Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Roethlisberger's injury 'mild'

Roethlisberger's injury 'mild'
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger was not the only Steelers player who left Sunday's game after a blow to the head. He was the only one who left Heinz Field in an ambulance.

The other, safety Tyrone Carter, left the field briefly in the first quarter, then returned and intercepted two passes, proving there are concussions, and then there are concussions.

"Even though I had a concussion and Tyrone Carter had a concussion in the last game, it all depends on the severity of it," safety Troy Polamalu said.

Polamalu left the Oct. 19 game in Cincinnati after tackling Bengals back Cedrick Benson. He returned to practice the following Wednesday and started the next game against the New York Giants.

Roethlisberger also is likely to start the next game when the Steelers open the playoffs at home. Sources yesterday described his concussion as "mild" or "low grade," and coach Mike Tomlin would not rule out him practicing this week.

Roethlisberger watched Steelers practice yesterday, then left quickly afterward without speaking to the news media.

Tomlin said his quarterback will continue to undergo tests but sounded optimistic Roethlisberger will play Jan. 11.

"He's doing better," Tomlin said. "He's starting the process of taking the battery of tests that come after one sustains a concussion. I don't know where we are in regards to those tests. We have less urgency this time around because we don't play on Sunday, quite honestly.

"We will proceed slowly with him because we have that luxury. But we feel comfortable with where he is relative to Sunday and where he's capable of being next week in preparation for our game."

It was at least Roethlisberger's third concussion in 2 1/2 years. He suffered one in his infamous motorcycle accident in June 2006 and another in Atlanta that October. It's possible he could have had more, because not every concussion is revealed publicly by the Steelers.

Carter left Sunday's game during the Steelers' first defensive series after he tackled receiver Donte Stallworth. At the time, his return was described as questionable because of "a blow to the head."

"I was woozy a little bit, but it wasn't like a concussion or they never would have let me back in," Carter said.

He said he answered all the doctor's questions, including the play in which he was injured.

"When I hit the dude, I felt numbness in my hand a little bit and I was trying to wait for it to come back because I didn't have any feelings at first," Carter remembered. "Then, I stepped up and I was not light-headed, but I was weak. When I got to the sideline, I knew everything. It was some freaky stuff."

Polamalu's concussion in October was his second in the past three seasons and seventh confirmed since his high school days.

"I think they're excellent how they deal with concussions," he said of the Steelers. "The doctors have to clear you. You have to be really honest with the doctors."

Roethlisberger's last public concussion occurred Oct. 22, 2006, in Atlanta. He started, amidst great public debate, the following week in Oakland and threw four interceptions, two returned for touchdowns, and was sacked five times in a 30-23 loss to the Raiders.

It does not mean there will be a repeat performance this time, his teammates say.

"We're not going off with what's happened in previous years or anything like that," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

"I think he's OK. I talked to him, he's doing all right. I don't know if he's clear yet, he got his bell rung pretty good and it takes a little time to shake those bells out of your ears.

"I've had a few. I think most people who play this game get a few. He just hit hard and hit wrong. Anytime you slap your head on the back like that it's going to leave you a little fuzzy, but I think he's going to be OK."

Byron Leftwich, who replaced Roethlisberger at the end of the first half Sunday and helped the Steelers to a 31-0 victory against the Browns, took most of the snaps in practice yesterday.

"The great thing is that all the tests on him were negative, so it's just a concussion," Leftwich said. "We say 'just' because they happen every week in football. You just hope that he can respond well and come back from it and get a chance to practice and doesn't have any lingering effects from it.

"He seemed cool to me, everything seemed cool, nothing I'd put a red flag up from talking to him or anything. He's the same old Ben."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08366/938762-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Roethlisberger's injury 'mild'

Quote:
"He seemed cool to me, everything seemed cool, nothing I'd put a red flag up from talking to him or anything. He's the same old Ben."
That could be good......or bad.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
That could be good......or bad.
Could we get the old Ben from 2005?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

ben whats 2+2??? uuhhh 6

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

...and still Ben can't talk for himself?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,669 Times in 1,757 Posts

Old snickers commercial......

Who are you, whats your name?

I'm Batman.

[YOUTUBE]GPRscxQZs8E[/YOUTUBE]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

MACH, I had forgotten about that one. I'm still laughing.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
...and still Ben can't talk for himself?
I think that's Tomlin's doing...he doesn't allow any player to discuss an injury. That's why Ben's stock reply to every question about an injury is "you have to ask Coach."
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Old snickers commercial......

Who are you, whats your name?

I'm Batman.

[youtube]GPRscxQZs8E[/youtube]
Batman!!

I forgot about that one too... hilarious!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that commercial is funny as hell..

ben prob thinking his is the man of steel

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote