Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Post Steelers ‘tired of losing at home’ in title games

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28627032/

Steelers ‘tired of losing at home’ in title games

Pittsburgh, 0-2 in hosting AFC championship, ready to reverse trend

updated 2:51 p.m. PT, Mon., Jan. 12, 2009
PITTSBURGH - Tom Brady. Tom Brady. John Elway.

Detect a trend?

No NFL team has lost more conference championship games at home in less time than the Pittsburgh Steelers did during the 1994-2004 seasons — four of them in five tries, repeatedly costing them the opportunity to build an addition onto their already spacious 1ʍoq ɹǝdns trophy case.

The numerous January home-field losses defined former coach Bill Cowher’s career for a decade, and left Steelers fans constantly wringing their Terrible Towels amid cries of “Why can’t we win a big one here?”

There’s something to remember from all those defeats, though: The other team’s quarterback generally was pretty good.

And the opposing quarterback Sunday in the Steelers’ seventh AFC championship game in 15 seasons won’t be Brady or Elway, but Baltimore rookie Joe Flacco, who did little in two regular season games against them.

If any Steelers team of recent vintage appears equipped to cast aside the bad memories all of those January home-field losses, it may be this one — a team that, unlike those of the 1990s, has numerous players who have already won a 1ʍoq ɹǝdns in black and gold.

“To me this is the 1ʍoq ɹǝdns,” Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said of the third Ravens-Steelers game in less than four months. “You don’t want to have a bad taste in your mouth by losing and watching that team go to the 1ʍoq ɹǝdns.”

When the Steelers finally won a fifth 1ʍoq ɹǝdns three years ago, they clearly thrived on playing every game away from home and dodging the constant questions of why they couldn’t win big playoff games at home.

Now, because many of them already own Steelers 1ʍoq ɹǝdns rings, there are no expectations inside their locker room there will be a letdown to match that of, for example, the January 1995 loss to San Diego in which defensive back Tim McKyer was so disoriented after allowing the game-winning touchdown catch that he was carried off the field.

Then there were all those interceptions Kordell Stewart threw into the Broncos’ arms in January 1998. The Patriots losing Brady to injury in January 2002 but still winning with Drew Bledsoe at quarterback in the second half. The Steelers squad with the best record in club history, the 15-1 team of 2004, losing to the Patriots again in a bitter-weather blowout.

Ancient history, these Steelers say. After all, they were the only home team to win during the divisional round last weekend, beating the Chargers 35-24 on Sunday.
How about that: the home-field advantage paying off for the Steelers in January.

“It’s big,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “The last time we were here (for the AFC title game) my rookie year, I didn’t play so well, so I’ll be looking for a little redemption. It’s going to be a great battle.”

If anyone can relate to what Flacco is going through this week as a rookie quarterback about to play for the AFC championship, it’s Roethlisberger.

No rookie came close to accomplishing what Roethlisberger did by going 13-0 during his rookie season, then beating the Jets in the divisional round. But in the AFC championship game rematch against the Patriots, who had lost earlier in Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger looked like an ordinary Joe while going 14-of-24 for 226 yards and three interceptions.

Brady, as usual, was exceptional, throwing for 207 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions as the Patriots rolled to a 41-27 victory in a game they led 41-20 until the final minute. They went on to win their third 1ʍoq ɹǝdns, and their second after beating Pittsburgh to get there.

Flacco probably can’t be just any old Joe if the Ravens are to win in Pittsburgh, where they have dropped seven of their last eight. Yet he was exactly that against the Steelers this season, going 27-of-59 for 307 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in two close losses.

For comparison’s sake, Flacco is 257-of-428 for 2,971 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions as a rookie. Roethlisberger was 196-of-295 for 2,621 yards, 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 2004.

Flacco couldn’t get the Ravens into the end zone in last month’s 13-9 loss to Pittsburgh in Baltimore, completing only 11 of 28 passes for 115 yards and two interceptions in perhaps his worst game all season.

“That’s what games are going to be in December in the NFL,” Flacco said.
Now he’ll find out what these games are like in January. He hopes the experience isn’t as deflating as it was to Roethlisberger four years ago.

If it is, the Steelers may discover again what it’s like to win a conference championship game on their home field, something they’ve done only once in 29 years.

“I’m going to my fourth championship game,” Ward said. “I’m 0-2 at home. So I want to win this one — I’m tired of losing at home.”

A couple of million Pittsburghers probably feel the same way.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
coldsweat
Water Boy

Member Number: 11667
Default Re: Steelers ‘tired of losing at home’ in title games

I think the difference with Tomlin's team to Cowher's team is that we now play 60 minutes worth of football.

I also noticed if Pitt scores on their first drive, They dont score much. It is their second drive that if they score we usually win.
coldsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Pittsburgh 0-2 in hosting championship game?

If they would have written at Heinz Field in that, they'd be accurate. But under Cowher at home they did beat the Colts at TRS to go to Super Bowl XXX.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

Tomlin has shattered a lot of "jynxes". It is a new era with Tomlin and I am excited that he is going to set a new precedent. He is a great coach and this is a great team. Lookin g forward to Sunday where we get one step closer to setting the ultimate precedent.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

There is a new sheriff in town named Tomlin and he has done a great job getting rid of bad habits and after Sunday he will get rid of another. Losing Division Championship games at home. Before last Sunday the Steelers have never beaten the Chargers in the playoffs.

scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Compare those teams that lost at home and you will see major flaws in major areas. This team to me is light years above them all. 94 97 01 04. Qb play killed us in 3 of em and special teams in the other. I dont see it in this matchup. First team to 10 may win this game.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

I was at the 2002 championship game.....Troy Brown killed us.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote