Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The San Diego Chargers needing to win their final four regular-season games to make the playoffs:

I think we've met our match this week in terms of a team that's been battle-tested. These guys have had their back against a wall and found ways to win. They've been in the playoffs over a month now, so the stage won't be too big for them. They won't be in awe by what they see when they come out of that tunnel on Sunday.

How the difficulty of the Steelers' regular-season schedule has sharpened them for the playoffs:

I think it has. Is it going to be significant? We'll see. But I think no question it has. I think that confidence is born out of rising up in the face of adversity. We've had some stiff competition. We're in a pretty decent position because we've had success against some of that competition. I think we're a confident bunch.

Whether the Steelers are motivated by losing in the first round of the playoffs last season:

I think that's so far in our rearview (mirror) at this point. We're a different group, some of the key components are different, some of the roles are different. I just think having an opportunity to do what we have to do and what's in front of us right now is motivation for all of us. We're in the final eight. We're in the final four of the AFC. It's awesome. It should be great motivation.

One aspect of the Chargers' offense that makes San Diego tough to defend:

They've really sharpened their screen game. They've hurt people and hurt people bad since we last played them. They get their uncovered linemen out in front, they dump the ball to tailbacks, fullbacks, tight ends. They block people and they run people into the end zone.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_605939.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

Nice read, LLT!

I think most Steelers fans realize that this game is not going to be a walk in the park and we will have our work cut out for us, as Coach T alludes to above. I strongly feel, as he does, that our Steelers are a very motivated, confident and determined group of guys who are going to give it everything they've got on Sunday and then some.

BRING IT ON BOLTS!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
One aspect of the Chargers' offense that makes San Diego tough to defend:

They've really sharpened their screen game. They've hurt people and hurt people bad since we last played them. They get their uncovered linemen out in front, they dump the ball to tailbacks, fullbacks, tight ends. They block people and they run people into the end zone.
i've said it before and i'll say it again... with the chargers screen game it's going to be sproles v.s timmons... its speed v.s speed and quite honestly if we don't win this matchup we'll have a hard time overcoming their offense... as the screen goes so do the chargers..

shedding blocks and blowing up the play is key for the steelers D and MAKING the tackle as soon as sproles catches is important!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
LetsRock
Water Boy

Member Number: 2733

This is all baloney. The Chargers are a 8-8 team and will be blown out early. I predict we will win by a minimun of 17 points.
LetsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i think if our defense can make rivers uncomfortable then he will make some mistakes that we can capitalize on to win the game.

its playoff football, no game is going to be a cake walk. every team knows its 1 and your done if you lose.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
This is all baloney. The Chargers are a 8-8 team and will be blown out early. I predict we will win by a minimun of 17 points.
I wouldnt climb so high that a slip of footing causes you to lose balance and fall. The higher youve climbed the greater the influence gravity has on impact to earth thus increasing the pain. Weather will negative any significant advantage by either team so i do expect it to be close........"last drive-close". Ive seen too many Steeler games end this way especially at home.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote