Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' 'Garbage men' prove they're no longer a 'weak link'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we need to replace the entire line with these-

or these......
[IMG][/IMG]

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

If the gameplan for most of the season was like the last 2 games....line up and run at the defense, then mix in some passes. There would be less pass attempts, more running yards, more worn out defensive lines and more traditional Steeler football. These guys are better run blockers than pass protectors, but our coaching staff played to the coaches strengths, not the players strengths.
did you see this from tomlins presser?

Quote:
What do you attribute to the improved play of the offensive line?
I accept responsibility for everything that goes on here, particularly when things are not good. That comes with my job. We’ve performed better as an offense because we block people and ran the football. Everybody wants to zero in on our offensive line as a source of why we play well or why don’t play well. We’ve got 11 guys on offense, we’ve got 53 guys on our football team. We play to win. We did enough to win last Sunday and we tend to leave it at that and let our performance speak for its self.
i guess it takes some reading inbetween the lines, but it definitely appears he told arians to get his act together.

i also have heard several nfl radio talking heads say that tomlin told ben he better start taking care of the ball if he wants to be the quarterback.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i think we should all take bets on at what time during the game does colon get his first penalty.. my pick is at the 7:22 mark of the 2nd quarter.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i think we should all take bets on at what time during the game does colon get his first penalty.. my pick is at the 7:22 mark of the 2nd quarter.
Ill go with second drive of the game as soon as we enter the Ravens side of the field. Time undetermined
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784

Colon penalties (particularly when we've made a good gain) are a bit of a sore point for me. Maybe it's my imagination, but I could swear he's starting to improve in that respect, so that's good. Anyway, I'm hoping he'll hold out on getting a penalty til late 3rd qtr. Say.....3:55 left. And only once in the game.
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeg View Post
Colon penalties (particularly when we've made a good gain) are a bit of a sore point for me. Maybe it's my imagination, but I could swear he's starting to improve in that respect, so that's good. Anyway, I'm hoping he'll hold out on getting a penalty til late 3rd qtr. Say.....3:55 left. And only once in the game.
no he's not....he kills at least 1 drive everygame with a penalty...it's a given...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Colon gets no respect from me. He is the worst of the worst and he is the only one left from last year. His position BETTER BE REPLACED in the offseason because he is the weakest link. We need a RG and a C in this draft big time. The C could be a center in training. I think Kemo has room to improve but he is not bad. Starks can hold his own. Colon and Simmons are the ones who open the floodgates and end up with the drive killing penalties (COLON) I hope they are able to find someone to replace that piece of garbage.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #18
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

It would seem as soon as we get into some kind of rhythm offensively he has a back breaking penalty.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Colon gets no respect from me. He is the worst of the worst and he is the only one left from last year. His position BETTER BE REPLACED in the offseason because he is the weakest link. We need a RG and a C in this draft big time. The C could be a center in training. I think Kemo has room to improve but he is not bad. Starks can hold his own. Colon and Simmons are the ones who open the floodgates and end up with the drive killing penalties (COLON) I hope they are able to find someone to replace that piece of garbage.
No, that would actually be stapleton

And believe me, colon will be here next season. Not 100% sure if as a starter, but he'll be here

Just change the man to guard!!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson

If the gameplan for most of the season was like the last 2 games....line up and run at the defense, then mix in some passes. There would be less pass attempts, more running yards, more worn out defensive lines and more traditional Steeler football. These guys are better run blockers than pass protectors, but our coaching staff played to the coaches strengths, not the players strengths.

did you see this from tomlins presser?

Quote:
What do you attribute to the improved play of the offensive line?
I accept responsibility for everything that goes on here, particularly when things are not good. That comes with my job. We’ve performed better as an offense because we block people and ran the football. Everybody wants to zero in on our offensive line as a source of why we play well or why don’t play well. We’ve got 11 guys on offense, we’ve got 53 guys on our football team. We play to win. We did enough to win last Sunday and we tend to leave it at that and let our performance speak for its self.

i guess it takes some reading inbetween the lines, but it definitely appears he told arians to get his act together.

i also have heard several nfl radio talking heads say that tomlin told ben he better start taking care of the ball if he wants to be the quarterback.

Great post Jackson and Tony. I completely agree with both of you. I'm sold on my belief that Tomlin took Arians behind closed doors and "had a talk with him". The "new look running plays" as well as the PLAY CALLING, have been great the past 2 games.

Sure, the offensive line play has improved a bit over the past month but the biggest improvement has been the play calling including the ELIMINATION of certain play calls out of a particular formation, dare I say the singleback set? Those offensive spread plays seemed to be doomed from the word HIKE!

As many Steelers fans pointed their fingers at the offensive line, giving them a Kings share of the blame for the Steelers offensive woes, I firmly believed that Arians was the culprit due to his play designs and play calling.

I mean hell, who else is there to blame? An offensive line that has been called "Turnstiles" and "the worst offensive line in Steelers history" by some, sure as hell couldn't get their act together in a months time, could they??? $hit NO they couldn't, not if they were as bad as some fans have indicated.

The turnaround is simple, Tomlin took Arians aside and TOLD him how he wanted his offense coordinated. Since then we've seen more I-Formation plays then we saw all season. We no longer see the Steelers passing out of spread formations during 3rd and short situations. We no longer see the Steelers trying to punch it from the 2 yard line by use of the singleback formation. We no longer see the Steelers attempting to S T R E T C H nearly every freaking run play beyond the hash marks prior to the RB cutting it upfield. The Steelers are currently running the ball right at the defensive line, SMASH MOUTH STYLE, and I LIKE IT!

Smart-situational play calling is all that I wanted out of Arians. It looks as if someone FINALLY got through to him.

Last edited by Steelers & I; 01-15-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote