Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Woodley breaks out of funk By Jim Wexell

Woodley breaks out of funk
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=468632&rfi=6

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin said that he had teased LaMarr Woodley down the stretch, told him he had hit a wall, joked about his lack of sacks.
The presumption is that Woodley took his coach's ribbing in stride, the way he didn't with the media.

In fact, last week, Woodley got sick and tired of the question, even ornery and mean. So he did something about it. The Steelers' left outside linebacker got a pair of sacks to lead the defensive effort in Sunday's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers.

"The opportunity was just there," said Woodley, who had been held without a sack the last four games of the regular season.

"I made sure I wrapped him up. If you look at some of the other late games, I had the quarterback right there and didn't wrap him up. This time I couldn't let him get away in a crucial game like this."

So he slammed his head off the end zone.

"Oh, man. I hope I don't get fined for that," Woodley said. "Why y'all have to bring that up?"

Woodley will take the fine if it means another chance for a sack that deep in Steelers territory. That was his second sack of the game. The first occurred in the first quarter on 2nd-and-12, and after the 8-yard loss Woodley seemed to shout to the press box, "There's your wall!"

Instead, Woodley was just talking smack to the rambunctious San Diego quarterback Phil Rivers.

"He was jawing at me, telling me to get back to the huddle. So that kind of motivated me to get him again," Woodley said, and that's what he did.

On San Diego's first series of the four quarter, with the Steelers leading, 21-10, Woodley sacked Rivers for a 10-yard loss back to the Steelers' 1-yard line, and in the process ragdolled Rivers with a body slam in the end zone. The sack led to a Steelers touchdown a series later that effectively put the game away.

"Once that score went up a little bit, he quieted down," Woodley said of Rivers. "Now he's got a long flight back to California."

The sacks weren't the only big plays for Woodley, who in the first quarter ran with speedster Darren Sproles on a 3rd-and-5 play. Woodley blanketed the running back and forced a punt.

"He definitely has the speed that I don't have," Woodley said. "A little angle pursuit helped me beat him to a certain spot and that forced the quarterback to throw it over his head."

Woodley also slammed Sproles to the ground on another key reception as the linebacker played as fast and fresh as he has at any point during his 11.5-sack regular season.

"The bigger the ante is, the bigger the pot, the better we play," fellow Michigan alum Larry Foote said of Woodley.

Foote had an interception on San Diego's only third-quarter play.

"That's how we do it," he said. "LaMarr was whupping that tackle today."

"Woodley played a great game," said bookend James Harrison. "I couldn't get there, so he came in and got to the quarterback, just like he did all year."

Or at least most of the year.

Just kidding.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Woodley breaks out of funk By Jim Wexell

Woodley had a big game for us yesterday. Great to see. And why is Rivers such a trash talker. Love to see Woodley set him straight. Now here's to him having another big game next Sunday. Kudos to Woodley!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote