Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers: Must cut down on the penalties vs. Chargers

Steelers: Must cut down on the penalties vs. Chargers
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/...terstitialskip

PITTSBURGH -- One of several oddities in the Pittsburgh Steelers' 11-10 win against the San Diego Chargers in November was that Pittsburgh's offense had one of its better games of the season -- but only in terms of yardage.

The Steelers racked up 410 yards, their second highest total of the season. But beyond a goal-line stand by the Chargers, one key reason the Steelers didn't score a touchdown was that they were penalized 13 times for 115 yards.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw for 308 yards but was sacked four times. Willie Parker rushed for 115 yards but had a touchdown called back by a penalty. The Steelers did all their scoring on three field goals and a safety.

Pittsburgh will face the San Diego defense again Sunday in the divisional round of the playoffs.
"Our red zone efficiency has to improve, Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "We know it's a great defense. We moved the ball last time. We converted on third down (7-14). We had some success in the no-huddle. The key is getting down there and scoring six points rather than three."

A key to that could be avoiding penalties.

"They got me for two holding calls (in the last game with the Chargers), but that's something you just got to work on," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said.

"You don't know who the refs are going to be. Each crew calls the game a little differently. But we definitely can't afford to negate some big plays on penalties. That's something we've also got to look at and make sure that we don't do."

The Steelers did score a defensive touchdown on the final play of their win against San Diego. But Troy Polamalu's return of a last-ditch lateral attempt by the Charges was incorrectly called back by the officials. It was the first game in NFL history to end in an 11-10 score.
-- Gary Mihoces
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092
Default Re: Steelers: Must cut down on the penalties vs. Chargers

Yea we had like 11 or 12 penalties and the chargers had one I think some of that is on us and some is on the refs

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
kmsteelerwr15
Team President

Location: going to school at Tusculum College but living in NC
Member Number: 1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post
Yea we had like 11 or 12 penalties and the chargers had one I think some of that is on us and some is on the refs
all i want is the hlding calls to be more consistent. How can the Chargers, and everyone else, get away with the choke holds on Harrsion but McHugh gets a good block and they call back a TD?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

Watch the holds Colon!!! He has been called for holdin gat the absolute worst times. I feel like this game will have no room for errors. Maybe the officials will give some fair treatment for blown calls from earlier this year. They owe us one.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrz fan View Post
Maybe the officials will give some fair treatment for blown calls from earlier this year. They owe us one.
In all fairness, SD were the victims of by far the worst call in the league this year by Hochuli. I hope the refs swallow their whistles to an extent and just let the players play. When the refs become conspicuous, that's when they're usually doing a bad job.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post
Yeah it was 13 penalties for 115 yards on the Steelers vs. 2 penalties for 5 yards on the Chargers (second penalty taking away Troys TD, was called a mistake by the refs after the game).

Another holding call on Mchugh (sp?) negated a Willie Parker TD and led to us having to win the game with a FG instead.

Like many others, I wouldn't have been so upset about it if it had just been a fairly called game, I know some of the penalties were just, but some of the bigger ones (PI call on Taylor that led to the Chargers having 1st and goal on the 3 yard line) were completely bogus.

I think this was the game that started the 6 (or maybe 7) game streak with not one holding call on opposing offenses. Meanwhile, Colon and Miller get holding calls regularly when they are on the field.

I agree though, that penalties need to be cut down, Colon's holding calls seem to be the worst of them all, but it ticks me off because I'm not sure it's any worse than the holding that doesn't get called on opposing offenses. I don't know, I just hope we get to see a fairly called game this time is all.