Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
bradness113
Bench Warmer
 
bradness113's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 238
Member Number: 1962
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

ALSO,

we didnt have HEEEEEEEEEEEEATH!!!!
__________________
bradness113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter
 
SteelersinCA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 9302
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbolt View Post
He got lit up pretty good in that Indy game and bounced back nicely.

Kid can take a hit. His fumble was a little troubling to me. I've always thought that is his weakness. He had some trouble handling the ball a couple years ago, but for the most part he worked it out.

With so many touches coming his way, this is the only thing I worry about with him.
That's what I was getting at, his soreness, his workload, all will play a factor. Bennett is known for having trouble hanging onto the ball. Didn't Hester fumble a couple times too?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
westcoastransplant
Bench Warmer
 
westcoastransplant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No Michigan
Posts: 200
Gender: Male
Member Number: 11289
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Whats the word on Gates? If his ankle still bothering him, he wont have the impact he's capeable of.
westcoastransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter
 
SteelersinCA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 9302
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Hey did fine against the Colts, drug some defenders for a while. He looked OK to me, didn't run too many deep routes like he usually does so maybe his speed is off. I think they say he will keep himself in a walking boot until the game.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
nickelbolt
Draft Prospect
 
nickelbolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 112
Member Number: 11382
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
That's what I was getting at, his soreness, his workload, all will play a factor. Bennett is known for having trouble hanging onto the ball. Didn't Hester fumble a couple times too?
Yes. Hester did fumble... on his first ever carry.

But then Norv didn't let him run the ball nearly the rest of the season. It kind of pissed me off because you could see the kid was upset.

Norv has mindf*cked Charger fans all season long. His reluctance to commit to the run was baffling. Now it looks like he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how they won games last year.

I know about Bennett's troubles. But we don't have any choice. All I can do is hope for the best at this point.

I do think that our team will show up ready to play this time. We all know what the Steelers are capable of. We're just interested to see if this Chargers team can prove they are a different team now.
nickelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter
 
SteelersinCA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 9302
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbolt View Post
Yes. Hester did fumble... on his first ever carry.

But then Norv didn't let him run the ball nearly the rest of the season. It kind of pissed me off because you could see the kid was upset.

Norv has mindf*cked Charger fans all season long. His reluctance to commit to the run was baffling. Now it looks like he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how they won games last year.

I know about Bennett's troubles. But we don't have any choice. All I can do is hope for the best at this point.

I do think that our team will show up ready to play this time. We all know what the Steelers are capable of. We're just interested to see if this Chargers team can prove they are a different team now.
Good point they don't have much of a choice. I wish LT could play. I just want Rivers to eat the grass at Heinz field all day long.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
HughC
Starter
 
HughC's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 509
Member Number: 8512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

I always had the impression that the Chargers passing game was based first on Gates, second on the RB (Tomlinson, or Sproles if LT is out), and receivers third. I found these stats on the receivers.

Wide Receivers
Jackson - 59 catches for 1098 yards, 7 TD; targeted 102 times
Chambers - 37 catches for 519 yards, 5 TD in 12 games; targeted 71 times
Floyd - 27 catches for 465 yards, 4 TD; targeted 37 times
Davis - 4 catches for 59 yards, 0 TD; targeted 7 times

Tight End
Gates - 68 catches for 791 yards, 8 TD; targeted 101 times
Manumaleuna - 15 catches for 127 yards, 2 TD; targeted 20 times
Naanee - 9 catches for 79 yards, 0 TD; targeted 13 times

Running Backs
Tomlinson - 52 catches for 426 yards, 1 TD; targeted 78 times
Sproles - 34 catches for 387 yards, 5 TD; targeted 44 times
Tolbert - 13 catches for 171 yards, 1 ID; targeted 15 times
Hester - 13 catches for 97 yards, 1 TD; targeted 15 times

That's 217 passes thrown to WR, 134 thrown to TE, and 152 thrown to RB.

Jackson is a deep threat but averages less than 4 receptions per game. As mentioned earlier, put McFadden on him and we're set.

Gates and Sproles/Tomlinson are where the point of emphasis should be. The primary concern is when they peel off their blocks, letting pass rushers go by them in anticipation of a screen pass in an open area of the field. The San Diego wide receivers are much further down the list when it comes to game planning against their offense.
__________________
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
nickelbolt
Draft Prospect
 
nickelbolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 112
Member Number: 11382
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Good point they don't have much of a choice. I wish LT could play. I just want Rivers to eat the grass at Heinz field all day long.
If the Chargers win, it will be Rivers who leads the way. So I pray that he gets very little ruffage in his diet during the game.
nickelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradness113 View Post
BTW, we did NOT have McFadden the last time we played them...
Yeah that was the first game Gay came in as a started and shared game time with Bryant, who we had just picked up, I believe. Carter was also sharing time with Taylor since Townsend was out for that game as well. Can't remember how it all broke down, but our secondary was pretty depleted for that game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter
 
SteelersinCA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 9302
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Chargers Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughC View Post
That's 217 passes thrown to WR, 134 thrown to TE, and 152 thrown to RB.

Jackson is a deep threat but averages less than 4 receptions per game. As mentioned earlier, put McFadden on him and we're set.

Gates and Sproles/Tomlinson are where the point of emphasis should be. The primary concern is when they peel off their blocks, letting pass rushers go by them in anticipation of a screen pass in an open area of the field. The San Diego wide receivers are much further down the list when it comes to game planning against their offense.
You know an interesting matchup will be who stays back to block Polamalu or whoever rushes. I'm not so sure Hester or Sproles are going to be effective at stopping that type of blitz. I think they are going to have to use Manumaleuna as a FB. Or drop Gates back there, they do that sometimes. Which is fine by me, take Gates out of the list of options and me likey!!!
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts