Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger challenged by poor O-line, heavy pressure

Scout's Eye

Roethlisberger challenged by poor O-line, heavy pressure

By Nolan Nawrocki
Dec. 22, 2008

NFL Scout's Eye: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson laid the groundwork in Week Three. Johnson's former understudy and Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo copied the blueprint in Week Eight. Bring heavy pressure against Ben Roethlisberger and he can be taken out of his element. Facing a Titans defensive line that was without stalwarts Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch, the edge seemed as though it would lie with the Steelers' line protecting Roethlisberger.

However, a deficient offensive line really struggled to protect the edges and consistently was whipped by a pair of rookies — DT Jason Jones and DE William Hayes — inside and outside. With consistent pressure coming in his face, Roethlisberger was often distracted and unable to hold on to the ball, fumbling four times and losing two. And the few times he did have time to throw and the pocket was clean, he was forcing the ball, as he did on the game-changing interception by Michael Griffin late in the third quarter that he tossed into double coverage with no one around him.

Having the NFL's top-ranked defense has been the single-biggest reason for the Steelers' success this season and Dick LeBeau's "D" will be needed to carry the Steelers through the playoffs.

(Rest of the article is not about the Steelers. - mesa)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW.../eye112208.htm
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Roethlisberger challenged by poor O-line, heavy pressure

we all know that our Oline sucks to high heaven. and its their fault that ben got that concussion i am so sick of every news outlet telling us that its our defense that has made us 12 - 4. i am not saying that they havent saved the offensives butt, but i mean enough with it already. here is hoping that ben is well enough to play and can play great so the defense can take a break.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
we all know that our Oline sucks to high heaven. and its their fault that ben got that concussion i am so sick of every news outlet telling us that its our defense that has made us 12 - 4. i am not saying that they havent saved the offensives butt, but i mean enough with it already. here is hoping that ben is well enough to play and can play great so the defense can take a break.

Well, the fact of the matter is that without this strong D, we probably would be 5-11, 6-10 this year.

Ben as been been able to move the offense and score the winning TD's when necessary, so I never count this team out. However, the strength of this team right now, is the D.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Arians needs to come to gameday with a backup plan all set if teams bring the house against Ben all day ala Philly and the Giants.

The thing about the Philly game was the ineptitude to adjust to what was going on. If that happens again, we just need to go no-huddle as much as possible. I don't know if Ben will be up to par to captain such a manuever, but he's usually pretty good at it.

That's the only thing that I know of that will work. Of course, a good running game would help too.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I agree with our offensive line but when Ben don't turn the ball over we win games and that will hold true in the playoffs.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post
Arians needs to come to gameday with a backup plan all set if teams bring the house against Ben all day ala Philly and the Giants.
I will be surprised if teams DON'T "bring the house". So ya, I completely agree here Steelman.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Well, the fact of the matter is that without this strong D, we probably would be 5-11, 6-10 this year.

Ben as been been able to move the offense and score the winning TD's when necessary, so I never count this team out. However, the strength of this team right now, is the D.
Can't disagree there, Father. I give credit where credit is due and as you stated, Ben has brought the O back late in the game to seal the W, but this team's strength this season has most definitely been the play of our outstanding D.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman16 View Post

The thing about the Philly game was the ineptitude to adjust to what was going on. If that happens again, we just need to go no-huddle as much as possible. I don't know if Ben will be up to par to captain such a manuever, but he's usually pretty good at it.

That's the only thing that I know of that will work. Of course, a good running game would help too.

This line has been a never ending source of frustration for me. They have been inconsistent at best, but most often just plain awful, and IMO Ben has take a lions share of the blame that belong to that line. They have however, played fairly well at times, and if they can catch on fire in the playoffs, and look like men that are actually getting payed for this, I think Ben can still show what he did when he helped take up to the SB.

However, right now I have lost all faith in these guys and hope Arians has a plan B, that might, in part, negate our line play.

Please guys at least get in front of someone, even if you get ran over at least you'll slow them down.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

And here I thought all us homers and fluffers thought the only reason we are 12-4 is because of Ben.

Here's to our T-E-A-M bringing home number #6.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
And here I thought all us homers and fluffers thought the only reason we are 12-4 is because of Ben.

Here's to our T-E-A-M bringing home number #6.
I do, but I don't want to start another hate Ben thread.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote