Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Phillip Rivers And Matt Schaub

Two QB's who seem likely to be on the move next year as they seem to have no realistic chance to surpassing the teams No.1 QB.

Phillip Rivers is an unproven draft pick who must rue the day he decided to play hardball over his rookie contract - but I think some team will be willing to burn a draft pick for him...maybe we are talking a 2nd and a 4th.

Matt Schaub impressed me when I watched him play the Pats this year, sure the Pats D was in disarray at the time but you look at the guy and he gives you confidence that he is the real deal.

I contrast that with someone like Kyle Orton who clearly doesn't have the weapons, and maybe never will have, to make it as a top flight NFL QB.

Personally I think its a shame that Schaub isnt given a serious run at the No.1 spot at Atlanta - but im afraid the management there have invested too much time and money into the Michael Vick experience to back down now.

So.....where do you think these guys will be next year, and before anyone posts it...NEITHER will be a back-up to Big Ben.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Phillip Rivers And Matt Schaub

I see Schuab in Miami.They need a guy to be THE QB,and they don't have it in either guy they have right now.They won't be in the Leinart lottery either,thier record is too good.The only thing I can see them doing besides taking Schuab is waiting until next year and taking Brady Quinn out of Notre Dame (that is if he's not the #1 pick).

Rivers I think will end up in New Orleans,if they don't draft Leinart.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

I like both of your scenarios - two very viable homes for both the QB's.

So, how much do you think Miami and N.O. would be willing to give up for these two QB's - I suppose you could make an argument that both will have improved since they were drafted - even if they have spent large portions of time on the bench.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I like both of your scenarios - two very viable homes for both the QB's.

So, how much do you think Miami and N.O. would be willing to give up for these two QB's - I suppose you could make an argument that both will have improved since they were drafted - even if they have spent large portions of time on the bench.

NM
I don't think Miami will give up thier #1 pick (he isn't worth one,at the moment) but possibly a third or fourth rounder.

With New Orleans,who knows?The team is in so much turmoil right now.But I think they'd give up a second or third rounder for Rivers.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

hell maybe even the cowboys should go after one of these guys, romo is nothing more a clip board holder lifer and henson ain't even worth putting on the practice squad, and since drew bledsoe is old they might want to make a move for one of these two. miami should wait till next year to get a rookie qb to develope like vince young or brady quinn, saints i don't think will trade for one of these guys they drafted a qb that some ppl are high on, that peterson or some shit, the guy from flordia state and then rookie of the year in the afl, so they might want to see if he can be any good before they invest in a qb that can be a francihse qb.

and why would the falcons give up on vick now? he fills the stands, and he wins games. probably won't win a championship but they'll be in the playoff hunt every year with him out there. and they'll still make money, the nfl benefits from him cause even when he plays shitty teams out of town the stadiums will fill up cause they wanna see him play. so i wouldn't give up on him at all
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
LondonSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 403

if i were the bears, id try to get hold of the backup at tenessee, volek, hes shown he can win games and not make many mistakes, and is proven in the league, unlike rivers...

Made by BB2W!
LondonSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Koopa
Living Legend

ain't he already getting old? i'd rather take one of the younger dudes, plus grossman might still be good if he stays healthy, and hell maybe with a year of experince orton might get better, he's still learning how to play under the center.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

I quite like Grossman at the Bears.

I am hoping that the fact that he injury prone is not as much of a handicap as not being able to throw the ball within 5 yards of your receiver on a 5yd short out pattern ( see Kyle Orton)

There is a noticeable upturn in the body language of the Bears offense when he is leading them - Orton may well be a nice guy but I cant ever really see him getting it done at this level.

Bledsoe has had a nice year for the Cowboys, which leads me to believe that -

1. His pass protection is doing a very nice job.

2. The NFC isn't up to much in terms of pass rush.

I think Henson will be eased into the line-up sometime next year with Bledsoe staying as a rookie insurance back-up.

NM
Old 12-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
LondonSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa
ain't he already getting old? i'd rather take one of the younger dudes, plus grossman might still be good if he stays healthy, and hell maybe with a year of experince orton might get better, he's still learning how to play under the center.
yup, good point, but with the bears, their qb situation has been so terrible for so long, i mean, if you want a guaranteed 'legit' starter then id trade for volek myself, rivers and schaub havent proven it yet, although i was impressed with schaub in the pats game.

with grossman? my personal opinion on him is hes a choker, mainly from his days at florida, i also hate this hype around him, look at his nfl stats, average at best so far...

Made by BB2W!
LondonSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #10
Koopa
Living Legend

this is henson second year in the league and he was worthless last year and in the preaseason this year, he's like orton, a guy that probably can't cut it at this level, he might as well go back to the yankees cause he will not last in the nfl. and bledsoe started off with a good year but lately (not counting the chiefs game) he has cost them and is still the same old drew that hangs on to the ball to damn long and can't run if his life depended on it.