Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Re: SI.com's All-Disappointment Team: Who didn't play up to par in 2008 ~ ~ ~

Remember once upon a time ago last year, Arizona had big salary cap problems largely b/c of the boneheaded rookie contract they gave to Larry Fitzgerald. With incentives et al that even the halfway decent FOs wouldn't have done, Fitz had some $14m cap figure going into this year. B/c of that(and his initial refusal to renegotiate), they almost went into desperation and tried to trade him to the EAGLES for a washed up Lito Sheppard, Turdston Justice, and a #2. I mean Wow...that would have been HIGHWAY ROBBERY on the part of the Eagles. I know they're in the NFCCG now, but with Fitz, they would have ruled the NFC and their path to the NFCCG would have been alot more easier.

Anyhow-pt being that Faneca was Wisenhunt's apple of his eye, but b/c of the cap figure Fitz had(and his initial refusal to renegotiate), they weren't able to sign him. Even though Fitz finally gave in at the end, the damage already had been done. Problems apparently persisted as there was concern over whether they could keep other players to make room for the cap, whether they could sign all their draft picks, etc. It was as if their FO was the biggest joke of the NFL.

You wanna know what's funny too? After this, Fitz said something like, "I'm looking forward to winning a championship with this team". Fast forward a year later...
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,796 Times in 899 Posts
Default Re: SI.com's All-Disappointment Team: Who didn't play up to par in 2008 ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
But it was a GREAT call for the Steelers NOT to pay him #1 or #2 money, especially for 4 or 5 years. He went from the best guard to the 5th best (this is obviously subjective but for arguments sake lets go with it) in just a year or two. How overpaid will Faneca be in another two years? What kind of sacred cow status will he hold on the Jets? Look how they coddled Favre.

This was a great FO move by the Steelers, and it will become clearer and clearer over the next season or two...
I completely agree!! Now if they only had drafted Carl Nicks, the would have had a starting guard next season for less than $1million.

Nicks looked as though he would be a second-round choice in the 2008 draft after an impressive senior season at Nebraska and a good week of practice at the Senior Bowl, but an off-the-field incident dropped him into the fifth round.

The Saints moved him from tackle to left offensive guard.

Nicks struggled at times early on, but once he got some experience under his belt, he really looked impressive.

This huge young man is an explosive run blocker and has excellent movement skills for a big man. In recent weeks, Nicks has improved as a pass blocker.
http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...inting_season_
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I really could have cared less about D.A., but I beleive you and I both were about the loudest voices on this board about saying goodbye to Faneca... I was saying it in the middle of last season matter of fact.
woop! I was on that wagon, just not as loudly.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

I remember all the talks about the Browns and how derek anderson would finally beat the Steelers....ha!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #25
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i didn't pay a whole lot of attention to faneca , or the jets, but they did have a heck of a lot more success in thier running then they had before faneca.
don't forget to factor in favre in the equation as well..