Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cards open as Super Bowl underdogs to Steelers

Cards open as Super Bowl underdogs to Steelers
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...owl-line_N.htm

LAS VEGAS (AP) Las Vegas oddsmakers aren't buying into the Arizona Cardinals, no matter how many times they win as underdogs this postseason.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were favored by 6 points in most sports books to win the Feb. 1 Super Bowl after beating the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday to set up the showdown for the NFL title, according to Las Vegas Sports Consultants.

"Beating Baltimore is a little more impressive," oddsmaker Jason Been said.

Las Vegas Sports Consultants provides betting lines for roughly 90% of sports books in Nevada.

The Cardinals 45-1 longshots to start the season and 40-1 to win it all when the playoffs started aren't getting much respect from oddsmakers but seem to be building a last-minute fan base among bettors, said Jay Kornegay, executive director of the race and sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton.

"I'm not sure how big this bandwagon can get, but it's growing by the minute," Kornegay told the Associated Press. "The history of losing can really appeal to a lot of fans."

Kornegay set the Hilton's line at 7 points, meaning Steelers bettors would need their team to win by more than one touchdown in order to collect.

The Cards a No. 4-seeded NFC team playing in its first Super Bowl are the first nine-win team to reach the big game since 1979, when the Rams lost to the Steelers. Arizona beat Philadelphia 32-25.

But even though the Cardinals have scored at least 30 points in each of three playoff wins against the Eagles, Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons, oddsmakers largely feel they have yet to beat a defense as good as the one they face in two weeks.

"The AFC has a little more respect as far as the way they play power football," said MGM Mirage Inc. Race and Sports Books Director Jay Rood, who set lines in his books at 7. "They just seem to be the better league at this point."

Pittsburgh, which started the playoffs as the No. 2 AFC team behind the Tennessee Titans, had a first-round bye before beating the San Diego Chargers and Ravens.

"You got one of the more popular teams in the NFL versus a true Cinderella team, and that makes for a very intriguing Super Bowl this year," Kornegay said.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...owl-line_N.htm
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,203 Times in 442 Posts
Default Re: Cards open as Super Bowl underdogs to Steelers

Quote:
"The AFC has a little more respect as far as the way they play power football," said MGM Mirage Inc. Race and Sports Books Director Jay Rood, who set lines in his books at 7. "They just seem to be the better league at this point."
Short memories. Did this dude watch last year's SB?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665

as it should!!! there is no way we don't win this game really

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Short memories indeed. Remember last year when the AFC was based around getting around the Patriots, Colts, and Chargers with their offenses?

The Steelers don't have an offense on the caliber of those teams, but they have something they didn't. They have a defense. A VERY GOOD Defense.

Defense wins championships.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

did anyone really think that regardless of who won tonight's game that the NFC would come out on top as the favorites?

I think we (Steelers fans and ravens fans) knew that whoever won would be the favorites on odds to win and Las Vegas just proved us right.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

This line will move all over the place, especailly with the proximity of Arizona. The opening line of the book is the truest, after that its all about how the bets come in.

Oh yea and just remember the Books make their money off of being right, the talking heads will turn the next 2 wks upside down with BS analysis.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Cards29
Water Boy

Member Number: 12036

I expected us to be underdogs no matter who we played, but 7 point underdogs? Wow.
Cards29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,203 Posts

Yep, Only seven, should be 17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Almanack
Water Boy

Member Number: 12037

I expected the line to open higher than 7. I expected something between 71/2 and 91/2. But the odds makers have learned not to have the line be 7 so that they don't get pushed....
Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards29 View Post
I expected us to be underdogs no matter who we played, but 7 point underdogs? Wow.
They're probably banking on the "Defense Wins Championships" and the "Underdog" role to bring in some heavy betters.

Besides you should have seen this coming a mile away. The media pundits pretty much said that yesterday's AFC game was the Super Bowl - not that I believe them.

I think 6 1/2 is a good start for the las vegas oddmakers. But in reality that score is 0-0 for right now.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote