Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Chargers did the Steelers a favor Saturday by beating dangerous Indianapolis Colts

Chargers did the Steelers a favor Saturday by beating the dangerous Indianapolis Colts
Rick Cook
PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...lers/?chargers

Sunday, January 4, 2009

At the risk of violating Mike Tomlin's most sacred rule sorry, Coach let's look ahead and ponder a couple of delicious questions:

How would you like another Pittsburgh Steelers-Baltimore Ravens matchup at Heinz Field in the AFC championship game on Jan. 18?

And:

Are you ready for a little more bounty talk and Spitgate revisited?

It's going to happen.

Write it down.

Wild-card weekend couldn't have turned out much better for the Steelers. Because of the results, they get a relatively weak opponent the San Diego Chargers at home Sunday in their first playoff game and won't have to go to Tennessee for the AFC title game. The Baltimore Ravens are going to take out the Titans on Saturday.

Write that down, too.

The Chargers did the Steelers a favor Saturday by beating the dangerous Indianapolis Colts, 23-17 in overtime, thanks, in large part, to two defensive holding penalties and a facemask personal foul against the Colts on the Chargers' winning drive. Better that the Chargers come to Heinz Field especially if injured star running back LaDainian Tomlinson can't play than the Colts with the great Peyton Manning.

Then Sunday, the Ravens embarrassed the overmatched Miami Dolphins, 27-9. Clearly, they are better right now than the AFC's top-seeded Titans. Heck, they just might be good enough to beat the Steelers at Heinz Field, but who wants to waste time worrying about that now?

I'm going to cite Tomlin's don't-look-ahead rule on that one.

You can argue a home game Sunday against the Dolphins would have been the Steelers' easiest path to the conference championship game and I won't disagree. The Dolphins were the worst of the AFC teams playing this past weekend. We also lose a little entertainment value with the Chargers as the opponent. It would have been great fun watching Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter squawking at Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Parker.

Oh, well.

What's important is that the Chargers also are a lesser team than the Steelers. They were an 8-8 club that made the playoffs only because the Denver Broncos gagged down the stretch. I don't buy that they're hot at the right time with five consecutive wins. I might buy it if Tomlinson were healthy, but he left the Colts game early with what appears to be a serious groin injury. It's hard to imagine backup Darren Sproles running for 100 yards against the Steelers the way he did against the Colts. Certainly, there's no way he gets 178 yards in kickoff and punt return yardage against the Steelers' coverage units.

Philip Rivers is a fine quarterback, better than fine if you look at his NFL-best 105.5 passer rating and 34 touchdown passes. But he struggled big-time in an 11-10 loss to the Steelers on Nov. 16 at Heinz Field. Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison had interceptions, and Harrison sacked Rivers for a safety. Rivers' passer rating was a season-low 44.4. It didn't help that, even with Tomlinson, the Chargers rushed for just 66 yards.

The Steelers, meanwhile, had one of their better offensive days, although you wouldn't know it by the score. They had the ball for a season-best 36 minutes, 31 seconds. Roethlisberger threw for 308 yards with no interceptions. Parker ran for 115 yards on 25 carries. Wide receiver Hines Ward had 11 catches for 124 yards. Blame the Steelers' season-high 13 penalties for 115 yards and tip your hat to the Chargers for keeping the outcome in doubt by sacking Roethlisberger four times and stopping running back Mewelde Moore on fourth-and-goal at the San Diego 1. But the Chargers won't be able to survive that kind of domination Sunday.

So, as long as the game doesn't come down to the punters did you see the way the Chargers' Mike Scifres kept pinning back the Colts? I'll still take the Steelers, despite Scifres' edge over Mitch Berger. Here's one final thing to write down:

This isn't the last time you'll be seeing Berger's name in the paper. He'll be front and center in the news when the Steelers and Ravens play in the AFC championship game because he accused the Ravens' Frank Walker of spitting in his face in their game Dec. 14 in Baltimore. So will Ward, the object of any number of bounties over the years by the Ravens players.

I can hardly wait.

Sorry, Coach Tomlin.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279
Default Re: Chargers did the Steelers a favor Saturday by beating the dangerous Indianapolis

Mitch Berger shouldn't even be in the NFL.
BehindSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts
Default Re: Chargers did the Steelers a favor Saturday by beating the dangerous Indianapolis

I would have rather played the Colts or Dolphins. A dome team outdoors in January with an undersized defense is much better than facing the Chargers with a good O line and D line of Jamaal Williams, Castillo and Olshansky. Still gonna be a tough road trip for the Chargers and I hope it snows for them.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

evrytime berger name comes up i cry.. i am suprised how good our def is that we have a real good chance of berger shanking a punt

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Mitch Berger shouldn't even be in the NFL.
You'd rather we'd kept Ernster????????
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Boltheads
Banned

Member Number: 11365

I hope the Steeler players are over-looking the Bolts as much as this writer. Nothing like being on the receiving end of a trap game.
Boltheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Well, we got them once already this year. I don't think the Chargers are loads better now than they were then, even though they have won five in a row. I am definitley happy they took care of Indy. That was the one team I feared.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Boltheads
Banned

Member Number: 11365

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Well, we got them once already this year. I don't think the Chargers are loads better now than they were then, even though they have won five in a row. I am definitley happy they took care of Indy. That was the one team I feared.

-Mike
They are a completely different team.....on offense and defense. Keep looking ahead to the Ravens.....please.
Boltheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltheads View Post
They are a completely different team.....on offense and defense. Keep looking ahead to the Ravens.....please.
It's not the fans who play the games. Fans can look as far ahead as they wish - it has no bearing on the game.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltheads View Post
I hope the Steeler players are over-looking the Bolts as much as this writer. Nothing like being on the receiving end of a trap game.
nothing like pinning your hopes on "hope", right?

Quote:

i think most steelerfans (and probably the players) would rather kick the titans ass and stomp it into the mud.