Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #21
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906
Default Re: Steelers Salary Chart

Porter is an average NFL LB but in our system our LB's need to be the best. But we are doing okay with them, not getting a lot of sacks or a lot of pressure on the QB's but we are still a top ranked defense. The main problem I have with Porter is his worth, he's not worth $5.4m this year and $6.6m next year. Twice as much as Ben? Come on. You know we can plug Frazier in there and he will develop into another Haggans or Harrison for half the cost. And yes I want an improved LB who can really get us some sacks but Porter certainly hasn't done it. So why continue to pay him $5 to almost $7m a year for the same performance that I can get from my backup who makes less than $1m a year?

Losing Kimo will really hurt.

Okobi, big question mark right now.

Keep Taylor, cut Colclough and don't even think twice about it. He's a backup, not worth $978k next year. He doesn't get to start unless someone else is hurt and he isn't used on kick returns anymore.

Randel El, I don't think he is worth $8m for 4 years. I'm sure someone will though but then someone thought Kendrel Bell was all that too.

I don't think Haynes is earning or worth $687k for what he does. If we do not draft an RB high next year then we may not have a choice but to keep Haynes around.

Carter plays once in a blue moon. I've only seen his name on the field during last weeks Vikings game. That's not worth $700k.

WR Martin Nance as our first draft pick should develop quicker than another because he was Ben's college WR. Tough to pass that up especially when ARE may be gone and we might have to start Quincy Morgan as our #2, or even worse, Cedric Wilson...
Old 12-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #22
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
WR Martin Nance as our first draft pick should develop quicker than another because he was Ben's college WR. Tough to pass that up especially when ARE may be gone and we might have to start Quincy Morgan as our #2, or even worse, Cedric Wilson...
out of all those choices...i wouldnt mind drafting nance as a 2nd round (next to lendale white; unless the steelers plan on picking up duckett or dayne) but would nance be availbale in the 2nd, i dunno. but the idea of quincy morgan starting doesnt sound all that bad to me. he has dropped a few balls this year, but i love his height and speed. as for cedric, cya later?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #23
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Again, why did Ike get 3 years to develop, and you are only giving Coke 2? That makes no sense at all...

Martin Nance will not be a 1st rd draft pick. He was injured at the end of last year, and that always hurts...but I bet the Steelers take look at hm.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #24
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Ike Taylor made his way slowly up the ladder and earns $471k in 2005.

Compare that with Colclough's $903k in 2005, then $976k in 2006.

Ike is due for a raise, so is Townsend, cut Colclough and use it to help pay those who actually start.

Nance is ranked 5th and may very well be a 2nd rounder.

I keep going back and forth on the WR or RB in the 1st round. We could take the chance and pass on Nance and take RB Lendale White in the first.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #25
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Again, why did Ike get 3 years to develop, and you are only giving Coke 2? That makes no sense at all...

Martin Nance will not be a 1st rd draft pick. He was injured at the end of last year, and that always hurts...but I bet the Steelers take look at hm.
because ike showed he had potential. remember that INT he had last year where he leaped up ridiculously high and snagged the ball? forget what game it was, but that was an extremely athletic move. coclough has done a whole lot of nothing this year to prove he's worth the money.

3 words
ike and mcfadden
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #26
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Remember all, I was not a CB coming out of college, the Steelers drafted him with the intent of grooming him to be a CB and he's adjusted well.

Coc has been injured off and on and has made some plays, but not to the degree that Ike has. yet.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,740 Posts

[QUOTE=Suitanim]Again, why did Ike get 3 years to develop, and you are only giving Coke 2? That makes no sense at all...QUOTE]

I think Colclough makes a recurring number of dumb plays (his trifecta of forgetting how to down a punt on the 1 yard line and then being called for a false start twice on the same punt in the Ravens loss comes to mind) and brings zero to the table as a kickoff returner. As far as the future, McFadden has far more upside.

Need to bring Townsend back, perhaps sign Hope, and start builing the rainy day fund for getting Troy locked up sooner rather than later - shedding Colclough is a good place to start in balancing your DB budget.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #28
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I thought that was McFadden with the 2 false starts

If you had told me that Ike Taylor would be our starting cornerback this year and would shut down Chad Johnson last year, I would have laughed in your face. We owe Colclough another year.

I'll be happy if we keep Hope or draft a new FS. I still like Mike Logan for the start... :P
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #29
LondonSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 403

my 2cents would be get rid of wilson & carter for a start, im tempted to say simmons as well, cutting duce would cost us 2.1 mill in dead money so i cant see that happening,
hartings and porter should restructure, agree that porter isnt worth the cap figure, but we'd miss the attitude and image he brings.
if we're tight for money, id let hope go and just have mike logan stand in.

Made by BB2W!
LondonSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 PM   #30
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim

I know I was guilty in preseason of saying that enough is enough, ike isn`t going to cut it. But prior to that I was in his corner. Boy did I make a mistake this preseason! Ike is a keeper