Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192
Default Post Declaration Mock

1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
Obvious selection here. With the young and upcoming stars on the Lions' offense already (Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson), Stafford would come in and add even more fire power.

2. St. Louis - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
It's a no-brainer that St. Louis was eyeing Jake Long last year, the Rams will have a chance to get the No. 1 tackle this year. Smith is a big, physical tackle who will immediately upgrade St. Louis' injury-plagued line.

3. Kansas City - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
After trading away Jared Allen, the Chiefs accounted for only 10 sacks, while Allen rung up 14 on the season. Aaron Curry is one of the top prospects in the draft who can bolster the Chiefs' struggling pass rush.

4. Seattle - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Seattle's passing game struggled last year, but that can be blamed on the injuries to the whole Seattle receiving corps. Crabtree is an amazing receiver and just too good to pass up here.

5. Cleveland - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Cleveland is an need of a playmaking cornerback to help out their defense. Malcolm Jenkins is a great pick, who will surely improve the Browns defense.

6. Cincinnati - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
With Carson Palmer coming back and Cedric Benson improving the running game, I can't see Cincinnati going in the direction of offense this year. Orakpo has all the skills to establish the Bengals' defense.

7. Oakland - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Could this be the year Al Davis smartens up and goes for need instead of value? Probably not, but I'll have it here until Jeremy Maclin funs a blazing 40-yard dash. Monroe would help out young quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

8. Jacksonville - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
Jacksonville's stellar season two years ago seems like it was ages ago seeing as how they played last year. The major problem was that the running game wasn't effective, so they were relying on Garrard to win games. Oher can solidify the rushing attack.

9. Green Bay - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
This may seem like a slight reach, but Maybin is a good prospect who will only rise higher. He can come in and add youth to an aging Green Bay defense.

10. San Francisco - Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
Everette Brown is a premier defensive end who can also transfer to outside linebacker. Singletary is looking to add some physicality to the defense, and Brown will fit right in.

11. Buffalo - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
If the draft were to pan out this way, Buffalo would indeed trade this selection. Otherwise, they'd have to take a major reach and grab Johnson. Michael Johnson has the potential, he just doesn't always show it.

12. Denver - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
Denver's defense is always the lowest part of their team. When haven't they been in the bottom tier of the defensive statistics. Maualuga is a powerful and physical linebacker who can fuel this team.

13. Washington - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Washington should be grateful that Smith fell to them, considering almost any team ahead of them could have used him. Smith can add depth to an aging offensive line, and help keep Jason Campbell off his back.

14. New Orleans - James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
Seeing as how Jonathan Vilma just got into trouble, I can't see New Orleans re-signing him. That'll mean they need to add another presence in the middle. Laurinaitis is a tough backer, who will give the Saints depth on defense.

15. Houston - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Houston will assumably just go with value over need here, which will mean another first-round defensive selection. Davis is a physical corner who can match up against playmaking receivers.

16. San Diego - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Where there's smoke, there's fire, and with the rumors of LaDainian Tomlinson being out of San Diego, there could be some possibiltiy to that. If so, San Diego needs to bring in another big-play back.

17. New York Jets - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
Who knows if Brett Favre is coming back. But even if he is, Sanchez could sit on the bench and learn from the veteran, getting ready to lead the Jets a year later. Sanchez has all the skills to be a franchise leader.

18. Chicago Bears - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
Chicago already has the fast, playmaking receiver in Devin Hester. What they need is a tall, physical receiver. That's where Heyward-Bey fits in. He could add more fire power to the offense, and give Kyle Orton another reliable target.

19. Tampa Bay - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
Tampa Bay's receiving corps is good, but also aging. Maclin is a fast, speedy playmaker, who would provide the 'stretch-the-field' aspect Tampa Bay needs. Just imagine the tandem of Antonio Bryant and Jeremy Maclin.

20. Detroit - Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
Detroit has already locked up their future at quarterback by selecting Stafford No. 1 overall. Now they need someone to protect him. Eben Britton and Gosder Cherilus could hopefully add some light to the 0-16 Detroit.

21. Arizona - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Edgerrin James wants out, and Tim Hightower is inconsistent. The Cardinals have never had a solid running game, and Knowshon Moreno is an explosive back back with great instincts.

22. Minnesota - D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
The Vikings are another team who needs an offensive lineman, but shouldn't try to reach on one. Minnesota is also in desperate need of a corner, and D.J. Moore is the best one in this spot. Moore will be another fast riser especially after the Combine.

23. New England - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
After losing Asante Samuel last offseason, New England failed to upgrade their secondary. They added corners like Fernando Bryant, who isn't even with the team anymore. Smith is a big and physical corner, they may be getting a great steal.

24. Atlanta - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
Atlanta's run defense has been the weakest part of their team, allowing Edgerrin James to run all over them. Raji is a big body who will stuff the middle and strengthen the defensive line.

25. Miami - Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
After losing Zach Thomas, the Dolphins need a skilled linebacker who can replace him. Cushing can learn from one of the best in the business, Joey Porter.

26. Baltimore - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
The Ravens' offense had a major turnaround with Joe Flacco as their signal caller. The receiving corps has been playing well, but adding a big target such as Britt, would make this offense scary.

27. Indianapolis - Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
The Colts' run defense has always been the biggest weakness, allowing teams to just completely dominate them on the ground. Adding Perri Jerry to the struggling defensive line would add a big run stuffer right in the middle, hopefully improving the Colts' run defense.

28. Philadelphia - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
Brian Westbrook was plagued with continuous injuries this past season, and who knows how long he can last. LeSean McCoy is an extremely tough runner who can give the Eagles' offense another powerful and explosive back.

29. New York Giants - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
After the Plaxico Burress situation, who knows whether he'll come back to New York or not. I'm assuming that he won't, which will leave a need for depth at the position. Harvin is an explosive and reliable target.

30. Tennessee - Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
This is a reach, but I just don't see any value at this pick for Tennessee. If they were really desperate for a receiver, they could reach on a prospect such as Hakeem Nicks as well. Butler gives them depth in the secondary.

31. Philadelphia - Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
Once again, another reach. But I just can't see Philadelphia going in any other direction here. Duke Robinson can help upgrade their line and pave holes for Brian Westbrook.

32. Pittsburgh - Alex Mack, C, California
Another year, another horrid offensive line for the Steelers. If they don't start protecting Ben Roethlisberger, he won't last too much longer. Pittsburgh needs to get some major pass protection on the line, and Alex Mack is a perfect fit for the Steelers.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Post Declaration Mock

i like mostly all of ur picks.. except for the brian cushing to the dolphins... first off i think that cushing is not a 1st rd pick talent wise.. and think def, the sec is more of a concern.. or they could go offensivly to get a wep

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,119 Times in 1,746 Posts

unless KC is going to a 3-4, i don't see how curry will help thier pass rush, unless they blitz every passing play....
philly is set to lose thier 2 starting tackles, i think they'd reach for a tackle , before a guard....

Quote:
After losing Zach Thomas, the Dolphins need a skilled linebacker
wasn't zack thomas an inside lb'er ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 01-17-2009 at 06:03 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I like it. Obviously you can't get every pick right or please everyone, but overall I'd say that's a fairly decent mock.

Some of the linebacker/DE selections here leave me scratching my head, as well as the seemingly large amount of corners taken in a pretty deep class of CBs. I also don't think Detroit is going to go Stafford with the first overall pick. And I would have to think someone grabs Gresham or Pettigrew at TE in the first, but like I said - you can't please everyone and we will only know come April.

Good job.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I like it. Obviously you can't get every pick right or please everyone, but overall I'd say that's a fairly decent mock.

Some of the linebacker/DE selections here leave me scratching my head, as well as the seemingly large amount of corners taken in a pretty deep class of CBs. I also don't think Detroit is going to go Stafford with the first overall pick. And I would have to think someone grabs Gresham or Pettigrew at TE in the first, but like I said - you can't please everyone and we will only know come April.

Good job.
Jermaine Gresham stayed in school.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big7BenHOF View Post
Jermaine Gresham stayed in school.
Really? I didn't hear that, thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I REALLY doubt the browns pick a CB at 5th

They have 2 very good young corners and have worse problems in their defense. DE or LB for them
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
unless KC is going to a 3-4, i don't see how curry will help thier pass rush, unless they blitz every passing play

it has came out that piolo will most likely turn the def into a 3-4.. but those are rumors, and u never know what will happen

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,119 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I REALLY doubt the browns pick a CB at 5th

They have 2 very good young corners and have worse problems in their defense. DE or LB for them
i wouldn't say "very good"....wright is ok , but macdonald? the other cb, could stand to be upgraded..... but none the less your right....willie mcginest is about 50, and if your gonna run the 3-4 , you have to have pass rushing olbers. ...a reciever sure as hell wouldn't hurt them none....if seattle don't snag crabtree.... i think the clowns would jump on him.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4943

[QUOTE=MasterOfPuppets;531120]unless KC is going to a 3-4, i don't see how curry will help thier pass rush, unless they blitz every passing play....[QUOTE=

KC is switching to a 3-4

“Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.”~Chuck Noll
SteelersTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote