Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
JPSEMP
Water Boy

Member Number: 11283
Default If Trent Dilfer was starting at QB Sunday

If Trent Dilfer was starting for Pittsburgh Sunday I would bet all I have on the game . Ben coming of a concussion makes me nervous. Without catastrophic offensive play by the Steelers I don't think there is a team out there that can compete with them. I hope Ben is 100 % mentally well Sunday. I do like all the hype being thrown the dolts and ratbirds way, there is no question that this team and Ben play better when slighted by the media. GO STEELERS !
JPSEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: If Trent Dilfer was starting at QB Sunday

While Ben's most excellent quality is his ability to pull a win out of his butt, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dilfer-esq performance.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

ben coming off any break is worrisome.. him coming off a concussion and a break is downright scary. i just cant get the jags game from last year and the jets game from his rookie year out of my head. he sat both times before those games and played terribly.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

No one seems to remember that Ben led the Team back from a bad first half against the Jags. It was the Defense that gave up late scores.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

He was terrible for a half in the Jags game and was godly in the second. He brought us all the way back. The Defense faltered when it counted. 4th and 2 pisses me off so much.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm not going to look at what happened in past seasons, as each season is a new experience.

Ben's success this week is going to depend largely on the OL's ability to open up some holes for our backs and hold off the pass rush while giving him time to find his receivers across the middle or downfield. If they do their jobs and Ben isn't pummeled to the ground by the Chargers D, Ben will be just fine.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSEMP View Post
If Trent Dilfer was starting for Pittsburgh Sunday I would bet all I have on the game . Ben coming of a concussion makes me nervous. Without catastrophic offensive play by the Steelers I don't think there is a team out there that can compete with them. I hope Ben is 100 % mentally well Sunday. I do like all the hype being thrown the dolts and ratbirds way, there is no question that this team and Ben play better when slighted by the media. GO STEELERS !
I am not sure why everyone all of a sudden skittish about Ben as QB. Yes he has turned it over a few times but when you can't run the ball a lick, teams are now expecting pass. Not to mention the empty backfield which I hate, except for maybe on first down to try and get a mismatch, but not on 3rd and 10 when Ben is a sitting duck. Ben will be fine with his playoff experience. He knows with our D, he just has to play within himself. I would like to see a conservative approach with running, and short passes to Heath and Moore out of backfield, to help get rid of it quick and avoid getting hit while hanging in pocket though. One big hit and he is gone.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

i remember the jags game like the back of my hand. but we cannot expect a miracle comeback like that again.. if holmes doesnt take that 4th and long play to the end zone, there probably wouldnt have been anything close to a comeback following the play.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
I am not sure why everyone all of a sudden skittish about Ben as QB. Yes he has turned it over a few times but when you can't run the ball a lick, teams are now expecting pass. Not to mention the empty backfield which I hate, except for maybe on first down to try and get a mismatch, but not on 3rd and 10 when Ben is a sitting duck. Ben will be fine with his playoff experience. He knows with our D, he just has to play within himself. I would like to see a conservative approach with running, and short passes to Heath and Moore out of backfield, to help get rid of it quick and avoid getting hit while hanging in pocket though. One big hit and he is gone.
the only reason myself and some others are more worried than usual is because ben has historically not done well coming off a bye or a break. its even worse because he is coming off a concussion. there really is no way to predict how good or bad he will play until sunday. its hard to even speculate with those variables involved.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
While Ben's most excellent quality is his ability to pull a win out of his butt, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dilfer-esq performance.
they should use the same game plan they used the last time they played the chargers. they had no problem getting 1st downs and moving the ball.... they just didn't execute in the redzone....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote