Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #21
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Mangini Browns new coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Yeah - this should be fun

"Tim Couch can lead this team to a superbowl." - Butch Davis, 2001.

"I can win with Brady Quinn" - The Mangenius, 2009
that is if brady isnt too busy with those subway and eas commericals.

looks like we get to beat up on another one of the hoodies lackies...lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #22
CB1977
Starter

Member Number: 6651

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Its Cleveland so its gotta be @ssbackwards. And notice how only 1 Browns fan has commented on this??? When they was hot for Cowher ya coudnt get them to shut up for nothing.
Ok ok KP...here is one of the other resident Browns fans. I just found out about our new HC this morning but, at the moment, I am at work and am freakin busy. I will comment on this subject later on; but I must say that hiring a HC before getting a GM in place is a little strange. I hope Lerner knows what he's doing. His poor dad is probably turning over in his grave right now.....

Anyway, I need to get back to work.

Talk later
CB1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #23
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

obv mangini was the best HC out there who the browns could get.. cowher,shanny,and hom were not coming back this yr..

at least Eric has some things to build off of... a fairly decent def that has a good young lb or 2 and rogers rearing the front.. and then on off u have some weps in edwards,k2,quinn and joe thomas,,, i think eric can get this team turned around next yr

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
obv mangini was the best HC out there who the browns could get.. cowher,shanny,and hom were not coming back this yr..

at least Eric has some things to build off of... a fairly decent def that has a good young lb or 2 and rogers rearing the front.. and then on off u have some weps in edwards,k2,quinn and joe thomas,,, i think eric can get this team turned around next yr
braylon cant stop whining about the cleveland fans b'ing at him bc he is from Michigan... i see him as a non factor if he dont get over that.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Just watched the news conference and I cant wait to beat him next year.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Its Cleveland so its gotta be @ssbackwards. And notice how only 1 Browns fan has commented on this??? When they was hot for Cowher ya coudnt get them to shut up for nothing.
Not every Browns fan is sold on the Mangini hiring. Most of us would prefer someone much more proven. Cowher fit the bill, though I can assure you, not every Browns fan wanted him either. Ultimately, we need to get a good GM and scouting staff so that we can get better returns on our draft choices. While we're not in terrible position (in regards to talent) we're still a bit disjointed (IMO) with the talent we have and the scheme we are using.

Bringing in Buddy Ryan's son as a DC might mean we are moving to a 4-3 scheme...or potentially trying to pull of a combination 3-4/4-3 similar to what is run in Baltimore by Buddy's other son.

Ultimately, matching the players with the scheme (or vice versa) will go a long way towards improving on our abysmal history since we returned before the turn of the century.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
I'll bite. I've been a bit busy.

What are you expecting all the Browns fans to jump on all at once "WOO! WE GOT MANGINI WE'RE GOING TO BEAT THE STEELERS NOW! SUPER BOWL IN 2010! HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! WOOF! WOOF!"

No, it's a very average hire to me and a lot of fans, not a bad one, not a great one. One that fits the role as head coach nicely. I'm still sort of upset that Lerner went this route rather than go out and hiring a GM first, but I have no control over that what-so-ever.

I'm waiting to see how he does. He might be good, he seems like he likes the job and loves the area, but all that doesn't mean anything until the season starts.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,864 Times in 934 Posts

I agree that Rob Ryan as DC is a good thing for Cleveland. But will have to see if Edwards and K2 still want out, or if the new Regime still wants their antics and stone hands.

Would have made more sense to me to get the GM first and look for an offensive minded coach. Honestly, I think this will last another 4-5 years and Mangini will be tossed too.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
I

What are you expecting all the Browns fans to jump on all at once "WOO! WE GOT MANGINI WE'RE GOING TO BEAT THE STEELERS NOW! SUPER BOWL IN 2010! HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! WOOF! WOOF!".
You know if you got Cowher you would be jumping....alas, he snubbed you.

Actually, Mangini is about the same as Crennel, and there sure wasn't a line of teams busting down his door for him. Looks like the Browns were the only team that even considered him.

Jets fans are pretty funny - most of them are tired of his boring pressers and lack of emotion on the sideline (Romeo 2.0?)

The Jets media is ripping him too:
(Take it for what it's worth)

NY DAILY NEWS

The issues:

The Favre Factor: Mangini handled Favre with kid gloves, rarely criticizing him in front of the team.

A TV report over the weekend said Mangini embarrassed Favre in meetings, but "that report was full of (garbage)," one player said. "He never called him out. If anything, he yelled at the receivers for not breaking up the passes. He'd just throw 'em up, and there was no accountability."

No emotion:

One veteran player said he glanced at the Dolphins' sideline during Sunday's game and saw coach Tony Sparano making animated gestures, interacting with his players after good and bad plays. The Jets player said he wondered why Mangini didn't act that way.

"It's okay to show emotion," said the player, describing Mangini's lack of emotion as his greatest flaw. "Football isn't all about X's and O's. There's a human element involved. We're not all robots. Sometimes a coach needs to show some passion. I think Eric has that in him, but he never showed it."

Mangini's stoic sideline demeanor became a source of frustration for disgruntled fans who demanded fire from their head coach. The players noticed it, too. One player said he tried too hard to be like Patriots coach Bill Belichick, his mentor, and he needed to act more like himself.

Owner Woody Johnson sidestepped a question Monday about Mangini's laid-back demeanor, but it's known that Johnson wasn't happy with the lack of fire among the players in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss. He evidently felt it was a reflection of the coach.

Too hands-on:

Mangini didn't call the offensive or defensive plays, but he was heavily involved in all aspects of the operation.

"The biggest thing I heard from upstairs (the front office) was that he didn't trust anyone," one player said. "He wouldn't let his coaches coach. He had his hand in everything."

Former Jets assistants have complained over the years that Mangini, known for his rigid rules and cloak-and-dagger paranoia, created a difficult working environment.

Not enough adjustments:

In recent weeks, the Jets were outsmarted by inferior teams that exploited their weaknesses. Mangini wasn't a good problem solver, as the same issues plagued the team week after week. The defense, in particular, was upset with the game plans and how certain players were deployed.

The low point came in the next-to-last game, when the Jets failed to record a sack against a Seattle offensive line that consisted of five former backups.

"The scheme was too vanilla against Seattle," one player said. "I think the coaches thought we were going to win just by showing up."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...wi.html?page=0

Browns lose out on two GM candidates
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter NFL.com

When Cleveland hired head coach Eric Mangini, it lost two general manager candidates.

Not only will New England’s vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli not be the Browns next general manager, but neither will Philadelphia’s Tom Heckert.

Heckert told the Browns he is canceling the interview that was scheduled for Friday because he doesn’t know Mangini and would not be entirely comfortable with the situation in Cleveland the way that it is. This leaves Baltimore’s director of pro personnel, George Kokinis, as the last known candidate for the Browns general manager job.

But there will be no Pioli in Cleveland and no Heckert.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,027 Times in 3,050 Posts

about as soon as manginas presser was over today, eagles gm tom heckert withdrew his name from consideration for the browns gm job.

of course the eagles have been great at gathering, assimilating, developing and keeping talent. he has close ties with steve spagnolo, and likely woulda looked to him to be HC.

looks like the browns really screwed the pooch.

*arf*