Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
Dr. Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10996
Default Re: It wouldn't completely shock me if the game is close.

If the game is close then it will favor us. One big factor that nobody mentioned is Heinz Field is a brutal place for kickers to kick in. The Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding has missed some big kicks in the play-offs in the past. If the game comes down to a field goal then I really like the Steelers chances. Kaeding a play-off choke kicking in Heinz Field for a game tying field goal....
Dr. Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

And any playoff game shouldn't be easy to win either. Even in '05 the Steelers struggled for a while to get ahead against the Bengals (with Kitna at QB) and the Colts game came down to a missed FG as well (it shouldn't have gotten to that with Troys INT that was taken back, but it did).

I've lived with the reality all year that each week they played they could lose, but I was ALWAYS confident they could pull out a win if they played hard enough, and more often than not that was the case.

I continue to remain confident in this weeks game. What happened in past playoff games against different teams means nothing to me right now. I'll wait until after the game to either start rooting for us in the AFCCG or hope that we do better next year.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
baphamet
Water Boy

Member Number: 11354

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
And for some reason chargers fans think they are going to be facing the same team they faced a few weeks ago.

While your logic is correct, you still have to apply it to both teams. This Steelers defense is not the same it was and the offense isn't the same either. Our special teams are better than they were and the chargers are going to find the game just as difficult.
very true but then again i am not running my mouth saying its going to be exactly like last time, like many of your fans seem to be doing.

its not going to be like last game....then again maybe it will. but i can almost guarantee you its going to be a war either way.
baphamet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,037 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
very true but then again i am not running my mouth saying its going to be exactly like last time, like many of your fans seem to be doing.

its not going to be like last game....then again maybe it will. but i can almost guarantee you its going to be a war either way.
No, you're running your mouth like you've got the game in the bag already. You beat the Colts. Congrats. I'm not impressed.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #25
westcoastransplant
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11289

Quote:
And for some reason chargers fans think they are going to be facing the same team they faced a few weeks ago.

While your logic is correct, you still have to apply it to both teams. This Steelers defense is not the same it was and the offense isn't the same either. Our special teams are better than they were and the chargers are going to find the game just as difficult.
Thank you! All I keep hearing is that the Chargers are a different team now then what they were when we beat them. Do they think that the Steelers have stayed the same? We were without our starting corners and a great posession receiving TE in Heath. Everybody is healthy and we didn't have to play nearly 5 quarters of football last week.

And although I would love a blowout, its not going to happen. The Steelers have played everybody close all year, with the exception of a few games. When you have a defense as good as the Steelers, you have the ability to win these close games which is what I believe will happen on Sunday.
westcoastransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #26
westcoastransplant
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11289

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphamet View Post

It may not be like last game, been given the way the Steelers played, the 13-2 margin of penalties and the fact that we'll get some key players back who didn't play the first time; it gives you confidence in your ability to win. It also gives a thirst to prove that the score should have been more decisive.
westcoastransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
I say Tomlin rights this ship. While I don't think San Diego is going to be a push over, I believe that the fans and the defense will make it difficult for Rivers to do a lot of what he could last week at home.
If Rivers comes into Pittsburgh, in cold weather, with our hostile crowd, against our D's pressure and has a big game I will be impressed. I don't think Sproles will be a factor in a cold, grassy slow turf game. Maybe break 1 run on a 3rd down draw on a blitz or something. I think it will be close only because our offense hasn't exactly been stellar and I realistically I don't expect them to all of a sudden throw up 38 points. They do have some big physical receivers but we haven't had coverage problems this year like in years past. I see our D scoring a TD with a fumble return or pic though, so I am betting on us covering the spread in a closer game than the 31-20 score. I feel much more confident this year than last against Jags.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
I feel much more confident this year than last against Jags.
Well yeah - we got Troy and Aaron Smith and Clark back playing healthy.

Fast Willie too - just not so much
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #29
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

That San Diego punter hasn't been to Heinz Field in January.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #30
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrz fan View Post
That San Diego punter hasn't been to Heinz Field in January.
You know, Scifres is actually the only bolt that scares me

Every single punter has had career days against us. The way this guy is playing he'll pin us at the 1 yard line 4 times and have two 80 yards punts
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote