Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: Ken Whisenhunt...

The Cards are one dimensional in a matchup against the Steelers. Warner will be throwing picks all over the place after they get to him in the first quarter.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

He's a good coach. Grimm was too or else they wouldnt have made the final list. Unfortunately for them, they got beat out by the better man.

I dont see any reason to crack on these guys.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #23
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

Wasnt there a big return in that game to win it???
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
coldsweat
Water Boy

Member Number: 11667

Pitt never wins in Arizona, Good thing game is in Tampa!
coldsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #25
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I was all for Whiz being our Head Coach. He was an awesome OC and has turned into a very good Head Coach. That being said, who could complain about Mike Tomlin? Something about Russ Grimm. To me just does not seem to be Head Coach material.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #26
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whisenhunt knows his Super Bowl foe well
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/19/whis...bowl-foe-well/

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt was previously an assistant with the Steelers. (Jack Dempsey / Associated Press)
Ken Whisenhunt’s wish was granted Sunday.

The Arizona Cardinals’ head coach, who spent six seasons as a Pittsburgh Steelers assistant, will face his former team Feb. 1 in Super Bowl XLIII.

“Like everyone else, I was a little disappointed that we couldn’t get a Super Bowl matchup with any compelling storylines,” Whisenhunt jokingly said in a statement released by the Cardinals.

“But honestly, it’s unbelievably special that we’re going to the Super Bowl under any circumstances, but now to find out that we’ll be playing the Steelers certainly takes it to another level. Obviously, that organization and the people associated with it hold a special place in my heart. From that standpoint, this is something of a dream scenario for me and many of the other coaches on our staff. I’m happy for Mr. (Dan) Rooney, Coach (Mike) Tomlin and their entire organization. We’re looking forward to a great matchup in Tampa.”

Whisenhunt’s Cardinals defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 32-25 in the first conference championship game of the day, meaning they had to wait to see who they would play in the Super Bowl.

Whisenhunt, who was the Steelers’ tight ends coach from 2001 to 2003 and their offensive coordinator from 2004 to 2006, expressed his hope that Pittsburgh would be the opponent.

“I’m glad we are playing [in the Super Bowl], but the reason I’m here is because of my time with Pittsburgh, and I am grateful for that,” Whisenhunt said before the AFC Championship Game kicked off at Heinz Field.

The Steelers took care of their end in the nightcap with a 23-14 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, who had Whisenhunt on their staff in 1997 and 1998 as a tight ends coach. No word on whether Whisenhunt would have been happy facing the Ravens, too.

Other Cardinals coaches with Steelers ties include assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who was a candidate for Pittsburgh’s head-coaching job when it went to Tomlin in 2007; receivers coach Mike Miller; defensive assistant Matt Raich and special teams coach Kevin Spencer. No doubt they will be asked plenty about their Steelers days in the next two weeks.
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

The Cards are a dangerous team with a high scoring offense and a team starting to play defense.

I just hope that Wiz puts up enough bulletin board material over not getting the Steelers job that the Steelers get Rooney and Tomlin's backs!!!
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

They key to the entire game is not to allow Warner to get into his rhythm.

Make him uncomfortable in the pocket. He doesn't handle the pressure as well as Ben does.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #29
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

Watching Whis in his press conference, I like his response to the obvious baiting by reporters as to his past in Pittsburgh. He seemed genuinely pissed at being asked if he had hard feelings towards the Steelers. He also made mention that he accepted the Arizona job before the interview process was even complete by a long shot, thus de-bunking the notion (somewhat) he was passed over for the Steelers job.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #30
schim21
Water Boy

Member Number: 10064

OK so didn't he leave BEFORE Tomlin was hired? To me that is not even a story line. HE took the AZ job before waiting to hear from the Steelers. All of the analyst need to drop this or have their facts together. I am tired of hearing how the Steelers passed him over. We may not have hired him but he never gave the chance for us to NOT hire him.
schim21 is offline   Reply With Quote