Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger's health far from only concern

Roethlisberger's health far from only concern
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=9
By Mike Prisuta, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 29, 2008

Mike Prisuta is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail.

The scene was almost surreal initially, what with Ben Roethlisberger prone on the Heinz Field turf for what seemed like forever, more than a dozen Steelers medical and emergency personnel hovering over him and a crowd of 63,533 holding its collective breath.

Once the Browns had been dispatched, 31-0, and word had reached the Steelers locker room late Sunday afternoon that all was relatively well with their quarterback, the players were able to laugh about all that had transpired just prior to halftime.

"It's their job to take every precaution possible, and they did that," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "Any time you're dealing with a head, especially in this business, you have to be careful."

And if it would have been Keisel's head rather than Big Ben's?

"There's one guy there kicking me in the head saying, 'Do you feel that? Is there any numbness there?'" Keisel said.

"He's a high-profile guy, and he's a big reason we're in the situation that we're in. You have to take care of him and make sure everything's cool."

One tip-off that Roethlisberger would be OK was the thumbs-up gesture he offered just before the cart delivering him to the locker room disappeared up the tunnel, a response to a suggestion from linebacker James Farrior.

Another was that even as Roethlisberger was having his facemask removed and being strapped to a stretcher, there were no groups of players kneeling, holding hands and praying.

It was a concussion, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, which was the best news possible.

So, that's one crisis averted.

But whether Roethlisberger is healthy or not, there are issues these Steelers must confront.

The offensive line remains one of those, as it relates to protection, the goal-line/short-yardage offense and the closing out of games.

The line isn't solely responsible for the difficulties the Steelers have experienced in those areas this season, but it certainly hasn't asserted itself as a confidence-inspiring element of an offense that entered Week 17 ranked No. 23 overall on merit.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes has likewise left 'em wanting more, even at 12-4.

Holmes caught his career-high 53rd pass with just over two minutes remaining in the first half against Cleveland. Still, given what was expected and what Homes remains capable of, his third season has to be characterized as a disappointment.

The situation up front isn't likely to dramatically improve in the playoffs given the caliber of the defensive front sevens they'll be facing (this just in, Cleveland didn't make the playoffs).

But Holmes has another gear, another level of excellence in him that he must find and consistently display if the Steelers are to make the most of this opportunity.

That goes for punt returns as well as whatever happens when Holmes is on the receiving end of passes.

He flashed a hint of what he's capable of on punt returns at New England and against Dallas. But for the most part this season, punt and kickoff returns have been a concession.

That's tough to overcome even with a No. 1 defense.

Roethlisberger's survival of Cleveland helps ensures nothing.

The Steelers all might want to strap themselves in. The ride is about to get bumpy.

(Hopefully Holmes has learned his lesson and will stay away from the damn weed in the future. If nothing else it was a distraction and I haven't run accross many successful potheads outside of the entertainment field. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203
Default Re: Roethlisberger's health far from only concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
(Hopefully Holmes has learned his lesson and will stay away from the damn weed in the future. If nothing else it was a distraction and I haven't run accross many successful potheads outside of the entertainment field. - mesa)
Hopefully Holmes is playing football for another team next year. He has been a disappointment anyway, and now he is heading into Plax territory.....stupid mistakes that muddy up the locker room. Get him out of here.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
BlackAndGold4Ever
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 8179

I don't know, I like Holmes. Not as a kick returner, but he has alot of potential to be a spectacular receiver in the NFL.....unfortunetly it is only potential at this point. I'd really like to see him on the team for one more year you know the saying "you don't know what ya have till its gone"

www.steelersinhoboken.com
BlackAndGold4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Hopefully Holmes is playing football for another team next year. He has been a disappointment anyway, and now he is heading into Plax territory.....stupid mistakes that muddy up the locker room. Get him out of here.

-Mike
oh hell no! he needs to stay!! i really think plax is a spoiled lil boy and doesnt listen to anyone. I think coach sitting him and speaking to him had a postive effect on him. he has a supporting group here with vets and coaches. Dont give up on him cause the whole Offense was in a funk this year. He has made clutch cathes and scores for us hell with out him scoring in both ratbirds games i am sure we would have lost especially the first game.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Holmes just doesn't seem to get it. The so called best receiver on the team needs to be in absolute and total synch with the QB. He needs to get his head out of his arse and start working with Ben in the offseason to get that rhythm. When Ben wants to break off the route, Holmes hardly ever gets it right. Nate Washington seems to get it better than Holmes does.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post

-Mike
I think you're being a little rough on Santo, Mike. There have been several Steelers players who have "muddied up the locker room" this season with their off the field antics, including James Harrison. Get a better line in front of Ben, give him an extra second or two to find Santo and the two of them will light up the field. Santo is a diamond in the rough imho.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557
My Mood: Twisted

Do you have some kind of ESP that's telling you that Sweed is going to step up next year and be a great reciever so we can just get rid of Santonio? I can't see that. We need to keep Santonio, this is only his 3rd year. He'll be a star in the future, do you want to see him be a star on another team??
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

As much as I love Ben...

The fact is, When Santo was playing with Leftwich, there didn't seem to be any missed assignments.

I wouldn't lay it all on Santo.

Somehow, he and Ben has to get in sync.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
Frankie3521
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10456

Getting rid of Santo would be stupid, we are short of offensive threats as it is, why remove possibly our best?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

IMO, this paticular injury could either prove to be the butt-kicker or the down-spiral for Big Ben. Butt-kicker in the sense that he needs to play sharp 24/7 and develop as a quarterback. Down-spiral in the sense that he's been hurt alot recently and could slide into mediocrity.

I also think that the offense kinda just lets Ben do all the work. Maybe, even if Ben is laid up for a week, all the rest of offense will step up their respective games for him and come out hot.

Could be what we need. Or it could be disaster. Some concussions seem to linger for weeks.