Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
bradness113
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1962
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

ALSO,

we didnt have HEEEEEEEEEEEEATH!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbolt View Post
He got lit up pretty good in that Indy game and bounced back nicely.

Kid can take a hit. His fumble was a little troubling to me. I've always thought that is his weakness. He had some trouble handling the ball a couple years ago, but for the most part he worked it out.

With so many touches coming his way, this is the only thing I worry about with him.
That's what I was getting at, his soreness, his workload, all will play a factor. Bennett is known for having trouble hanging onto the ball. Didn't Hester fumble a couple times too?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
westcoastransplant
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11289

Whats the word on Gates? If his ankle still bothering him, he wont have the impact he's capeable of.
westcoastransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Hey did fine against the Colts, drug some defenders for a while. He looked OK to me, didn't run too many deep routes like he usually does so maybe his speed is off. I think they say he will keep himself in a walking boot until the game.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
nickelbolt
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11382

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
That's what I was getting at, his soreness, his workload, all will play a factor. Bennett is known for having trouble hanging onto the ball. Didn't Hester fumble a couple times too?
Yes. Hester did fumble... on his first ever carry.

But then Norv didn't let him run the ball nearly the rest of the season. It kind of pissed me off because you could see the kid was upset.

Norv has mindf*cked Charger fans all season long. His reluctance to commit to the run was baffling. Now it looks like he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how they won games last year.

I know about Bennett's troubles. But we don't have any choice. All I can do is hope for the best at this point.

I do think that our team will show up ready to play this time. We all know what the Steelers are capable of. We're just interested to see if this Chargers team can prove they are a different team now.
nickelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbolt View Post
Yes. Hester did fumble... on his first ever carry.

But then Norv didn't let him run the ball nearly the rest of the season. It kind of pissed me off because you could see the kid was upset.

Norv has mindf*cked Charger fans all season long. His reluctance to commit to the run was baffling. Now it looks like he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how they won games last year.

I know about Bennett's troubles. But we don't have any choice. All I can do is hope for the best at this point.

I do think that our team will show up ready to play this time. We all know what the Steelers are capable of. We're just interested to see if this Chargers team can prove they are a different team now.
Good point they don't have much of a choice. I wish LT could play. I just want Rivers to eat the grass at Heinz field all day long.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

I always had the impression that the Chargers passing game was based first on Gates, second on the RB (Tomlinson, or Sproles if LT is out), and receivers third. I found these stats on the receivers.

Wide Receivers
Jackson - 59 catches for 1098 yards, 7 TD; targeted 102 times
Chambers - 37 catches for 519 yards, 5 TD in 12 games; targeted 71 times
Floyd - 27 catches for 465 yards, 4 TD; targeted 37 times
Davis - 4 catches for 59 yards, 0 TD; targeted 7 times

Tight End
Gates - 68 catches for 791 yards, 8 TD; targeted 101 times
Manumaleuna - 15 catches for 127 yards, 2 TD; targeted 20 times
Naanee - 9 catches for 79 yards, 0 TD; targeted 13 times

Running Backs
Tomlinson - 52 catches for 426 yards, 1 TD; targeted 78 times
Sproles - 34 catches for 387 yards, 5 TD; targeted 44 times
Tolbert - 13 catches for 171 yards, 1 ID; targeted 15 times
Hester - 13 catches for 97 yards, 1 TD; targeted 15 times

That's 217 passes thrown to WR, 134 thrown to TE, and 152 thrown to RB.

Jackson is a deep threat but averages less than 4 receptions per game. As mentioned earlier, put McFadden on him and we're set.

Gates and Sproles/Tomlinson are where the point of emphasis should be. The primary concern is when they peel off their blocks, letting pass rushers go by them in anticipation of a screen pass in an open area of the field. The San Diego wide receivers are much further down the list when it comes to game planning against their offense.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
nickelbolt
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11382

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Good point they don't have much of a choice. I wish LT could play. I just want Rivers to eat the grass at Heinz field all day long.
If the Chargers win, it will be Rivers who leads the way. So I pray that he gets very little ruffage in his diet during the game.
nickelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradness113 View Post
BTW, we did NOT have McFadden the last time we played them...
Yeah that was the first game Gay came in as a started and shared game time with Bryant, who we had just picked up, I believe. Carter was also sharing time with Taylor since Townsend was out for that game as well. Can't remember how it all broke down, but our secondary was pretty depleted for that game.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughC View Post
That's 217 passes thrown to WR, 134 thrown to TE, and 152 thrown to RB.

Jackson is a deep threat but averages less than 4 receptions per game. As mentioned earlier, put McFadden on him and we're set.

Gates and Sproles/Tomlinson are where the point of emphasis should be. The primary concern is when they peel off their blocks, letting pass rushers go by them in anticipation of a screen pass in an open area of the field. The San Diego wide receivers are much further down the list when it comes to game planning against their offense.
You know an interesting matchup will be who stays back to block Polamalu or whoever rushes. I'm not so sure Hester or Sproles are going to be effective at stopping that type of blitz. I think they are going to have to use Manumaleuna as a FB. Or drop Gates back there, they do that sometimes. Which is fine by me, take Gates out of the list of options and me likey!!!