Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634
Default Re: WHATS WRONG WITH THE "U"

Another thing, these high school kids realize that they can go to about any school and be on TV and get noticed by the pros. They don't have to go to Miami and be a backup. They can go to another school and start.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10642

there you go steel head,thats much better....see you shouldnt have been so fast to just trash talk, cause this makes alot of sense,as its almost what i was thinking,michigan is a perfect examplei guess the canes never had to go through this,as like i said,they were always just good......its like there was never a doubt they would be in a bcs bowl game......and i agree,alot of kids can just go anywhere and be on tv,where it used to be you had to go to the big schools to be on tv,now even the smallest colleges are getting on tv.....they dont seem to keep alot of thier instate talent like they used to....problem is,recruits dont want to go to a rebuliding program/school,they want to go to a "now" winning team like texas,usc,florida-when was the last time any of these teams had a rebulding season......its just frustrating being a canes fan.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
Sorry, Didn't read that part. All programs go through their ups and downs. Look at Mich. I think every good player in Fla. use to go to one of the big three.(Fla, Fla. St. Mia.) I think more and more players are leaving the state to play elsewhere.
lambertlunaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I am definatly not a Miami fan, and I don't consider what I am about to say as being a hater.

Miami has a very bad reputation, you don't get the nickname "Thug U" for nothing.

Butch Davis never held the kids responsible for anything outside of football, and I don't think Coker really did either.

Randy Shannon on the other hand doesn't want the trouble makers and expects his players to be accountable for their actions on the field and to actually go to and do well in class.

So the kids that expected an easy ride to the NFL aren't happy and have left or will leave.

Also, the Florida kids have realized that they don't have to be backups at Miami, FSU, or Florida...they can go to schools outside of the state and start. So those three no longer hoard all that Florida high school talent.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

That giant fight between them and Florida Atlantic (I think) was VERY bad pub, and just reinforces what most people think about Thug U.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #15
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

oh,i love the nicknames people have for the "u"....thug u..thats funny,and calling them that isnt being a hater?doesnt sound like a compliment to me,.....but being a canes fan im used to it,when the canes used to play notre dame my friend called it the convicts vs the catholics.....its amazing to me that the "u" gets a bad name like this,and that fight,i believe there were fighting another team,so why does the canes get the black eye for it "pr" wise then,what are they suppose to do let a team beat them down like that............well i think they should get back to the days of butch davis and coker and even more jimmy johnson-let them out and play thier game,that coach now has taken the fun out of it,and thats why i think the kids dont want to go there,they want to have fun,not be hounded over.I mean come on,he yelled at his players for celebrating a touchdown during a game,its canes football,the home of trash talking.....i know its not just about the football,and youre also a student but i think hes getting over board with it.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Miami has an image problem because they created it themselves. Actually, the program has been pretty clean lately, but you can blame Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson for recruiting players based on talent and talent alone, with no regard for character.

Miami is also a private school, so they can "adjust" their standards accordingly (I'm wlling to bet there were a lot of kids in the 80's who couldn't even read on the team), and they also handle issues "in-house", meaning there isn't much oversight. Finally, the program just kind of came out of nowhere in the 80's, so there is no tradition or history of excellence, no standard to live up to.

Like I said, they've been cleaner than a lot of other big programs lately, but it takes a long time to live down a bad rep, and that big fight set them back a few years. There is a definite sign that they have turned things around: OSU scheduled a home/home series with them, and the Buckeyes would NOT have done that even 10 years ago, since it would be legitimizing a seemingly illegitimate program.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

revefsreleets-your hater colors are showing....kids on the canes team that can't even read-nice.....and by the way,osu,yeah they are a legit program,didnt they have a running back or some player who palyed for thier national championship team that beat the canes that turned out to be a stand-up kind of person.....i mean come on,legitimizing a illegitimate program...they want to play a home and home so they can beat down the canes,they wouldnt have done it 10 years ago cause they wouldve been in a game,but as long as they are down,hell yeah we'll play them....
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,205 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertlunaticfan View Post
i knew someone would post something like this-even though i said -NO HATERS PLEASE....
FINE! Then I'll keep my "potential recruits haven't been paroled yet" comments to myself!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

..hey thewarden86-the adults were having a talk, go back to the kids table...trash talking,when you have nothing intelligent to add to a topic....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
FINE! Then I'll keep my "potential recruits haven't been paroled yet" comments to myself!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
revefsreleets
Living Legend

It is what it is. It ain't called "Thug U' for nuthin.