Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #311
Chargers17
Water Boy

Member Number: 11395
Default Re: Chargers don't scare me.

Thanks for letting me into this Forum BTW, guys. Im a long time Charger fan, and i played in high school and college. Im now a Student Ministries Pastor is so-cal and try my best to still be an informed fan while keeping my priorities straight (God, Wife, Family, then football )

People like to point out that the Chargers defense has stepped up, and they have. But to me the GLARING difference in the past five games is the O-line. I dont know if its health or scheme or both, but they have been dramically better in the run blocking department lately. Lt is well Lt, and Sproles is dangerous, but B. Sanders (man do i miss watching him) would have had a terrible season behind these guys the way they were playing. The first play of the colts game LT went outside (at like half speed) and gained 13. No way that happens 6 games ago.
Chargers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #312
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargers17 View Post
Let me ask you Steeler fans: Do you see this matchup as "Whew, it was a fluke to beat the Colts, and we're stoked to not have to face P. Manning (the classy Manning)"
or do you look at it like "Wow, if they took down Indy, the Chargers are for real"
I don't think it was a fluke that they beat the colts. As I've mentioned, they've been red hot just as much as the colts were but because manning is a media darling they got very little play. The chargers have a talented group of players on both sides of the ball but it just seems that year in and year out they fail to put it together for a complete stretch through the playoffs and in to the Super Bowl.

I think any team that's in the playoffs are for real. Look at what the cardinals did to the falcons. It was the same that the chargers did to the peyton colts.

I believe that the chargers are better than their 8-8 record but ask yourself this question - which team is going to show up? The one that is 8-8 or the one that beat the colts?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #313
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,311 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullockBlitz View Post
Ya everyone here is rooting for the Steelers. Sorry guys but the Chargers look like they are running on all cylinders! never thought I say this but

GO STEELERS
Doesn't matter - the Ratbirds are going to knock you out anyway.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #314
BullockBlitz
Water Boy

Member Number: 11413

Quote:
Thanks for letting me into this Forum BTW, guys.
Ya me too!!
BullockBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #315
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Heres a question: In Steeler world, whats the sentiment toward B. Cowher. Is he still liked? It almost seems like they havent missed a beat with Tomlin.
Bill Cowher is the adopted son of the Rooney's and he will remain as such until he returns to coach another team other than the Steelers and while some may still cheer for him, many (me included) will let him know he isn't liked so much anymore.

I think as Steelers fans we've been blessed with the fact that we haven't had a coaching carousel over the last 15 years. I mean the last 30 were only two coaches - Noll and Cowher.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #316
Chargers17
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

I believe that the chargers are better than their 8-8 record but ask yourself this question - which team is going to show up? The one that is 8-8 or the one that beat the colts?
I am not sure which team shows up. But i know this. The O-line is finally blocking. Does that mean they'll be able to stop Pitts' front 7. I dont know. But if they can, watch out. This game has all the makings of a great one. The #2 scoring offense vs. the #1 scoring defense. I always give the edge to the defense, but heres to hoping that im wrong!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #317
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 11049

Quote:
Bill Cowher is the adopted son of the Rooney's and he will remain as such until he returns to coach another team other than the Steelers and while some may still cheer for him, many (me included) will let him know he isn't liked so much anymore.

I think as Steelers fans we've been blessed with the fact that we haven't had a coaching carousel over the last 15 years. I mean the last 30 were only two coaches - Noll and Cowher.
Cowher is the kind of man that will force a square peg in to a circle hole (thats what she said). But what I am trying to say he was very stubborn with his formula of winning. I almost got the feeling like he wanted to win the superbowl for his own legacy, and the team was used a means to an end.For the longest time i thought the players loved cowher, but when tomlin came into office it seems that wasnt the case. I could recall ben roethlisberger being very hesitent to answer a question on his thought on Cowher in a interview;.

But ya I am with StlrTruck he has done a great job in his career, but Tomlin is our guy now.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #318
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
I am not sure which team shows up. But i know this. The O-line is finally blocking. Does that mean they'll be able to stop Pitts' front 7. I dont know. But if they can, watch out. This game has all the makings of a great one. The #2 scoring offense vs. the #1 scoring defense. I always give the edge to the defense, but heres to hoping that im wrong!
Dude, I give you props for being able to talk football but your fans are really taking away credit from the rest of you.

Anyway, to be honest with you, I believe that Dickie LeBeau will be using a lot more game film from the last few games than he will from earlier in the season. The chargers are definitely a different team but I still think the Steelers can outlast them.

And here's to hoping you are right about the defense having the edge

Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #319
Chargers17
Water Boy

Quote:
Dude, I give you props for being able to talk football but your fans are really taking away credit from the rest of you.

Anyway, to be honest with you, I believe that Dickie LeBeau will be using a lot more game film from the last few games than he will from earlier in the season. The chargers are definitely a different team but I still think the Steelers can outlast them.

And here's to hoping you are right about the defense having the edge
There are uninformed, unknowlegable football fans for every team. I'll overlook the ones on your forum if you overlook the ones coming here with some type of Charger or SD name.

So tell me more about your defense, as i havent seen more than a couple of Pitt games all year. I know about the DPOY linebacker and anyone who isnt in a buble knows about #43, but what makes them so good. Is it pass rush? Secondary play? Run defense? I know for us big #76 in the middle pretty much sets the tone, and we are able to get away with average linebacking. M. Wilhelm on our team #57 ILB sucks. S. Cooper is playing well and we have some promisiing young talent, but have overall had a sup-par year from our inside linebackers. Is your D-line big and strong or small and quick?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #320
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
There are uninformed, unknowlegable football fans for every team. I'll overlook the ones on your forum if you overlook the ones coming here with some type of Charger or SD name.

So tell me more about your defense, as i havent seen more than a couple of Pitt games all year. I know about the DPOY linebacker and anyone who isnt in a buble knows about #43, but what makes them so good. Is it pass rush? Secondary play? Run defense? I know for us big #76 in the middle pretty much sets the tone, and we are able to get away with average linebacking. M. Wilhelm on our team #57 ILB sucks. S. Cooper is playing well and we have some promisiing young talent, but have overall had a sup-par year from our inside linebackers. Is your D-line big and strong or small and quick?
I'll do my best to overlook the SD s coming into the forum but they seem to becoming in boatloads.

Anyway. Our defense - what makes them great:

1) Run Defense
2) A corner that can isolate a top WR by himself (Ike Taylor)
3) Pass Rush (barring any chokeholds by the O-lineman)
4) A defensive coordinator that can confuse the best QBs in the league

Our front 3 are a mixed combination. Big Snack - Casey Hampton can stuff the middle while the two ends can beat the best of them.

Our middle 4 are some of the best LBs in the league and even our second stringers could be starters on other teams.

Our DBs are also tops in the league. As previously mentioned, Ike Taylor can shut down a top WR. Troy Polamalu can either blitz you, read you for a pass deflection or INT, or blanket coverage helping the front 7 get a sack.

From what I can tell, our glaring weakness on defense is the cushion our safeties give up on the outside WRs. They give up a good 10 yards and this opens up the short passing game or they bite on the play action or pump fake and off the WRs go. It's a double edged sword - Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz!

The difference in this game isn't going to be the chargers ability to run - because I don't think they'll be able to do so. But instead, it will be their ability to pass in order to open up the run. The Steelers have shut down some pretty good tandums at RB this year. I also think the Steelers are suspect against the middle screen and delayed hand offs (see the dallas game with Choice)