Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default Are we more dangerous as a road team going into the playoffs?

Comparing our road record verses our recent lack of success at home and in the postseason, particularly in the Championship game?
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Are we more dangerous as a road team going into the playoffs?

The answer has to be no.

The fact is, you have repeatedly met a better team whilst playing at home in the playoffs - if you had played them games away from home you would have lost by more.

I cant imagine a scenario where a team performs better away from home rather than at home during the playoffs.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

they seem to feed off negative energy better. i can care less that we are playing away from home in the playoffs, ill just miss everyone waving their terrible towels around during the playoffs. what a sight....
Old 12-26-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

??? I am thinking yes, mostly because we have NO choice.

But we do feed off being the under dog! We have had problems before getting up for big playoff home games. And it seems like when we play a team like NE, last season , a team that we beat in the regular season, we don`t change our stratagy. This playoffs will be different, we lost to NE,IN, CIN,and JA so we will change from the first meetings! This is when we are at our best!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

yeah i think i like are chances better on the road this year. we'll still see the towels waving casue we are everywhere. and this year we are actually going in the right way, the bye week don't seem to help us much anyway so playing in the wildcard we'll keep us sharp throughout the playoffs.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I gotta think we are more dangerous now.. maybe not so much becuz of being on the road but because we are entering the post season, assuming we kick detroits ass, playing our best football. Defense has the swagger, OL is blocking as good as they have all year, Ben is getting healthier every week, Heath Miller is a force across the middle and in the red zone, Jeff Reed and the ST are playing well.

Would I rather be at home in Januray, of course, but we're on the road, we're a good road team and its us against the world.. So why not us ??
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Good topic... I gotta think we are more dangerous as a road team. They have played better on the road all season. Not to mention... we have tried taking the road to the Superbowl through Pittsburgh and came up short many times. I don't think many Steelers fans believe in "home field advantage".
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I would rather be playing at home of course. But when I think of how this team plays when they are the underdog I have to wonder if on the road is better. They seem to have an edge and an intensity to them. I guess we'll find out how it goes.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

It seems to me that tis should be an easy answer. We plan on a ring this year for the Bus. We have to play on the road thee entire playoffs. So yes we are goingto be danderous on the road! Next Question! LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
The answer has to be no.

The fact is, you have repeatedly met a better team whilst playing at home in the playoffs - if you had played them games away from home you would have lost by more.

I cant imagine a scenario where a team performs better away from home rather than at home during the playoffs.

NM
The Patriots are deservedly the team of the decade at this point, but the 2001 edition was not generally regarded as a better team than the Steelers. I am not taking anything away from the Pats beating the Rams and Steelers that season in what were legitimately regarded as major upsets (I will leave it to some Raider fan to express their view on all of us being educated on the consequences of the tuck rule during the Pats defeat of Oakland). However, the home AFC Championship losses to San Diego in 1995 and New England in 2002 were big upsets.

The losses to Denver (even though the Steelers had whacked them the previous month) and New England last year (even though the Steelers had whacked them in October) were toss-up games. Nevertheless, the proof is on the field and because home field is decided based upon your record it is hard to argue the Steelers were not the "better" team that season in a majority of their AFC championship losses.

When Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart have been your QBs you can expect trouble, but I doubt any team has the abysmal 1-4 record in home championship games that the Steelers do under Cowher.

That having been said, I still would prefer to play at home.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote