Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Black and gold sheep living in Coltsí country

(Ok the article is not really about the current team so I will understand if the article gets moved. However it is a nicely written story about a Steelers fan. - mesa)

Black and gold sheep living in Coltsí country
By Tom Taylor
January 2, 2009
http://www.tmnews.com/stories/2009/0....nw-906169.tms

The NFL playoffs are here again and once more it is time for me to be the black sheep of the family. Maybe I should say black and gold sheep.

You see, I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan in Bedford, and most of my family and friends are Indianapolis Colts fans. Even on Sunday mornings at church I canít escape the Colts fans as several in the congregation display their jerseys during Sunday morning worship services.

Donít get me wrong, I donít hate the Colts. In fact as long as they arenít playing my Steelers, I cheer for them. But my heart belongs to the Steelers. I remember just a few short years ago sitting in the living room of my best friends, Scot and Rachel Fishback, watching the Colts/Steelers AFC playoff game and being subjected to harassment from not only my friends but from my wife Shelly, and step son, Brett, as well. I was the only Steelers fan there. Fortunately for me the Steelers won and I was vindicated. The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl that year as well. After the Colts/Steelers game this season Brett called me specifically to rub my nose in the loss. Weíll see what happens in the postseason Brett!

I blame my father, Bill, for this mess. He is a Steelers fan as well, but he divides his time between two teams, the Steelers and the Washington Redskins. He taught me when I was very young to appreciate the toughness of the Steelers and steered me away from my affection for the Miami Dolphins. (I was 3 years old! Give me a break! What 3 year old doesnít think a helmet with a dolphin on it is awesome!?)

Since that time, I have followed the Steelers. I remember the lean years when we were terrible to the years we were The Terrible Towels. I remember the back to back Super Bowls (twice!) and the indignation of not even making the playoffs following the last Super Bowl win. My favorite player on offense was the center Mike Webster, God rest his soul. I remember that no matter how cold it was he had on short sleeves tucked into his pads and hand pads, but the rest of his arms were bare. My favorite player on offense was LC Greenwood. He was one of the front four in the Steel Curtain defense. He was the quiet member of the defense. He wasnít as popular as Mean Joe Greene but he put up some impressive numbers. Unofficially he had five sacks in four Super Bowl appearances, three were of Roger Staubach of the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl X. I even had his number on my jersey in high school.

So even when the Colts moved to Indianapolis and we had a hometown team so to speak, I couldnít find it in my heart to jump ship and give up my allegiance to the Steelers. So year in and year out, I bleed black and gold while my family and friends cheer for the Colts. I will take the harassment from family, friends and even from a certain Assistant Editor and continue to cheer for my Steelers. So as all of you Crossroads Community Church wear your Colts jerseys each Sunday, remember there is a brother there with you in the pew that respects your choice but will always be a Steelers fan.

Guest Columnist Tom Taylor welcomes comments by e-mail at ttaylor@tmnews.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665
Default Re: Black and gold sheep living in Coltsí country

Nice story. i feel the same way. Since i live here in LA, everybody and they moma are charger or raider fans, and some left over from the rams days. I been following the steelers since the days of, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Green, rod woodson, carnell Lake, Neil O" Donnell ETC..

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu43 View Post
Nice story. ifeel the same way. Since i live here in LA, everybody and they moma are charger or raider fans, and some left over from the rams days. I been following the steelers since the days of, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Green, rod woodson, carnell Lake, Neil O" Donnell ETC..
I used to live in San Diego so I know how you feel. Here in Phoenix however the force of the Steeler Nation is strong in the Valley of the Sun. I can always go up to Harold's Corral and party with a few thousand of my closest Steeler friends. It never ceases to amaze me how many Steeler fans are here most of which have never been east of the Mississippi.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I used to live in San Diego so I know how you feel. Here in Phoenix however the force of the Steeler Nation is strong in the Valley of the Sun. I can always go up to Harold's Corral and party with a few thousand of my closest Steeler friends. It never ceases to amaze me how many Steeler fans are here most of which have never been east of the Mississippi.
Im on the same boat, i have yet to make a trip to watch my team play.

I hope someday i get a chance to though. Here now, it's mostly all the bandwagon

charger fans now, most of the raider fans died out. LOL. BTW since i see you live in

Mesa AZ. hows that the atmosphere down there about there playoff game coming

up?

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

alot of west coast fans...thats cool! I was born in Western Maryland, and I moved everywhere due to my fathers job. But living in Moon Township gave me my love for the Steelers!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Im on the same boat, i have yet to make a trip to watch my team play.

I hope someday i get a chance to though. Here now, it's mostly all the bandwagon

charger fans now, most of the raider fans died out. LOL. BTW since i see you live in

Mesa AZ. hows that the atmosphere down there about there playoff game coming

up?
As far as the Cardinals it was late afternoon today before the Cardinals could sell out the game and they needed a time extension from the NFL to do it. The mood of the Cardinal fans could be best described as "desperately" hopeful.

I think even the most fanatic of them release that even if they do manage to win they have no chance of going any further since they are a one dimensional passing team and they can not stop the run.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Polamalu43
Team Captain

^^ i say the cards lose by more then 2 TD's.. there team has been playin terrible in there last 4-5 games, or so.. Turner i gonna run all over thre D.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
^^ i say the cards lose by more then 2 TD's.. there team has been playin terrible in there last 4-5 games, or so.. Turner i gonna run all over thre D.

I would say the Cardinals have as much chance as a snowflake on a May day in Phoenix when the temperature hits 120 degrees.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I was hoping this was an article about a farmer who dyed his sheep black and gold.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i feel his pain for sure! i live 40 miles south of indy! most colts fans do not realize there was a colts before 1998 though.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote