Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Broncos To Hire McDaniels

Quote:
Broncos to hire Pats' McDaniels

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

With a quarterback they want to nurture and a franchise-shaping decision to be made the Broncos agreed to terms with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels Sunday to be their next head coach.

No documents have been signed and final details were still being hammered out Sunday night, but the two sides had come to an agreement on a multi-year deal thought to be either four or five years to be the team's 10th head coach.

McDaniels was one of seven NFL assistant coaches who had been interviewed since Mike Shanahan had been fired Dec. 30 and the only one of the seven who had two interviews with the team.

Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis traveled to Providence, R.I. – where team officials had interviewed McDaniels a week ago – Thursday night for the second of the two interviews, almost immediately following the team's interview with Dolphins assistant head coach/secondary Todd Bowles in the Broncos' Dove Valley complex earlier that day.

Ellis and McDaniels met for several hours and covered a wide variety of topics.

It was McDaniels' wide-ranging resume and the Patriots' championship pedigree – the Super Bowl wins and four appearances in the title game overall since the start of the 2001 season – that pointed the Broncos his way.

The 32-year-old McDaniels started his NFL career in the Patriots' personnel department in 2001 while also having coached on both the team's offensive and defensive staffs.

He was the offensive coordinator for the Patriots' record setting offense in 2007 – a single-season scoring mark to go with Tom Brady's record 50 touchdown passes – and this past season guided Matt Cassel, who had not started a game since high school, to a 3,000-yard passing season.

McDaniels has also been defensive assistant as well for Bill Belichick having coached the secondary in 2003, another of the Patriots' Super Bowl teams. In that '03 season McDaniels received raves from around the league for his work with the Patriots' injury-riddled secondary with then starters Ty Law and Tyrone Poole having been injured that season.

In the '07 season McDaniels broke the mold on the offense putting Brady into a spread look – out of a shotgun snap the majority of the time – as the Patriots rolled up record totals in an 18-0 regular season. It was a look the Broncos looked at plenty in the offseason before using it themselves during this past season when Jay Cutler set the team's single-season passing mark and earned his first Pro Bowl trip.

The Broncos made the rounds around the league this week doing plenty of homework on McDaniels, receiving almost universally positive reports.

The only concern some team officials had initially was the fact McDaniels comes from a highly-successful, yet sometimes difficult – some in the league have termed it "joyless'' – system in New England.

And two former Belichick assistants were fired this season – Mangini, by the Jets and Romeo Crennel, by the Browns – while another in Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis publicly took plenty of heat with published reports of poor people skills and difficult interactions with potential recruits.

However, McDaniels alleviated those concerns in his interviews with teams officials, showing an enthusiastic approved and presentations that showed preparation and his plan for the Broncos.

The Broncos have missed the playoffs in three consecutive seasons and have won one playoff game since the team's championship to close out the 1998 season.

Also, he's expected to bring Dom Capers, a former head coach and currently the Patriots secondary coach, with him to be the team's defensive coordinator.
Broncos to hire Pats' McDaniels
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Broncos To Hire McDaniels

Daniels seems to fit the broncos imo

Looks like a good hiring, but it could also go the way the other belichick assistants have gone....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274

So will the Broncos end up like the Pats*....cheaters?

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Mike Nolan will be his DC. Could be a good team in a few years as soon as the d gets built to thier liking.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

doesn't history show that belicheat assistants dont turn out to be good head coaches?
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
KYMDFAN
Water Boy

Member Number: 11574

I think the Broncos made the worst mistake in history by letting Shanahan go. I think he was a great coach just his team didn't play motivated this year. Cutler didn't seem to care when he was playing. I seen him throw picks and just walk off the field seeming relieved that he was going to be able to sit down.
KYMDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

bad move, they need a defensive minded coach.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMDFAN View Post
I think the Broncos made the worst mistake in history by letting Shanahan go. I think he was a great coach just his team didn't play motivated this year. Cutler didn't seem to care when he was playing. I seen him throw picks and just walk off the field seeming relieved that he was going to be able to sit down.
I agree totally......I can't believe that Denver would fire a proven coach like Shanny for an unproven like McDaniels. As we all know, Pats coordinators have not exactly shined. Big, big mistake. I hope Shanny takes another job and sticks it in Bowlen's a**.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
bad move, they need a defensive minded coach.
I dunno - if Capers will be coming as the DC as part of the deal, it may be a good move. However, I don't think the Broncos' current defensive personnel are readily adaptable to a 3-4 scheme. OTOH, the Broncos need a serious infusion of talent on that side of the ball anyway. Should be interesting.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMDFAN View Post
I originally felt it was a boneheaded move, as well, but I think the Broncs FO just want to move in a totally different direction and start cleaning house sooner rather than later. Denver has only won ONE playoff game in the last 10 seasons and eventually, it all falls back on the HC. It will be interesting to see what McDaniels can do to turn that team around.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote