Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #21
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Fighting Irish/Buckeyes

This was in the local paper yesterday...just a total brutalization of Notre dame in bowl games.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/...printstory.jsp

BCS officials still play favorites with Notre Dame
Irish again get a better bowl than they deserve
By Scot Fagerstrom

Love them or hate them, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are always a lively topic of discussion.

Those who hate the Irish will point out that Notre Dame is the only program to benefit from an exclusive network television contract.

They will talk about the benefits Notre Dame enjoys by not playing in a conference. Schools with conference affiliations must share their bowl paydays. Notre Dame is not required to share.

Those who love the Irish will claim that it is harder to win at Notre Dame, because it has tougher entrance requirements and plays a brutal schedule year-in and year-out.

They will claim that Notre Dame has earned its status through its great football tradition.

Bowl executives, television executives and the BCS agree.

The BCS rules favor Notre Dame, allowing the Irish an automatic bid for finishing in the top six in the final BCS standings. Conference teams that don't win an automatic bid must finish in the top four.

The bowl and television executives have no beef with the inequities, because Notre Dame means money for them.

No team is followed with more passion -- both positive and negative -- than the Irish, and that is part of their appeal.

The bowl favoritism of Notre Dame, though to a lesser extent than in the past, continued this year, when the two-loss Irish ``earned'' an automatic BCS berth over a one-loss Oregon team that finished ahead of Notre Dame in the final BCS standings.

Want more proof? Take a look at Notre Dame's recent bowl record. Is it a coincidence that the Irish have lost their past seven bowl games or are they often awarded a better bowl than they have earned?

After the 1994 season, a 10-1 Colorado team was matched up with 6-4-1 and unranked Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. How does a 6-4-1 team end up playing in one of the top four bowls?

Because it is Notre Dame.

The result: Colorado, 41-24.

Only twice in those seven bowls did the Irish lose by fewer than 17 points.

The past three losses have been by 32, 22 and 17 points and came against traditional powerhouses Oregon State (twice) and N.C. State.

It is good for college football when Notre Dame is strong, and the Irish should stay strong now that Coach Charlie Weis can tell recruits to come to Notre Dame because when you play for the Irish, you don't have to be as good as the next guy.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #22
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

GO BUCKEYES!!! WOO!!! KILL THE IRISH! seriously tho, i think the bucks will take this one easily. Troy Smith + irish defense = GO BUCKEYES!!!

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #23
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Great game by Ohio State.
Notre Dame looked shell shocked and intimidated by both the OSU offense and defense.

BTW-Brent Musburger who was one the announcers for the game was totally annoying and shouldn't be allowed to do play by play.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #24
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Brett was awful and biased, but the Buckeye Nation is used to constant dissing...The Irish were in this game for about 10 minutes, and the rest was a little window dressing. That's why UT rolls...they were lucky and beat the best team in the Country back in September, so they should roll over the 3rd best team tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #25
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
ND gots this on lock
Uh huh.....
Old 01-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #26
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Scott Fagerstrom is such a genius...ND totally didn't deserve to be in that game... I mean, they were only within a touchdown with a couple minutes left. What a blow-out! I'm sure Oregon would have done much better based on their performance.

Since that author has proven that hating just makes you look like a fool, all I will say is Congratulations Ohio State... You played awesome and are definitely the best team that ND played this season - including USC. Rock on...
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #27
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Well played game by Ohio State... I might be a PSU fan, but I root for all Big Ten teams come bowl week. I was happy to see them represent... I hope we can do the same in Florida.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #28
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Brett was awful and biased, but the Buckeye Nation is used to constant dissing...The Irish were in this game for about 10 minutes, and the rest was a little window dressing. That's why UT rolls...they were lucky and beat the best team in the Country back in September, so they should roll over the 3rd best team tomorrow.
One of Brent's most notable gaffs during the game is when he said that Ohio State was co-champion of the Big Ten.

Don't forget that Penn St. beat the best team in the country back in October.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #29
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

CW had a month to prepare!
Brady Quinn is the better QB!
If you blitz Quinn,he'll light us up!
Tennessee has a better defense than OSU!
We can't cover thier trio of 6'5" wideouts!
Walker will run wild over our defense!
ND's defense is underrated!

This is all I heard leading up to the game...and my Buckeyes proved it all wrong!

Troy Smith for Heisman!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #30
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

lol Troy Smith would never be Heisman Winner.... Unless he has some sort of brother or cousin or someone with the same name as him who wins it.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote