Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
NmL1232
Water Boy

Member Number: 11391
Default This guy is a tool

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...eth&id=3821223

It's payback time for Chargers

1. LaDainian Tomlinson won't play.

It's awful to see a future Hall of Famer and one of the league's classiest players banged up in the postseason. But San Diego has wasted precious plays during the past two playoff games -- against the Pats in the 2008 AFC Championship and the Colts last week -- giving the injured superstar a chance. Tomlinson deserves credit for toughing it out, but if he can't plant or accelerate, he's not himself, and it hurts the team. He knows it, and so does everyone else, including Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who might have been egging Tomlinson into playing with quotes like "Guys like him find a way. Guys like him defy the odds."

You wish, Coach. Instead

2. The Steelers will face Darren Sproles every play.

After gaining 328 total yards against the Colts, the 5-foot-6, 181-pound flash is the league's newest, hottest weapon. Everyone knew he was a good return guy, but his skills out of the backfield sneaked up on everyone. He didn't reach double digits in carries until the season finale. Against Pittsburgh on Nov. 16, he had one carry.

The Steelers are probably salivating, eager to put a lick on Sproles to see how he responds. But they've got to find him first. Sproles was almost invisible against the Colts, ducking and dodging behind the line, squirting through holes, making it hard for the defense to get a square shot on him. Granted, Pittsburgh's defense is better than Indy's. But the Chargers don't need Sproles to put up huge numbers. They just need Pittsburgh to respect the threat of him. That will open passing lanes for Rivers, who's confident going into this game because

3. The second meeting between a defense and a quarterback favors the QB.

True, Pittsburgh has played great defense this season. True, one of its better games was against Rivers on Nov. 16, holding him to 164 yards and intercepting two passes. But there's a reason Rivers has lost consecutive games to the same opponent only once in his career. He adjusts.

Pittsburgh's speed or home crowd won't surprise him. He'll know which matchups work and which won't. "You can't make a snap judgment of what [Rivers] is capable of based upon what happened in that game," Tomin told reporters this week. Agreed.

True, Ben Roethlisberger is facing San Diego's defense for the second time, too. But the problem is

4. Unlike Rivers, who has been on fire recently, Big Ben has played just well enough to win.

Norv Turner tried gushing over Big Ben earlier this week, saying the Steelers have "one of the best quarterbacks in the league in almost every category."

Chargers vs. Steelers Preview

NFL.com Video

A preview of the AFC Divisional Playoff matchup between the Chargers and the Steelers.
I'd like to know which ones. He's not among the top five in attempts, completions, yards, completion percentage, yards per pass or touchdowns. Maybe Turner was looking at interceptions, in which only three QBs threw more than Big Ben's 15. Or fumbles, in which he's the league leader with 14. Among quarterbacks still playing, Roethlisberger is tied with rookie Joe Flacco for worst touchdown-to-interception differential (plus-2). Sneaky guy that Turner, disguising indifference that way.

This isn't to hate on Ben. He has had a screen-door offensive line (another reason the Steelers won't win) and has played hurt all season. But Tomin was asked this week if he'd bench Big Ben if the quarterback played poorly. Tomlin said no (probably another reason right there), but the fact that it's even a topic is disconcerting.

Turner, of course, isn't being asked those questions. Nor is he being asked questions about bad calls by the refs that cost San Diego games, because

5. The football gods are repaying the snakebitten Chargers.

Face it: As badly as the Chargers played at times this season, they couldn't get a break. They lost to Carolina on the last play. A lousy call killed them against Denver. The power went out in Buffalo, literally. They had to travel to London. Bad calls against the Colts on Nov. 23 had a hand in that loss. "It would have been so easy for us to lose confidence as a team," said defensive end Luis Castillo. "But we stayed confident."

Last week against Indy, the breaks went San Diego's way, despite the Chargers' best tries to tempt fate. After all, Turner called his final timeout with 2:30 left; the Colts were one first down from being able to kneel the game to its end. The Qualcomm crowd booed, sensing another clock-management botch.

But San Diego forced a punt, getting the ball back with plenty of time to tie the score. In overtime, the Bolts benefited from three penalties, including a holding call on third-and-8 by cornerback Tim Jennings on receiver Chris Chambers. It was a terrible call, the type that San Diego has suffered from this season. But nobody was complaining. The powers that be were saying to the Chargers what the Chargers on Sunday will say to Pittsburgh:

It's payback time.

Seth Wickersham is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a columnist for ESPN.com.

This is guy is a freaking tool.

I dont know who posted the statistic about how the team does better the second time around, but obviously this guy does not like to do research....
Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: This guy is a tool

WOW... this guy is def swallowing the chargers

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665

What a damn fool!!! Wonder with how many charger players he has slept with

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,160 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
This guy is a tool
Being a tool is a prerequisite for working at ESPN.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

Typical West Coast bias from BSPN. I avoid this "network" (I use the term loosely) like the plague.
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
They just need Pittsburgh to respect the threat of him. That will open passing lanes for Rivers
And who says this is how it will play out???? Easier said than done Seth.

Quote:
The second meeting between a defense and a quarterback favors the QB.
Says WHO?????

Quote:
True, Pittsburgh has played great defense this season. True, one of its better games was against Rivers on Nov. 16, holding him to 164 yards and intercepting two passes. But ........
There's always a "but."

Quote:
Seth Wickersham is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a columnist for ESPN.com.
....And the only one of his collegues who picked the Chargers.

Personally, I've never heard of the guy. His whole column is nothing but theories of seemingly wishful thinking. Can I get a job as a senior writer at ESPN too???
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
westcoastransplant
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11289

But I thought that ESPN showed east coast bias against any team from the west coast.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Oh please, granted yes, Ben has really only been playing well enough to win, but look at the kind of defenses he's been up against and how pathetic the run game and the OL are, I think it's great that most of the games he's played well enough to win....geesh.

And seriously, it wasn't like Rivers was playing lights out against the Colts mediocre defense last week, he merely played well enough to win the game (in OT). All the other games except for the declining Tampa team (who helped the SD offense by throwing 2 picks) were against some of the leagues worst defenses, of course he looked hot.

I just looked up Rivers stats for the Colts game, and his passer rating was 61.9 for that game....20/36 for 217 yards 0 TD's 1 INT and 4 sacks....If those are the kind of stats you need to be playing hot then I guess Ben is charbroiled by now lol.

What a bunch of garbage....this guy makes me want to throw up a little.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Dr. Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10996

I just find it funny that this writer, reporter, hack even suggested that the Steelers defense should be worried that Darren Sproles will get most of the carries this Sunday. Oh no Darren Sproles is coming to town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We' re Doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope our defense comes out and just beats the tar out of Rivers, Sproles and the rest of the Chargers offense.
Dr. Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
UltimateFootballNetwork
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9674

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain7 View Post
Typical West Coast bias from BSPN. I avoid this "network" (I use the term loosely) like the plague.
Really? That is a new one for me.

This is one writers opinion, folks, settle down. His opinions have merit and we shall see if they come true or not on Sunday.