Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Leftwich Update

As much as I'd like to keep him as a backup I wouldn't mind him being a Bear. The man can be a starter

Quote:

Leftwich on Bears: 'Tell them to look me up'

January 12, 2009
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

PITTSBURGH -- Byron Leftwich thought he was headed to the Bears in 2003, when he was coming out of Marshall and they held the fourth pick in the draft.

Now he's a candidate to be on the Bears' radar as they search for a free-agent quarterback after general manager Jerry Angelo identified the position as his No. 1 offseason priority. After proving with the Pittsburgh Steelers this season that he is over ankle injuries that limited him to nine games the previous two years, Leftwich is among a handful of available passers from which the Bears could pick, a group that also includes David Carr, Jeff Garcia, J.P. Losman and Chris Simms.

Leftwich, who turns 29 Wednesday and was a four-year starter in Jacksonville, has a strong arm, as he displayed Sunday on a perfectly thrown deep ball that Limas Sweed dropped. He was 7-for-10 for 129 yards and a touchdown in a Nov. 3 victory at Washington after a right shoulder injury knocked out Ben Roethlisberger, and he finished the season 21-for-36 for 303 yards and two touchdowns.

''We are in the playoff run right now, so I don't even want to go there, but tell them to look me up,'' Leftwich said. ''I'm a fan of Lovie Smith, I'll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You're growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV, I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there.

''I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I'm ready to play again.''

NOTE: The Chargers' loss ensures the Bears will pick 18th in the first round of the draft.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...side12.article

If only sweed had caught that ball
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Leftwich Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
As much as I'd like to keep him as a backup I wouldn't mind him being a Bear. The man can be a starter

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...side12.article

If only sweed had caught that ball
OK..... So what if....

What if we franchise him... and demand a first and a third for him. ANyone thing we would get it?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
OK..... So what if....

What if we franchise him... and demand a first and a third for him. ANyone thing we would get it?
nope....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

he's as good as gone.. and rightfully so.. he's better than a good number of quarterbacks who started this year. i sure would like to send him off with a ring though.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
nope....
But but but....

The Browns were talking first and third for D.A. last year. Why not?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
''I want a chance to go somewhere and play.
selfish bastard.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

OK...

On a more SERIOUS note, I would like to see us resign him, then field offers for him. However, with all the FA's that we will have to resign this offseason, I doubt we would have room to play games like that.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,795 Posts

Quote:
selfish bastard.....
Yeah....And his one year here, there's a chance he may get a ring too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
OK...

On a more SERIOUS note, I would like to see us resign him, then field offers for him. However, with all the FA's that we will have to resign this offseason, I doubt we would have room to play games like that.
nah....the guy wants to play, not be a backup for the rest of his carrear...gotta respect him for that....you know he's not just playing for a paycheck...

Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
nah....the guy wants to play, not be a backup for the rest of his carrear...gotta respect him for that....you know he's not just playing for a paycheck...
Too true. Though I would LOVE to keep him as a backup you know?