Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032
Exclamation My Thoughts on the Game...

I'm an avid, die hard, lose your voice at home type of Steeler fan. Here are my thoughts on the game:

1. The non-TD call on Santonio Holmes. I'm still unsure how they established it was incomplete? IMHO, he caught it, and on his second step (in which case for a receiver to have established a catch he must have possession and take two steps in order to make a football move). On the second step he dove, the ball crossed the goal line, and the ball then came out as he slid past the white front of the goal line. Should've been a touchdown.

2. I don't know about you guys, but I cannot stand listening to guys with the likes of Phil Simms, Jim Nance, Cris Collinsworth, or Boomer Esiason calling games. Instead, I turn it on DVE and listen to Hillgrove and Tunch calling the game. I yelled countless time about Harrison not getting holding penalties called on the guy guarding him. How many of these per game are these refs going to allow happen? It looks to me like he had quite a slump in productivity since that game versus the Titans simply because these guys are getting him stopped by holding him. Yes he is a beast, but it does play a role in getting to the quarterback nonetheless.

3. Limas Limas Limas. Keep in mind we yelled Santoni-NO!!!!!! a number of times during his rookie year and now look at the strides he has made to becoming our top receiver. Give Sweed some time and he will be as if not more productive and involved as Santonio. That hit he had on Corey Ivy, as they discussed on theCooler Talk postgame show, showst he type of player he's going to be - able to forget a huge mistake and come back wanting to make plays to make up for it (not counting the third down conversion catch he had as well). Way to go Limas, I'm behind ya.

4. The secondary REALLY stepped up. Woodley played a heck of a game, but our secondary, having been shaky in years past, is really coming into a zone since this last year. Great job guys.

5. Yes this is a great victory. In my llifetime this will be the third Super Bowl that these guys have made it to. Tonight was the most exciting win. After having so many disappointing Championship games play out over the years, I'm thrilled to see this team make it and THIS IS OUR TIME.

6. Troy Polamalu has been and IS back.... THE best defensive back we've had since the days of Rod Woodson (who it was neat to see handing the AFC championship trophy to Mr. Rooney).

7. Bruce Arians is still predictable to an extent. Running game was not working, yet let's try run run pass???? I know many back him up, but look at it this way, does anyone see coachless teams lining up to talk to him and try to take him away? I don't lol...

A few afterthoughts.........

- My eyes began scanning the sidelines for Daniel Sepulveda to throw on a jersey, hobble out onto the field with a crutch in hand, and still boot it farther than Mitch Berger .

- Kurt Warner should have won the MVP this year.

- Pray for Willis McGahee, as he is a terrific player (Raven or not) and the hit he took was very serious.

- Do you think Ryan Clark cares he's going to get a $25k thousand fine? I think he'll take that and receive a fumble in return that assured our place in Super Bowl XLIII!

- LET'S HOPE THE REFS ARE BETTER IN THE SUPER BOWL!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: My Thoughts on the Game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
1. The non-TD call on Santonio Holmes. I'm still unsure how they established it was incomplete? IMHO, he caught it, and on his second step (in which case for a receiver to have established a catch he must have possession and take two steps in order to make a football move). On the second step he dove, the ball crossed the goal line, and the ball then came out as he slid past the white front of the goal line. Should've been a touchdown.
I'm still perturbed about that call. Not about it being a non-TD, but the ruling of incomplete. How many steps does a guy have to take with the damn ball FIRMLY in his grasp before it's a completed pass? 20?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

The refs won't be any better, get used to it. We'll still lay the smack down.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
VinnySteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 11711

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I'm still perturbed about that call. Not about it being a non-TD, but the ruling of incomplete. How many steps does a guy have to take with the damn ball FIRMLY in his grasp before it's a completed pass? 20?
Yeah the refs screwed this one up. It was in the same vein as the Polamalu interception from 2005 against the Colts, the refs interpretation was wrong. He established possession then extended the ball across the goal line. If he was bobbling it, how could he have extended it? Also, once that ball breaks the plane, it is a TOUCHDOWN, it doesn't matter what happens after that.
VinnySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

My question is this:

During playoff time, there are what, four games total taking place at most on a playoff weekend, why couldn't the "Officials of the NFL Betterment Committee" or whatever they come themselves these days have someone in the booth to look at something like that and radio down to the field just like they do in under two mins? If you look the one call was going to be reviewed but Bill Carrolla didn't even make it over to the booth before he got the message from upsairs that it was incomplete. This should be able to be done at any point in the game if the on-field refs get it wrong. It seemst hey rush stuff at the beginning of the game then drag out meaningless reviews later on, or is that just me>?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
no shiat! 2 steps and a "football" move on the dive i was so mad!!!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

They'll announce tomorrow that it should've been a TD, just like they said afterwards Troy had an INT against the Colts and that he had that TD against the Chargers. Ugh, NFL refs.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
no shiat! 2 steps and a "football" move on the dive i was so mad!!!
The steps came as he was falling to the ground... being tackled when he caught the ball. The latest rule is that he must keep the ball even through the fall. So it isn't about a "football move" or "two steps"

He coulda taken 20 steps... but if he caught the ball, was tripped up, contnued stumbling for the next 15 steps, then fell and lost the ball, it is an incomplete pass because he didn't have comnplete control of the ball through the fall.

I don't like the rule... but it was well called on the field.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I'm going to put this out here now and I said to a few of the faithful around me during the game:

WE DON'T WHINE ABOUT THE REFS. We are not seahawks fans, titans fans, or anything else in between. We are the Steelers and great teams overcome obstacles. The refs are just part of the game and we need to overcome them in order to get the SIX PACK!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, that was a catch. That non call on pass interference in the endzone was complete BS too.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote