Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Aggressive Tomlin sets tone for Steelers

Aggressive Tomlin sets tone for Steelers
AFC Championship: Steelers vs. Ravens
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin shakes hands with fans as he leaves the field after the Steelers win over San Diego in the first playoff game.

Mike Tomlin described himself as being aggressive Sunday, even if his name did not appear among the Steelers' tackle statistics from the playoff game.

He went for it on fourth down at the San Diego 1, and that failed. He called for a fake punt that lost 4 yards. He called for a deep pass into the end zone from backup quarterback Byron Leftwich on third down with the Steelers ahead by 18, on his 34, with three minutes left and the Chargers out of timeouts. Limas Sweed dropped it, and the Steelers lost a chance to run off at least 40 seconds.

Five plays later, the Chargers scored a touchdown to cut the lead to 11 with 1:57 left. They let Tomlin off the hook when their onside kickoff try went out of bounds. Leftwich took a knee on three consecutive plays with no more deep passes to run out the clock on the Steelers' 35-24 victory.

If Tomlin makes similar "aggressive" decisions Sunday against Baltimore in the AFC championship game, it could cost his team a trip to the Super Bowl. It also could help put his team into it. The thinking may be unconventional, but there's no rule it cannot work.

"I had no second-guesses whatsoever," Tomlin said.

Tomlin has evolved as a coach in his second season. He is more animated on the sideline, he has made better decisions and he's more guarded with information during his weekly news conferences (Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll once remarked after one of his own news conferences that it was a success because "no information was passed.").

Tomlin might go for it on fourth down too often to suit more conservative tastes. The Steelers had a remarkable lack of success on fourth down this season; they were 3 of 12 in the regular season, a 25 percent rate of success that ranked last in the league by a wide margin. Next to last was Carolina at 37.8 percent. More than half the teams (17) converted at least half their fourth-down plays.

The Steelers added to their woeful rate by going 0 for 2 on fourth downs Sunday.

Tomlin was asked yesterday if he debated such choices or if he always leans toward being the aggressor.

"There is a debate, and, no, I don't always go on the side of aggression. Specifically, about last Sunday, I thought our opponent had momentum. They had the momentum that was required for them to get into the playoffs. They won a game against a football team that was extremely hot, as hot as any team in football, the Indianapolis Colts.

"We were coming off a bye. I wanted to get our guys going and let them know that we were playing and playing to win. I wanted them to have that same kind of momentum and energy that our opponent had and that's why I chose to take the approach that I took on some of the decisions I made in that football game, particularly in the first half."

It likely is safe to say he would not go for a 2-point conversion early in the fourth quarter after a penalty moved the ball back to the 12 as he did against Jacksonville in the two-point playoff loss a year ago.

And he has become more judicious in another area -- throwing the red challenge flag. Last season, Tomlin used that red flag as if it were a disposable coffee cup. He tossed it seven times and had the call reversed twice. This regular season, he was a perfect 4 for 4 and made it 5 for 5 on his first challenge Sunday. He later lost a challenge, though, when he disputed an incomplete San Diego pass -- he thought Ike Taylor intercepted it -- with about 2 1/2 minutes left and his team ahead by 18.

Tomlin has acknowledged his improvement as a coach from his rookie season to this one.

"I've got too many examples to pick one," he said last week. "It's no big revelation that I'm a better coach this year. I'd better be better next year. It's not always displayed in the win-loss record. I think regardless of what you do for a living, you've got to get better. And that's every day. I know when I walk through those doors, that's my intent every day. So I'm not making a bigger deal out of it than what it is. I'm just better because I am."

The idea that some of his players believe he is a better coach a year later elicited a different response.

"I'm not interested in evaluating my performance and, particularly, I'm not interested in my players' evaluation of my performance." Tomlin said to a reporter at his news conference yesterday. "I'm paid to evaluate them."

Pause.

"How's your editor doing?"

Sometimes, he's even the aggressor off the field.

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.
First published on January 14, 2009 at 12:00 am
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Aggressive Tomlin sets tone for Steelers

I want to see Tomlin continuing to be aggressive, but no question he will have to pick his spots this Sunday. Forget the playing not to lose theory. Stay aggressive and kick the Rats butts.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
The idea that some of his players believe he is a better coach a year later elicited a different response.

"I'm not interested in evaluating my performance and, particularly, I'm not interested in my players' evaluation of my performance." Tomlin said to a reporter at his news conference yesterday. "I'm paid to evaluate them."

Pause.

"How's your editor doing?"

Sometimes, he's even the aggressor off the field.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

We're going to have to control this game early.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i have all the faith in the world in coach tomlin. he will make sure we do everything to win.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

I will say this. When Tomlin was hired I wasn't sure if he was the right man for the job as Steelers HC.

He has impressed me greatly. I like a tough-talking coach that isn't afraid to play against conventional wisdom. No matter what happens Sunday or in the SB if the Steelers make it, I think you have a winner in a head coach.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 11049

I like the quote it said about him and the media. Just like Chuck Noll said that success comes from keeping information to yourself. IMO I think that Tomlin hadles the media better then Cowher did. I know he has been our coach for 2 years but it seems like he such a cool demeanor .
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
I will say this. When Tomlin was hired I wasn't sure if he was the right man for the job as Steelers HC.

He has impressed me greatly. I like a tough-talking coach that isn't afraid to play against conventional wisdom. No matter what happens Sunday or in the SB if the Steelers make it, I think you have a winner in a head coach.
I'd have to say the same about your guys coach. I really like him, and if we didn't have Tomlin he's the coach I feel that I'd want for my team.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

I am SO glad the Ravens didn't hire a coach like Wade Phillips.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Tomlin was so mad at the press conference when they mentioned that players thought he was a better head coach this year.

He has such a volcano under his skin that you just sit there and wait for it to explode one day.

On the sidelines, he's all calm and what not, but I wonder if he doesn't just completely lose it sometimes in the locker room.