Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #21
Interceptor
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 958
Default Re: Chink in Bungles armor

I have a bad feeling about the Bengals' chances in the playoffs. They have the firepower on offense. You have to give them that. However, the defense just suxbigmoosekok.

Front line:
They don't have the bulk up front to go to a 3-4. They don't seem to get enough pressure with their 4-man line. They need a huge NT and/or a dominant DE.

Linebackers:
If that's how they tackle, they might as well be playing touch or flag flootball.

Corners:
Pro-bowlers, so we are set.

Safeties:
We are hurting.

There is no quick-fix for this. The games will end up in a shoot-out and they will lose at the very end when the defense has to make a stand. Don't get me wrong, I'm still rooting for them, but there are things that has to be looked at objectively in order to improve. With a loss against KC, we have a better chance getting past the 1st round. But that's not they way to win a championship.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #22
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

The bengals are still a work in progress... they went back to back 8-8 seasons then went on a roll this year.. They are vastly improved for sure, give them that. But they are still a year maybe 2 away from really being dominant and heading into the post season.

Next year they will have a tougher schedule so we'll see how they do, but you know marvin lewis is gonna focus on run stopping defense this offseason.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #23
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Let's break it down:

Offense: Has all the players it needs...simply needs a little more time and continuity to become one of the most potent offenses in recent league history.

Defense: Need an above average SS, a huge DT, a dominant DE....the corners and linebackers are all very talented, so is Madieu Williams at FS (out for this season) and Justin Smith at DE. More than anything, the Bengals need a better defensive line and time for their young defensive players to develop.

The Bengals could make a run relying on their offense...but at some point the D needs to start making plays (if only forcing a bunch of turnovers).
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:41 AM   #24
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

The colts found out the hard way the last few years what happens when you have no defense in the playoffs.. you get to the end and get trounced... Gotta sure up that D and you guys can be something special.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 AM   #25
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

The Bengals are over-rated in terms of their current record.

Everyone knows that they beat up on the weak teams but then have a harder time staying with the big boys (granted they beat the Steelers in their house).

The Bengals have a potent offense, and I see Palmer, Brady and Manning going head-2-head for years in the battle for best QB stats (no Ben due to the Pittsburgh run-first policy) - but it is their D that is the weakness.

They do have some nice players - Odell Thurman, Madieu etc are decent players already and will improve but they still have a lightweight reputation for making tackles when it counts.

Everyone knows that playoff time is when the D becomes the most important unit on the team - which doesnt favor Cincy...having said that...it doesnt favor the Colts either - they are too lightweight - especially if they lose Corey Simon as their one decent run stuffer.

Marv Lewis looks like one of the best of the new generation of coaches so I think Cincy will continue to improve for the next few years.

I think the playoffs will come a year to early for the Bengals - but they will be a very big threat next year and for a while after that.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #26
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

The Only Good Team the Bengals beat were the Steelers. They're not gonna do it in the Playoffs. Please if you Bengals Fans Can Answer this Question How Many Players knows what it takes to win the post season............................................ ..........EXACTLY They have no one with Playoff expierence. Well After this year they will. But for now they don't

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #27
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

I never said they were going to win and go to the super bowl I just state the facts which is they are the AFCN champs, no matter how they made it there they got it......... They are going to be like the Colts, only getting so far to lose bc of the defense, but that will change in a year or 2.
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #28
SteelCurtain
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalsfan21
No what is ludicrous is how many Steeler fans (and only Steeler fans) say Ben is a much better QB then Palmer stats don't lie my friend and they never will.
As for my sig and avatar it's put up as a joke, and those who know me (does not include you) know that.
I have never said that Ben is a much better QB then Palmer, nor will I. Everytime someone brings up Palmer I praise him. He is a remarkable QB and I feel Ben is too. Why is it that everyone in the league, other than Steelers fans and a very select few others, put Ben down. He has done things that no other rookie QB's have ever done and will continue to make a huge impact. Give him what he has earned, respect. I give Palmer respect, becuase he has earned it. They are both great young QBs that will make huge impacts on the game. As for the stats, you are right they don't lie. But you must take into consideration different styles of how the game is played. If your beloved Palmer played for the Steelers he wouldn't be putting up the numbers that he is now with Cincinnati. If Ben was playing for Cincinnati he would have much better passing statistics, not saying they would be as good as Palmer's and not saying they wouldn't be. We'll never know. Learn to see past your nose and not let your bias opinion blind you.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #29
Steelerbabe28
Water Boy

Member Number: 964

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Kelly Holcomb is the real deal.. He put up something like 400 yds against us a few years back.

We're the bengals prime for a let down? or maybe just dont have that killer instinct built into them just yet.

LMAO were you saying that when he was in Cleveland? I know Buffalo fans and Browns fans that would laugh at someone calling Holcomb the real deal.Anybody more immobile then Tommy Maddox will never be the real deal. He got lucky against us when he threw for 400. Cowher didnt have any film on Holcomb at look what he did to his sorry butt when he did have film on him.
Steelerbabe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:02 PM   #30
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

The Bengals like everyone else will probably have to take it one step at a time. Make the playoffs this year is a couple steps up! Now you have to maintain, and stay healthy in the season to come! Like we all do!