Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512
Default Re: Sources: Pats to franchise Cassel

I saw an interesting comment in The National Football Post - the site espn based their story on - about Cassel. Aside from the obvious angles - insurance if Brady is still hurt, trade him if Brady is healthy - it says that New England would still be $18 million under the cap. Apparently they're in a favorable cap situation so they might be able to afford to do this.

The other thing that caught my eye was in regards to the following year; remember right now 2010 is an uncapped year - with different rules regarding free agency if the league and players don't work out an agreement before then.

Quote:
One final note on Cassel. As it stands now, with 2010 an uncapped year due to the NFL owners opting out of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, six years of service will be required for unrestricted free agency. Cassel, should he play for the franchise tag number in 2009, will be a restricted free agent in 2010, his services still controlled by the New England Patriots. This presents another reason why the Patriots have to tag him.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #22
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Why all the hubbub? He played like shit against most of the quality teams they faced, he benefited from the "call no holding against thy Pats" rule, teams had no film against him, and he'll end up a career back-up just like DA.

It really makes me laugh to see people jump on these one-hit-wonders bandwagons...
Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Why all the hubbub? He played like shit against most of the quality teams they faced, he benefited from the "call no holding against thy Pats" rule, teams had no film against him, and he'll end up a career back-up just like DA.

It really makes me laugh to see people jump on these one-hit-wonders bandwagons...
He already is a career back-up.

He just accidentally stumbled into the foreground.

"Matt, you're in the shot. Take a step back."
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
Ishkabibble
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11437

I'm in Houston. A couple seasons ago the Texans traded two 2nd round picks to ATL for Matt Schuab and that trade's starting to look pretty good right now. And they made that deal after he'd had only two career starts.
Does giving $30 million+ guaranteed to Alex Smith, David Carr or Vince Young sound like such a better alternative? Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford are big, fat "maybe's" at this juncture, and nothing more. Cassell's 26, a very good athlete and now he's got a season's worth of experience under his belt. He improved steadily every week and by seasons end, his numbers were damn good. If you're Detroit, KC, St Louis or any other QB-needy team, you can hope and pray that Stafford or Bradford plays like Roethlisberger or Ryan did as a rookie but I'll take the under on that....the WAY WAY under.
Ishkabibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I think it is a pretty good move for them, but that is a lot of money tied up at the QB position. I don't think Brady will be with them. They will either cut or trade him.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
I think it is a pretty good move for them, but that is a lot of money tied up at the QB position. I don't think Brady will be with them. They will either cut or trade him.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #27
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishkabibble View Post
. He improved steadily every week.
thats odd ....so that big game he had against the steelers was an improvement from the week before ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #28
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
thats odd ....so that big game he had against the steelers was an improvement from the week before ???
Once the Steelers took the lead they took their TE out and went to a 3-WR set. Calculated move, turned out to be the wrong one for them. Without TE help, he was a sitting duck. If they want to blame somebody for the loss, it's the guy who muffed that kickoff, not Cassel. They fell behind and decided to roll the dice rather than be patient - and lost.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #29
Ishkabibble
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11437

Yeah, one week. Last I checked, the Steelers defense was tough on everyone this season. But you're right, one week vs. the NFL's best defense trumps the other 14 starts. Pretty convincing argument. Cassell sucks; what was I thinking? $30+ million guaranteed for Matthew Stafford...that's the route to go.
Ishkabibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I think what we are finding is that NE has a very friendly system for QB's. Cassell is an average QB playing behind a good line against weak competition, just like DA last year. Ship him to 28 other teams and he'll show his true colors.

BUT anything that eats up the evil empires resources works for me...