that running game looked GOOD yesterday.

And you're right Preacher, as a football fan in general, "you truly do have to love Mike Tomlin".
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I really hope we can run against our next opponent in 2 weeks. It was nice to see that burst from FWP again.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

"You will use the I formation Bruce"

"But I like the...."

"That's an order. Now salute me and walk away"

176 yards later..."Captain my Captain"
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
"You will use the I formation Bruce"

"But I like the...."

"That's an order. Now salute me and walk away"

176 yards later..."Captain my Captain"
Somehow I think it wasnt as strong as this, but probably something like it. Tomlin seems to be a guy that lets his coaches and players do their jobs and trusts them to do them well.

But I don't think Tomlin is blind to the fact that 1. the running game went south, 2. his RB has been talking publicly about wanting a FB and 3. we rarely use a FB. Its kind of a case of giving your employees the tools they need to succeed. The other possibliity is that Arians wanted to experiment more with an I formation and McHugh.

Either way, the idea of McHugh as a lead blocker for our RB's instead of Carey Davis is something that I never would have though of.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
LetsRock
Water Boy

Member Number: 2733

Arians had better learn from this game. He has two weeks to re-tool the running game and get it back to the plays that actually work.
LetsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

good to see Kemo have a good game! opening holes for FWP.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote