Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #21
Iron Gut
Water Boy

Member Number: 10342
Default Re: Max Starks.

Starks has been the best of a pretty crappy group. That said, If he is willing to sign for a reasonable contract, I'd much rather keep him than the T-rex armed speedbump known as Willie Colon.

Yes, we need to draft a stud LT for the future. Then again, we need 2 guards or maybe a guard and a center. This team is in the AFCCG inspite of this awful unit. However, the only 2 players on it that have been serviceable are Starks and Hartwig.
Iron Gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #22
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i wouldnt mind to keep him, but what about hills is he gonna end up RT or LT? Is Doug Legursky or Jason Capizzi gonna step up? or even Trai Essex ? Or are they all just depth? will simmons take his spot back at RG next year? Are there better lineman waiting to be drafted? Just wondering where we are heading on the Oline. I honestly havent followed college ball all that much the past few years.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

This was an hilarious story from that interview with Starks.
Quote:
When did you first play organized sports?
I was six-years old and went to a small Catholic school and played soccer. I was in the first grade and they told my mom I should go out for soccer. I was like, yeah, Iíll do it. My best friend and little brother were on the team too. They put me in as goalie and I had to wear this yellow uniform and it was a great color jersey, but bees like gold and they thought I was honey. The first game we played I am at goalie and no balls are coming my way. All of a sudden three bees are coming at me and I run out of the goalies net. The one kid that can semi-kick the ball is coming down the field slow as heck and I am nowhere to be found. I am running behind the goal, the bees are chasing me and I am screaming. Luckily the kid didnít score. He hit the corner of the goal post. They took me out as goalie and put me in as a defenseman after that.

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #24
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,916 Times in 1,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66 View Post
I suspect he was out of position until he was moved to the left side. Why? Max is left handed.

Source: http://news.steelers.com/article/93684/

Max is now able to swat, push, etc. with his left side exposed to the pass rush better than when he was playing RT. It's just like throwing a baseball. Your going to have more power with your better arm.
so EVERY left tackle is left handed?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Gut View Post

Starks...for a reasonable contract, I'd much rather keep him than the T-rex armed speedbump known as Willie Colon.
T-rex armed speedbump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to keep Starks if the price is right. Our line sucks and I doubt we can replace everyone and greatly improve in just one year.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Your basing your analysis on a preseason game?

Honestly, there is no reason to believe that Starks will get lazy. He was solid at the end of last season and has been solid all year long.

I'm basing my analysis on Starks history since he was at Florida, he was categorized as lazy there and in his 5 years in the NFL he was given the starting RT job when Oliver Ross left and then lost it to Willie Colon for the past 2 seasons.

I would expect a 5 year guy to at least improved his technique to the point where he learns how to kick slide. Ask yourself this........was he playing for a contract last year? Is he playing for a contract this year?? What happens when that motivation is gone.

Here is his scouting report as a 2004 draft prospect. I dont see much that has changed since.
The late Joel Buchbaum used to use the term "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." That description describes Max Starks to a tee. At 6-7, 350 pounds, Starks has great size, very good strength, and nice athleticism. He is the physical ideal at the OT position and often wins battles because of those tools. Despite all the talent in the world, Max Starks rarely dominates his opponent. He is only an average run defender who could be much better with added intensity. He is a lazy pass protector who comes out of his stance high, lunges at the defender, and does not use angles well. It is unfortunate; because he can be effective in pass protection when he uses his long arms and athleticism to ride the ends wide. In the end, the Chargers may be a good place for him. Hudson Houck has proven that he can get a lot out of players with talent. If someone can light a fire under Starks, they will have the 2nd best OT from this draft. If not, he will continue to disappoint." -

http://oak.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=250647
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #27
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Despite all the talent in the world, Max Starks rarely dominates his opponent. He is only an average run defender who could be much better with added intensity. He is a lazy pass protector who comes out of his stance high, lunges at the defender, and does not use angles well. It is unfortunate; because he can be effective in pass protection when he uses his long arms and athleticism to ride the ends wide. In the end, the Chargers may be a good place for him. Hudson Houck has proven that he can get a lot out of players with talent. If someone can light a fire under Starks, they will have the 2nd best OT from this draft. If not, he will continue to disappoint." [/B]
Yeah, you would think that with 5 years of NFL coaching and playing next to All-Pros, you wouldn't be making many technical mistakes like that. It's not like you automatically stop learning the game once you finish college.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #28
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66 View Post
Max is now able to swat, push, etc. with his left side exposed to the pass rush better than when he was playing RT. It's just like throwing a baseball. Your going to have more power with your better arm.
Forget his arms. His weak point is feet. I still think he is serviceable, but is it just me or shouldn't someone left handed slide faster to their right, like a right tackle would? I am righty and I can slide-step to my left (like a LT) much faster and smoother than to my right.
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give It To Abercrombie View Post
but is it just me or shouldn't someone left handed slide faster to their right, like a right tackle would? I am righty and I can slide-step to my left (like a LT) much faster and smoother than to my right.
What foot do you kick with ?? If you are right foot dominant then its easier for you to kick step back and to the right. If you can kick step with your left foot backwards at basically at a 45 degree angle from straight back, then you probably have decent agility.

Take a look at this video and watch the kid with a medicine ball do a short kick step as he picks it up and throws it back.

Basically, the O lineman should do 2 of those. A double tap if you will.....to prepare and set in pass protection. Smith does it perfectly. Starks just sides steps and doesnt keep a good base, nor get any depth.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What foot do you kick with ?? If you are right foot dominant then its easier for you to kick step back and to the right. If you can kick step with your left foot backwards at basically at a 45 degree angle from straight back, then you probably have decent agility.

Take a look at this video and watch the kid with a medicine ball do a short kick step as he picks it up and throws it back.

Basically, the O lineman should do 2 of those. A double tap if you will.....to prepare and set in pass protection. Smith does it perfectly. Starks just sides steps and doesnt keep a good base, nor get any depth.
I kick with my right. I have tons more power with my right. But I have a lot more speed and agility with my left. Maybe it is just me. Plus once I am moving it's easier to continue to push off with power and subsequently speed if I am pushing with my right foot and moving to my left. The way I see it, the power comes from the right leg, the left just needs to get the hell where it's supposed to be quickly. I played ball in HS but not enough or with good enough coaching to know if I was doing everything right....
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote