Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default No special attention for QB Roethlisberger

No special attention for QB Roethlisberger
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 7, 2009

If Mike Tomlin will be watching Ben Roethlisberger a little more closely Sunday, the Steelers' coach wasn't letting on.

Tomlin offered curt answers of "No" when asked Tuesday if Roethlisberger will be monitored to see if he shows any signs of distress in the AFC divisional playoff game against the San Diego Chargers or if he will be replaced by backup Byron Leftwich if he struggles.

Roethlisberger will be playing for the first time since getting knocked out of a Dec. 28 game against the Browns with a concussion. Roethlisberger practiced for the first time since the Browns game Monday and said he will be fine for Sunday.

The Steelers will be as healthy Sunday as they have been since the first week of the season. All of the players that have been nursing injuries will suit up against the Chargers, Tomlin said at his weekly news conference.

"We've got a clean bill of health," Tomlin said. "I think the bye week and off week worked in our favor."

Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson had only five carries for 25 yards before leaving Saturday's AFC wild-card game against the Indianapolis Colts with a groin injury. Tomlinson has said he doesn't know if he will play against the Steelers.

Tomlin is preparing for the five-time Pro Bowler and 2006 NFL MVP anyway.

"We expect him to play," Tomlin said. "Guys like him find a way. Guys like him defy the odds."

The Steelers don't get much of a bargain if Tomlinson is unable to play. His backup, Darren Sproles, rushed for 105 yards and the game-winning touchdown in the Chargers' 23-17 overtime victory over the Colts.

Tomlin said he didn't sense the Steelers had lost their edge after watching them practice Monday. The Steelers had been off over the weekend because of the first-round bye they received in the AFC playoffs. Tomlin said the Steelers' practices have generally been crisp and intense because of the difficult regular-season schedule the team played. Monday, he said, "was just a continuation of it. I don't think we're going to lack emotion or intensity (against the Chargers) by any stretch."

Steelers merchandise was the third-best seller on NFLShop.com from April 1-Dec. 31, according to the NFL. The only teams that had more merchandise sold on the site were the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants. Three Steelers jerseys ranked among the top 20 sellers on NFLShop.com, including those belonging to strong safety Troy Polamalu (No. 4), Roethlisberger (No. 10) and wide receiver Hines Ward (No. 18).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_605974.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: No special attention for QB Roethlisberger

I think Ben will be fine. He'll make a few mistakes.....he usually does even in his best games, but what QB doesn't. I just think this one is different than the Oakland game. You have to remember what his head and body just went through prior that last concussion. He wasn't fully recovered that entire season. I really think it took an entire year for him to recover from the accident....he was a different QB the next year and had his best season and went to the Pro Bowl.

If Ben plays crappy, it won't be because of the concussion. But I think he's going to make us all proud. We are primed for a Superbowl run this year......we are healthy and well grounded and focused thanks to Tomlin. We have the top ranked defense in the league and a QB who has been there before. They are playing at home in front of the best fans in any sport, in any town.

They want it bad. Real bad.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I think Ben will be fine. He'll make a few mistakes.....he usually does even in his best games, but what QB doesn't. I just think this one is different than the Oakland game. You have to remember what his head and body just went through prior that last concussion. He wasn't fully recovered that entire season. I really think it took an entire year for him to recover from the accident....he was a different QB the next year and had his best season and went to the Pro Bowl.

If Ben plays crappy, it won't be because of the concussion. But I think he's going to make us all proud. We are primed for a Superbowl run this year......we are healthy and well grounded and focused thanks to Tomlin. We have the top ranked defense in the league and a QB who has been there before. They are playing at home in front of the best fans in any sport, in any town.

They want it bad. Real bad.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Steelers merchandise was the third-best seller on NFLShop.com from April 1-Dec. 31, according to the NFL. The only teams that had more merchandise sold on the site were the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants. Three Steelers jerseys ranked among the top 20 sellers on NFLShop.com, including those belonging to strong safety Troy Polamalu (No. 4), Roethlisberger (No. 10) and wide receiver Hines Ward (No. 18).
that's impressive... 3 guys in the top 20 when there are SOOOO many players to choose from... i think that just stems from the quality and sheer size of Steelers Nation.