Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617
Default Amazing what a good O-Line produces.

FWP rushing for 140 yds 2 TD - People thought he was done...

Ben goes 17-26 for 180 yds 1 Td no turnovers - People thought he sucked

Arians playcalling, not running the ball enough to pass happy. Parker rushes 26 times, Ben throws 26 times, perfect balance, Offense busts out 35 points. - Oh wait, Arians sucks
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104
Default Re: Amazing what a good O-Line produces.

That is what we were saying dude...RUN THE BALL and the offense will improve.

and funny how a good running game improve the O....

if we can run against the ravens we will be ok
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,303 Times in 649 Posts

So now the O-line is suddenly good?????

I thought it was the worst Steelers in history? Everybody climb on the bandwagon for another week, then get ready to throw them under the bus again.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Dojo Chargerfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 11350

I actually loved the blitz scheme the Chargers ran. The Steelers OLine played healthy and together. They really stepped up. Ben had all day. Not only that but Fast Willy's best friends are the hogs in front of him and they didn't let him down.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Dr. Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10996

Its funny how a healthy Willie Parker improves the running game. Anybody with half a brain could tell all season for the most part that Fast Willie wasn't 100 percent. This was the best I have seen Parker run since 2006. He was very good last year but today he looked like the back that had a great year in 2006.

As for the offensive line. They played really well today and I think them getting sync as a unit is a big reason for the improvement. Really the Steelers have four new starters among the OL from last year after Simmons went down earlier in the year. Max Starks filled in for a couple games last year at LT. But Marvel Smith was the starter this year at LT and Starks had to replace him once again after Smith went down with injury.

When you have that many new starters along the offensive line its going to take time for the unit to come together as one. The only thing that drives me nuts about the OL is the stupid false start penalties at home.
Dr. Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
That is what we were saying dude...RUN THE BALL and the offense will improve.

and funny how a good running game improve the O....

if we can run against the ravens we will be ok
Nope.

You are wrong, because we have been balanced ALL YEAR.

We have passed the ball 52 percent of the time and ran the ball 48 percent of the time. That is balance. Especially when you remember that we have had to come from behind to win games.

So why did the offense look so much better today?

2 reasons. Willie Parker and Ben Roethlisberger. The way they played, they put the defense on their heels. They also came out running the I formation and smacked the D in the mouth. Then, they went wide off that.

So no, it wasn't the fact that they started running. It was the fact that the RB and QB are finally healthy, at the same time. And the Line decided to show up and play.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
So now the O-line is suddenly good?????

I thought it was the worst Steelers in history? Everybody climb on the bandwagon for another week, then get ready to throw them under the bus again.
It only took them 18 games.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

this one game does not mean the O-line is good. the O-line is clearly in need of upgrades. yes, they played very well today, but what about the next game and the next game and so on..? you need positive consistency in an O-line.

Quote:
FWP rushing for 140 yds 2 TD - People thought he was done
then using that logic you must feel that if parker sucks next week he is done. right?

when the O-line opens big holes then most any RB in the NFL will get yards. i am a strong believer in the O-line being what makes the running game work, not the RB. unless the RB is barry sanders

don't get me wrong, parker played very well today. some of those runs were due to his speed, but the majority were the result of the O-line.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Good protection, and a developed run game with 0 turnovers will always equal a win!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,303 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Nope.

You are wrong, because we have been balanced ALL YEAR.

We have passed the ball 52 percent of the time and ran the ball 48 percent of the time. That is balance. Especially when you remember that we have had to come from behind to win games.

So why did the offense look so much better today?

2 reasons. Willie Parker and Ben Roethlisberger. The way they played, they put the defense on their heels. They also came out running the I formation and smacked the D in the mouth. Then, they went wide off that.

So no, it wasn't the fact that they started running. It was the fact that the RB and QB are finally healthy, at the same time. And the Line decided to show up and play.
Sorry to disagree Preacher, but the Offense actually came out and ran the football from a single back formation for most of the first half. They only sprinkled in a few I-formation sets.

They also had 27 pass attempts and 42 Rushing attempts. Not exactly 48:52% ratio. I think we all saw the game similarly and the Steelers came out and ran the football to get themselves in manageable 3rd down situations. Ben did nothing extraordinary, but he played smart and managed the football. He played a textbook game of what he needs to do to win.

the O line opened the holes and Arians-Zeirline have to get credit for exploiting the "bubble " in the Chargers 3-4 defense. Good game, but physical running game setup the pass and controlled the clock.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote