Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Curran: Offense will be downfall of Steelers, Titans

Curran: Offense will be downfall of Steelers, Titans
AFC's top teams face opponents that can exploit their weaknesses
OPINION
By Tom E. Curran
updated 7:55 p.m. MT, Sun., Jan. 4, 2009

Pittsburgh, Nashville? I got a bad feeling. I don’t think your teams are going to be playing for a title.

No, this isn’t some “flavor of the week” thing. The Ravens and Chargers played and won this weekend, but we haven’t forgotten how good your teams are.

Pittsburgh and Tennessee are the AFC's best two teams by seed and regular-season performance. But the top-seeded Titans and second-seeded Steelers are staring at unkind matchups in the AFC Divisional playoffs.

Their postseason runs may end up being shorter than Sterling Sharpe’s eyebrows.

Start with the Chargers and Steelers. Might as well get this out of the way because — as Steelers fans have happily shown in the past — they have e-mail accounts and aren’t afraid to use 'em. They will spend the early part of this week abusing my Blackberry.

Recall that these teams met before this season. The Steelers couldn’t score a single touchdown against the Chargers during an 11-10 home win over San Diego back in November. The Steelers outgained San Diego by nearly 200 yards (410 to 218) and, while Ben Roethlisberger threw for 308 yards and no picks, Philip Rivers managed only 164 passing yards and threw two interceptions.

How, despite the statistical lopsidedness did this happen? Niggling little details. A pass interference put the Chargers at the Pittsburgh 3 and set up a touchdown. The Steelers got stopped four times inside the Chargers' 10 on their next drive.

That field position led to a strip-sack safety to make it 7-2 and the Steelers added a long field goal before the half to make it 7-5. Another Steelers field goal made it 8-7. The Chargers added a short field goal of their own, re-taking the lead. And then the Steelers put together a 13-play, gut-check drive at the end of the game to set Reed up for the game-winner with 15 seconds left.

What really hurt Pittsburgh that day was penalties.
Thirteen for 115 yards. A hold wiped out a Willie Parker touchdown. Another at the game's beginning set up the Chargers' touchdown.

But those details are less important than this one: The Chargers are a much better team right now than they were in November.

They are more potent offensively. Rivers is playing far better (one pick in his final six regular season games, a cool, late-game dissection of Indy on Saturday night).

They can and will score on Pittsburgh’s potent, disruptive defense. I don’t think the Steelers can score enough against San Diego. The Colts managed just one “normal” touchdown Saturday night against San Diego. The other came thanks to Peyton Manning being smart enough to notice the Chargers weren’t paying attention and he threw a 62-yard touchdown.

The Chargers are playing good defense. And the Steelers' offense is struggling, at least against good teams. They managed three offensive touchdowns in 180 minutes against the Cowboys, Ravens and Titans before drubbing the already-on-vacation Browns, 31-0 in the season finale.

San Diego’s going to get to 21 points. Will the Steelers? I don’t think so.

Same problem for the Titans, but even more pronounced.

Baltimore’s defense has been, well, ravenous since Thanksgiving. The Ravens have allowed 64 points in their last six games, 24 in a win over the Cowboys. Of course, the Titans can play a little defense too. But this game isn’t going to come down to defense — both will show up. Rather, it comes down to which team has a greater capability to score.

When the Ravens lost to Tennessee 13-10 on October 5, the Titans managed just 14 first downs and 47 rushing yards. The Titans didn’t claim a lead until two minutes remained and that game-winning drive was extended by a roughing the passer call on a third-and-10 incompletion. Tennessee got fat rushing numbers running against the shoddy run defenses in the AFC South during the regular season.

That won’t be the case against Baltimore. It leaves Kerry Collins and his complement of so-so receivers to try and make a go of it against the Ed Reed-led Ravens secondary.

That's bad for business.

I’m well aware of the old saw that defense wins championships. But that only holds true if the offenses can score a little.

And I don’t think either the Steelers or Titans are going to score enough next weekend to get themselves to the doorstep of the Super Bowl.

(Ducking).

© 2009 NBC Sports.com Reprints

URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28497215/
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565
Default Re: Curran: Offense will be downfall of Steelers, Titans

I've been saying this all season. This O and Arians keep them held back. And it's sad cause the D has had an excellent year.
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

but did this writer notice that L.T. is hurt badly and right there was most of there off production... sproles is not gonna be running against a shitty colts def

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
but did this writer notice that L.T. is hurt badly and right there was most of there off production... sproles is not gonna be running against a shitty colts def
This overweight writer wearing glasses, balding, and cotton pants has never heard the phrase "defense wins championships". If we have a bad day offensively we still have a shot at winning. If we have an average to good game offensively we win. I like our chances. No way Sproles runs on us, maybe a big play thats it. Rivers is going to have to have a huge game in the cold, on the road, and flying east in a hostile environment. I actually think we will run the ball well and silence a lot of people. Close until half time and we pull away. 31-20 Steelers.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
LT has been a non-factor all year! If we lose it will be because of turnovers!
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Supporting the Steelers or not these reports have the same thing in common. There guessing and making a prediction everyone will comment on the next day in the paper. These guys get paid to bullcrap about a subject and get some drama going in the sports world. Think what they want i have my own opinion.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Curran picked the Bolts to win the Superbowl at the begining of the year.....can anyone say...desperation?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

spread is Steelers -6, I thought it would be -3.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

I said it in another thread, but I don't agree that the Chargers are way better than they were when we beat them. Not better enough to beat us at home in the cold. Especially with LT out.

Sproles isn't going anywhere against our defense. Our LB's will crush him, and if they don't, Troy will.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Then why did the Steelers go 12-4, and the Chargers went 8-8?

After all, Offense is all that matters right?
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote