Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default The SEC

Okay, I was "talking" (more like wanting to smash in the head with a brick) with a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks who lives near me.

He was spouting off how Ohio State, and the rest of the Big 10 for that matter fears the SEC and that's why they don't schedule Out Of Conference (OOC) games with SEC teams.

I responded that the problem isn't the Big 10, but it's the SEC schools not wanting to travel out of the south.

Ohio State will gladly play anyone OOC. They try to schedule at least one OOC game with someone where it'll be a challenge [Texas twice, Washington (were scheduled back when they were good), USC this year and next, Miami after that].

I have heard that they tried to get some home-and-home series (that's the only way they'll do it, the other school has to come to Columbus once) with a few SEC schools, but they all refused to do the game in Columbus.

I have noticed that the SEC teams rarley leave the south, and when they do they normally play in California/Nevada/Arizona where the weather is still nice. It seems they don't like to be away from the SEC fan base, and if they are they have to be gauranteed good weather...something you are not gauranteed in the north.

I would say the SEC is afraid of having to play too far out of SEC territory and that they are afraid of playing in elements other than sunshine.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456
Default Re: The SEC

Wow!!! Great point. Do they feel like they will lose for some reason in those conditions or is it that they are afraid even if it is against a team that sucks.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Alabama grew a set and will come north in 2011 to Happy Valley. Looks like Mr. Saban wants to see how the SEC Show does up North.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

not an SEC team..but I'm a bit of a Clemson fan, and I remember reading they were actually sorta excited to play up in Boise for the Smurf Turf Bowl because they'd be able to play in the snow.

Alabama-Penn State should be a classic.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

What...you mean Kentucky isn't far enough north for you? lol
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

You were correct Roeth. OSU requested home/away games with Florida, and the Gators told then in no uncertain terms that they would not play OSU in a home/away series. This was under Geiger as the AD. He would not disclose which other SEC schools also refused, but there were others. And OSU has no interest in playing any ooc teams other than top notch, top 25 talent, so it wasn't Vandy.

Tress was on Rome yesterday (although there was some guy filling for Jim). The guy asked Tressel point-blank why he schedules games that most coaches won't, and his answer was a classic. He said these kind of ooc home/away games are perfect because they create NC buzz early, are great big game experiences for the kids, definitely help with sos, and are great for the zillion and a half OSU alumni everywhere in the country. He pointed out in particular the OSU/USC game in week 3 this year. Will there be another game of anywhere near that magnitude played in September anywhere else? No effing way! It's brilliant and I love the fact that my Bucks policy is anyone, anywhere, anytime.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
You were correct Roeth. OSU requested home/away games with Florida, and the Gators told then in no uncertain terms that they would not play OSU in a home/away series. This was under Geiger as the AD. He would not disclose which other SEC schools also refused, but there were others. And OSU has no interest in playing any ooc teams other than top notch, top 25 talent, so it wasn't Vandy.

Tress was on Rome yesterday (although there was some guy filling for Jim). The guy asked Tressel point-blank why he schedules games that most coaches won't, and his answer was a classic. He said these kind of ooc home/away games are perfect because they create NC buzz early, are great big game experiences for the kids, definitely help with sos, and are great for the zillion and a half OSU alumni everywhere in the country. He pointed out in particular the OSU/USC game in week 3 this year. Will there be another game of anywhere near that magnitude played in September anywhere else? No effing way! It's brilliant and I love the fact that my Bucks policy is anyone, anywhere, anytime.
I love the fact that JT has no problem playing anyone because it shows that he's not afraid of potentially losing a shot at playing for the NC by losing that big game. It shows a tremendous faith in his players ability.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Why should superior teams set up away and home games? When Ohio state plays youngstown i never see them playing at YSU. If you want to play us come on down or does ohio state still have a bitter taste after the last two national championship games. get real the big ten blows. whats their record in BCS games? the big east won more bowl games than the big ten last year.

Sun Belt (1) Fla. Atlantic 1-0 1.000
MWC (5) AF,BYU,NM,TCU,Utah 4-1 .800
SEC (9) Ala,Ark,Aub,Fla,Ga,Ky,LSU,MissSt,Ten 7-2 .778
Pac-10 (6) ASU,Cal,Ore,OSU,UCLA,USC 4-2 .667
Big East (5) Cin,Rut,UConn,USF,WV 3-2 .600
Big 12 (8) CU,KU,Mis,OU,OSU,Tex,TexA&M,TT 5-3 .625
Big Ten (8) Ill,Ind,Mich,MichSt,OSU,PSU,Pur,Wis 3-5 .375
C-USA (6) EC,Hou,Mem,SMiss,Tul,UCF 2-4 .333
ACC (8) BC,Clem,FSU,GT,Mary,UVa.,VT,WF 2-6 .250
WAC (4) BSU,FresSt,Haw,Nev 1-3 .250
Independents (1) Navy 0-1 .000
MAC (3) BallSt,BG,CMich 0-3 .000
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i will copy another of post - but lets face i am a UGA fan. On our schedule we play the past two national champions a top 10 ASU program. when can we get OSU on our schedule? should we sneak them in between the back to back games between LSU and Florida. we are already playing the toughest schedule in the country this year.
last season OSU did not beat a team that finished in the AP Top 15. the big ten lacks a championship game further watering down their strenght of schedule. Since OSU failed to beat a top 15 team, THEY HAVE TO go out of conference to play quality competition.

Tennesee and OSU are in discussion about a home and away game. I think it may already be on the books.

We do play out conference games, we (uga) are going to play a top 10 Arizona State at Arizona State.

The biggest reason the Top SEC schools do not travel north to OSU or michigan is because we get all of the competition we need in our own conference. Once you throw in the confernce championship game its brutal. look at our schedule for 08. we have two cupcakes to start the season. Georgia southern is like playing youngstown state, then central michigan (MAC Champions). but then we get cooking playing at South Carolina, going to Arizona State, then Alabama at home, then Tennesee at home, at Vanderbilt (but dam they have played us really tough the past two seasons, beating us once), then to LSU (you guys at OSU have heard of them - we might get stuck playing them at night at home when the are pratically unbeatable), the very next week we play Florida(another team that demolished OSU), then we go to kentucky, then we go Auburn, then wrap it up with Gatech. IF we win our division we looking at a rematch with either alabama, auburn, or LSU.

So where do we schedule that OSU game. As of right now based on the preason top 25 - 50% of our games are agianst top 25 teams - We play 3 teams in the top 10 Florida, LSU, and Arizona State.

Sat, Aug 30 Georgia Southern Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Central Michigan Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 13 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. 3:30 p.m.
Sat, Sep 20 Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. 8:00 p.m. ABC
Sat, Sep 27 Alabama * Athens, Ga TBA
Sat, Oct 11 Tennessee * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Vanderbilt - Homecoming * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 25 LSU * at Baton Rouge, La. TBA
Sat, Nov 01 Florida * at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Kentucky * at Lexington, Ky. TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA
Sat, Nov 29 Georgia Tech Athens, Ga. TBA

The last two BCS title games cleary demostrated what happens when the two best teams from the SEC and big ten play each other. We simply kick their butts. You big ten guys are starting to sound like browns fan .

Last edited by atlsteelers; 07-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Bleep blop bloop. YSU is a favor...get over it. OSU has NEVER played a D1-AA team before, and they never will again. They also cannot control how tough the BIg Ten is year to year, and there were years when the Big Ten was the toughest conference in the country, and, guess what, there will be years again soon when it is again. It's all cyclical. So because OSU has tough ooc games scheduled for the next 14 years, do you think they will cancel them under the "SEC we already play too tough a schedule crybaby rule".

No, they won't.

Want to know why you should play a tough ooc schedule? So you don't end up like Auburn, playing Citadel and Coastal Carolina and going undefeated and missing the NC game. They deserved what they got, and it is their own fault (and the fault of any other SEC team hiding under the cover of how tough their in-conference schedule is) that they didn't have the resume to play in the big game. Also, what happens when the SEC has a down year (and they will have down years). Those games against Middle-Tennessee State and East Carolina don't look so sweet when Alabama is 5-7 and Tennessee is 6-6.

The facts are facts. OSU asked, and the teams pussed out and said no. You can type any excuse you like, but it will NEVER change the fact that there is no other program in all of D1 football that schedules tougher ooc games than OSU.

Finally, OSU was rebuilding last year. REBUILDING. They have 25 returning seniors this year, and 40 players who have been in the program for 4+ years. They will be a force to be reckoned with this year, regardless of blind hatred against them.