Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Bring on the Steelers

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,6906812.story
baltimoresun.com
Bring on the Steelers
After two losses to heated rival, Ravens get another shot

By Jamison Hensley | jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

January 13, 2009

When the Ravens were watching the AFC divisional game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Diego Chargers on Sunday, they found themselves in an unusual situation.

The Ravens players were actually rooting for the Steelers.

As in most of the postseason, the Ravens got what they wanted, gaining a rematch - or third grudge match - with their division rivals in Sunday's AFC championship game.

"We were kind of hoping for it. It's an opportunity for one of our organizations to really build up the level of hatred," Ravens inside linebacker Bart Scott said. "Somebody is going to be happy, somebody is going to be hurt."

Comments like these yesterday were surprising from the usually tight-lipped Ravens, who rarely give opponents "bulletin-board" material.

But the Ravens still feel the sting of two losses to the Steelers this season.

On Sept. 29, the Ravens led 13-3 in the second half only to lose on a 46-yard field goal in overtime. Last month, the Ravens held a 9-3 advantage in the fourth quarter only to fall on a controversial touchdown catch by Santonio Holmes in the final minute.

After evening the score with the Tennessee Titans last week, the Ravens are looking for more redemption.

"If you feel like you didn't necessarily get beat but you lost the game, you always want to have the opportunity to play that team again," Ravens safety Jim Leonhard said. "Pittsburgh's got us twice this year, and give them all the credit in the world for doing that, but we feel like we have our opportunity in front of us. We have one goal all season, and that's to win the Super Bowl. And we have to beat Pittsburgh to get there."

Leonhard said that before he joined the Ravens it was obvious the teams didn't like each other. His opinion didn't change after playing two games in the heated rivalry.

"You know you have to come to work 60 minutes that day or you're going to get it handed to," Leonhard said.

While the players and coaches have changed over the seasons, the bad blood has remained.

Earlier this season, Ravens defensive end-linebacker Terrell Suggs bragged about having bounties on Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward and running back Rashard Mendenhall (who suffered a season-ending shoulder injury on a hit by Ray Lewis). Suggs later said there were no bounties, saying they were players that the defense were focused on stopping.

In the last meeting, Ravens cornerback Frank Walker spat in the face of punter Mitch Berger, according to Berger. Walker explained that it was an accident, calling it a "slobber moment."

Said Ward after Sunday's win over the Chargers: "It's not going to be a street fight. It's going to be a war."

This is one topic on which Ward and Scott - two of the biggest adversaries - both agree.

"It's two teams that try to impose their will on each other," Scott said. "Whenever you have two teams that are evenly matched, both sides are going to pay the price on the body. I look at it like [Miguel] Cotto and [Antonio] Margarito. Nobody is running or ducking or hiding from each other. We're going to stand in the middle of the ring, and we'll see who comes out on top."

Altercations, late hits and personal fouls have been a running theme in this rivalry.

Ravens linebacker Jarret Johnson made a costly mistake in the first meeting with a late hit on Ward. That personal foul jump-started the Steelers' rally.

In a series in which tempers can flare, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said his team won't keep its emotions "in check."

"But our emotions are going to be focused and directed at what needs to be done to win a football game," Harbaugh said. "Our guys are smart and disciplined. I think they'll be that way on Sunday."

This third meeting wasn't a surprise for the Ravens or the Steelers. The Ravens not only wanted another shot at the Steelers, but some players also predicted it after the second meeting.

"Some teams you know when you face them once or twice there is the possibility you'll have the opportunity to play them again, and the Steelers are one of those teams," wide receiver Derrick Mason said. "We just had to be patient, and our opportunity is here. We just have to take advantage of it."

With two road wins already in this season's playoffs, the sixth-seeded Ravens are not backing down from the challenge.

"You want to play the best, and I think they are the best right now," Scott said. "You want to test yourself. We look forward to it."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Bring on the Steelers

Quote:
"Our guys are smart and disciplined. I think they'll be that way on Sunday."
Which ones, I'd like to see them.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
In a series in which tempers can flare, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said his team won't keep its emotions "in check."
so then we could see them getting flagged for personal fouls that could cost them the game. well i guess maybe they need an excuse after they lose.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Bring it bitches!!!!!!!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The Rats are a filthy nasty dirty awful franchise...just the asshole of the NFL.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
H8R
Banned

Member Number: 11691

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The Rats are a filthy nasty dirty awful franchise...just the asshole of the NFL.
Funny stuff.....
H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
jasonhightower
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7798

Damn I hope we beat these guys by at least 14. I don't want to hear any excuses from these whiny punks...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I thought that was the patriots* and the ratbirds were the taint?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

If you were to give the NFL an enema, Patriots* is where you would stick the hose and Baltimore is what would come out.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

"Comments like these yesterday were surprising from the usually tight-lipped Ravens, who rarely give opponents "bulletin-board" material."

Yep, written by a home town homer rag alright. Anyone with half a brain will see that the Ravens have been far from "tight lipped" this season.

The Ravens are one of the few teams that will never shut up about anything.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote