Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: T.O. & Ocho Cinco... Big Names to move for next year?

I can see TO getting released.

In the long run, it would be best. He's a cancer and the only way to get rid of the cancer it to cut him out, no matter the cost.

Now personally, I hope they keep him. I hate the Cowboys and I love seeing the turmoil.

As for CHad Johnson, he's staying in Cinci. If they were going to dump him, they would have traded him to the Redskins last season when they were being offered a first and conditional second round pick from the Redskins.

No way they get an offer anywhere near that this offseason. And they are probally going to lose TJ in free agency, so I doubt they would wanna lose both TJ and CJ in the same offseason, especially with Palmer coming back next season.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #22
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

As stubborn as Jethro is, I CAN say that he WILL listen to his son Stephen(who's been the voice of reason in this organization). There were FAs/draft picks that were the apple of Jerrah's eye, but Stephen was able to convince him otherwise.(can't think of them off the top of my head, but they would have been disasters)

With that being said-I feel Stephen will ultimately be able to convince his father, and look for TO to be a Redskin next year.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #23
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Is it me or does it seem that BSPN has been dumping gas on the 5 alarm blaze that is the Cowboys all year??

I couldn't help but laugh when they referred to Romo's broken finger as the "pinkie" for about a month. They seemed to take a lot of pleasure in every story about Pacman this and TO that, Jerry Jones calling out Barber for not playing hurt blah blah blah. And now the notorious "Source inside the organaization" that claims they want to dump TO.

I'm not complaining, I think its funny as hell. I'm just glad they're not going out of thier way to stir up trouble for the Stillers.
Its not just you rbryan. ESPN have been all over this all year IMO ( once tom brady went down they needed a new knob to chew on for the season) . To me they seem like they have a few cans of petrol labelled
* Dallas Cowboys
* Terrell Owens
* Adam Pacman Jones
and they love to pour it on when things are quiet. Yes they warrant heat at times but some inflaming sure seems to go on as well.

What has also been interesting IMO has been
* Patrick Crayton and his willingness to publicly defend T.O.
* ESPN's reluctance to put the heat fairly and squarely on Romo for his uncanny ability to choke in the big games. Instead it is always a chemistry issue.
* the free pass that some criminals seem to get from other organisations whilst bad locker room guys in Dallas get grilled.

ITs not just ESPN though

Quote:
No substance, no heart ... these are the real Cowboys
By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist

IRVING, Texas -- If only this one could be blamed on Terrell Owens. If only. Because that's an argument I would love to make. See, the more I think about it, the more I think I hate T.O. Not dislike him. Hate him.

But this one wasn't Terrell Owens' fault. Not entirely. Not even mostly. Owens gets some blame for the Dallas Cowboys' most pathetic performance of the season, because he is at his heart and soul a loser, and his impotence rubs off on everyone around him. But Owens was just one cog in this coughing, wheezing machine Saturday night that saw the Cowboys close out Texas Stadium with a disgraceful 33-24 loss to the Ravens.
And the truth is, Owens started this mess Saturday night. He has whined and bitched and pointed fingers and turned his quarterback, Tony Romo, into a basket case. Romo was so concerned with throwing the ball to Owens that he again forced balls where they had no business going, resulting in an interception and a near-interception and several incompletions

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sport...11184523.shtml
I am really glad that more players are not treated this way and thankful that Steelers players are treated in this manner. Publicly stating that you hate someone so you can get a story out there is pretty sad.

It happens exactly the same way down here with our football codes. One rugby league club recently sacked a player for assaulting his fiancee and banned him from playing in Australian for all of 2009 but he was replaced with a player who was sacked from another club for assaulting a girl at a night club. Double standards and hypocrisy.

I know my observations will rile some fans here but they are my honest opinions.
I am not a Dallas fan - never will be. I am just tired with how the media hounds some and gives others free passes.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

The Cowboys' biggest problem? It's ultimately not the coaches or the players. IMO, it starts and ends with the megalomaniacal owner and it bleeds down through the rest of the organization.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
As stubborn as Jethro is, I CAN say that he WILL listen to his son Stephen(who's been the voice of reason in this organization). There were FAs/draft picks that were the apple of Jerrah's eye, but Stephen was able to convince him otherwise.(can't think of them off the top of my head, but they would have been disasters)

With that being said-I feel Stephen will ultimately be able to convince his father, and look for TO to be a Redskin next year.
you really think they'll eat the 10,000,000 cap hit ? if jones was going to listen to his boy, why didn't he listen to him BEFORE , he broke the bank on him? to cut T.O. would be admitting he's wrong.....jones just don't strike me as someone who's big enough a person to do that.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

One cannot argue that T.O. has been a great player in his time however. Grant it he could have been even better statistically if he held onto the ball a lot more, but he is a terrific athlete nonetheless. I love how some people like that sportswriter find a way to warrant a connection being made with a guy who they see on TV once a week. Anyone ever think that these guys know they're getting negative attention and it wears off on them so they just mold to what's expected ot them (excluding pacman because he's just plain and simply a convict anyways). You know, they're like that kid in class who smarts off to the teacher just to keep up his image of what everyone expects.???

If TO'd go to Seattle, who would he really have to argue with there other than to the media about how miserable the weather is?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #27
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
One cannot argue that T.O. has been a great player in his time however. Grant it he could have been even better statistically if he held onto the ball a lot more, but he is a terrific athlete nonetheless. I love how some people like that sportswriter find a way to warrant a connection being made with a guy who they see on TV once a week. Anyone ever think that these guys know they're getting negative attention and it wears off on them so they just mold to what's expected ot them (excluding pacman because he's just plain and simply a convict anyways). You know, they're like that kid in class who smarts off to the teacher just to keep up his image of what everyone expects.???

If TO'd go to Seattle, who would he really have to argue with there other than to the media about how miserable the weather is?
we are talking about adults here....not children.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #28
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
we are talking about adults here....not children.
I'm just saying, look at Deion Sanders for example. Great athlete, but lived up to his 'Primetime' persona that he was dubbed. It got to him. Same with T.O. thas kind of media pressure gets to a person.

Anyways, my brother brought up Ladainian Tomlinson in discussion with me this evening after looking at this thread, saying he read on ESPN (go figure) that the Chargers may be looking to trade/release him. Any truth to that and if so, would a team be better off going after him or drafting somebody fresh like Lesean McCoy or Knowshon Moreno?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:51 AM   #29
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
I'm just saying, look at Deion Sanders for example. Great athlete, but lived up to his 'Primetime' persona that he was dubbed. It got to him. Same with T.O. thas kind of media pressure gets to a person.

Anyways, my brother brought up Ladainian Tomlinson in discussion with me this evening after looking at this thread, saying he read on ESPN (go figure) that the Chargers may be looking to trade/release him. Any truth to that and if so, would a team be better off going after him or drafting somebody fresh like Lesean McCoy or Knowshon Moreno?
i wouldn't put to much stock in anything espn reports.....most of its just speculation.....but anythings possable.....

8/14/2004: Signed an eight-year, $60 million contract. The deal includes $21 million in guarantees. 2008: $5.75 million, 2009: $6.725 million, 2010: $8 million, 2011: $9.275 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $8.97 million (2009).

Old 01-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #30
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Oh what the heck-might as well give my 2 cents here...

As much as I really disliked the TO signing here 3 years ago(w/o a doubt this was THE darkest day in Cowboys history, at least in my perspective)-he was only one of MANY problems we've had this year. He wasn't the sole problem, nor the root of any of the problems that spread to the rest of Valley Ranch. Here were some other things that really bit us this year...

1) Instead of a blood-and-sweat training camp, Jethro decided to put his team under the HOLLYWOOD spotlight w/ "Hard Knocks". It was as if all of the players and coaches were imagining themselves as Hollywood celebrities(it was also reported that throughout part of TC, everyone's wives and girlfriends were hanging out with the team as well). Pt being that it was here that they ended up losing their focus for the year, IMHO. All our offseason hype as Super Bowl favorites didn't help the players' psyches either.

2) W/o a doubt, inconsistent OL play all year. For an OL that's one of the highest paid in the league, they didn't play like it. You know the saying, "It all starts up front"...Romo just didn't have the same comfort in the pocket like last year.

3) The lack of discipline and accountability from Wade and the coaching staff...his laid back attitude ultimately lead to the downfall of this team. It worked last year largely b/c the players were fed up with Parcells' busting-balls style, but ultimately, Wade's style only went so far.

4) Not to make excuses for injuries, but after 2 straight years of being among the healthiest teams in the league, it FINALLY caught up to us. We played with a 3rd string LG most of the year, our LT Flo Adams was playing on one arm a good portion of the year, Newman was hobbled most of the year, we had to drag safeties off the street, our RBs were injured and were left with a 4th round rookie in the final sprint, etc. All I can say is that we had GOLDEN opportunities in '06 and '07 to make a splash, but we just screwed it away. No excuses.

5) If anything, I blame Pacman alot more than TO for his antics that brought us down this year-back in Oct when we were 4-1 and heading into a big NFC road game with the Cards, he had to act out and pull that stunt by getting into a scuffle with his bodyguard. What happened subsequently was nothing but loads of distractions for the entire team as they had to put up with the barrage of questions et al, instead of focusing on THE GAME...what you saw on the field against the Cards that day was nothing but a comedy of errors(TD returned on the opening kickoff, 3rd and 17 given up thanks to poor tackling when we finally had the momentum, and then that blocked punt in OT)...our injuries also piled up in this game(lost Felix and McBriar for the year, Romo for a month, and Spencer was slowed down as well). Yeah-aside from the suspension Pac got, he ultimately let the team down over the long haul. I always wonder how this game and our season would have turned out if he had behaved himself.

6) Jethro has a policy where the players get access through HIM, and NOT the HC. For example, after the humiliating Rams loss, Greg Ellis was so unhappy w/ his role on D, that he ended up complaining to Jerrah, so what did Jethro do? He went back to Wade to not only vouch for Ellis, but also strip Brian Stewart's playcalling away as well. Really-it's policies like this that allow guys like TO to act out any time they feel like it.

Anyhow-I know this is a long rant-but this pretty much sums up why TO ended up getting WAY too much flack over our underwhelming season. No-I will not deny that he's a loudmouth crybaby and a poison in the locker room, but to say the baggage he brings is the SOLE reason for the his teams' downfall is pretty extreme, especially given the above circumstances. With that being said though, I wouldn't mind parting ways at all b/c this team needs to start from scratch a bit.

MasterOfPuppets-it's been reported that pretty much everyone in the organization has been trying to get Jerry to cut ties w/ TO...it's not just Stephen, but the scouting department, as well as Garrett(who, by the way, has given him a "He-or-Me" ultimatum) has done the same. Yes-I know Jerry is stubborn, and is a media ***** to boot, but when faced with this much pressure, I think Jerry may blink. And assuming Garrett stays(some reports have said the Rams haven't offered him anything), he's pretty much Jerry's top priority. I know the cap hit is tremendous, but like I said above, it would be a good idea to regroup and start from scratch a bit.

As for giving Owens a 2nd contract like that, to be honest, TO fooled me too into thinking he was a changed man as well. Heck-prior to this season, I myself(along w/ most of the national media and football fans) were drinking the Super Bowl kool-aid, and thought we had to reload and finish what we didn't do in the '07 13-3 year.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote