Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,907 Times in 956 Posts
Default Re: Max Starks.

Starks has been average to mediocre his entire career with the Steelers. He lost his starting RT spot last season and still could not win it this season.

If you remember the preseason game against Buffalo when Leftwich was sacked and fumbled, it was Starks that got beat badly by Bills rookie Chris Ellis. He actually got beat to the outside and when he rushed to catch up, Ellis cut back inside to demolish Leftwich.

If Starks gets a big contract, my fear is that he will again lose focus and interest in his game. He will then be the same old Max Starks, backup OT. Right now he is playing for his next contract in 2009 and I honestly hope its not here.

Kind of the Kendall Simmons syndrome. Play great in your contract year, then follow it up by playing average or below.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Stillers33
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6205

i think we should keep him because he had a good season takin over for smith, but lets talk about this in 3 weeks when we have the lombardi! (knock on wood)

All thanks go to my dad for turnig me on to football!
Fan since 2001!
Stillers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604

This weekend will be a better test to see if our line has really come together or not. Yes they played great against a weak Brownie and Chargirl D line's, let's see if they can handle the Ravens and open the same holes for Parker this weekend. All I know is that our first 4 draft picks better be offensive lineman.
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Starks is OK

Why settle for "OK"? We need a real LT there, not a slow tree that earns almost as much as our QB, which he fails to protect at times.

San diego has no pass rusher, especially on the left side. But still, good job by the big guy

They'll still draft that LT next season. Starks will get a backup contract somewhere
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Starks?

We can do better in the draft.

Seriously.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,907 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Starks is OK

Why settle for "OK"?
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I'll take Starks if we don't have to pay him a fortune and/or we can't find anyone better, but otherwise he doesn't make any sense to keep. I'm just wondering if they'll view RT and DL as more urgent needs and keep Starks by default, because they're willing to settle for OK after all they spent on more pressing problems.

I honestly think they'll try to address RT first, because then maybe we get a 2-for-1 if Colon turns out to be any good as a guard.

Smith? He was gone anyway no matter how Starks played. In fact, we've pretty much been playing without him for two years already, so it shouldn't even affect us. I worry about his future, though; a chronically bad back is not good to have if you're a lineman on the wrong side of 30.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #18
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Torture!
LOL...it wasn't this year.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Starks has been average to mediocre his entire career with the Steelers. He lost his starting RT spot last season and still could not win it this season.

If you remember the preseason game against Buffalo when Leftwich was sacked and fumbled, it was Starks that got beat badly by Bills rookie Chris Ellis. He actually got beat to the outside and when he rushed to catch up, Ellis cut back inside to demolish Leftwich.

If Starks gets a big contract, my fear is that he will again lose focus and interest in his game. He will then be the same old Max Starks, backup OT. Right now he is playing for his next contract in 2009 and I honestly hope its not here.

Kind of the Kendall Simmons syndrome. Play great in your contract year, then follow it up by playing average or below.
Your basing your analysis on a preseason game? In comparison, our defense sucked in that game. As a matter of fact, the entire starting unit was bad that night. Now look where we are.

Kendall Simmons is terrible and never performed as good as Starks has this year. Simmons was also a panic move by the Steelers because they knew they were losing Faneca. Starks won't be a panic move. He has performed solidly this year and has earned a big payday.

Honestly, there is no reason to believe that Starks will get lazy. He was solid at the end of last season and has been solid all year long.

There has been absolutely no dropoff from Smith to Starks. If anything, Starks is an upgrade.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
What is with the improvement? Was he playing out of position at RT or something?
I suspect he was out of position until he was moved to the left side. Why? Max is left handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Starks
I had a right-handed glove and I was left-handed. I would catch it with my left, take off my glove and throw it.
Source: http://news.steelers.com/article/93684/

Max is now able to swat, push, etc. with his left side exposed to the pass rush better than when he was playing RT. It's just like throwing a baseball. Your going to have more power with your better arm.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote