Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013
Default Whisenhunt knows his Super Bowl foe well

Whisenhunt knows his Super Bowl foe well
Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl XLIII

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt was previously an assistant with the Steelers. (Jack Dempsey / Associated Press)
Ken Whisenhunt’s wish was granted Sunday.

The Arizona Cardinals’ head coach, who spent six seasons as a Pittsburgh Steelers assistant, will face his former team Feb. 1 in Super Bowl XLIII.

“Like everyone else, I was a little disappointed that we couldn’t get a Super Bowl matchup with any compelling storylines,” Whisenhunt jokingly said in a statement released by the Cardinals.

“But honestly, it’s unbelievably special that we’re going to the Super Bowl under any circumstances, but now to find out that we’ll be playing the Steelers certainly takes it to another level. Obviously, that organization and the people associated with it hold a special place in my heart. From that standpoint, this is something of a dream scenario for me and many of the other coaches on our staff. I’m happy for Mr. (Dan) Rooney, Coach (Mike) Tomlin and their entire organization. We’re looking forward to a great matchup in Tampa.”

Whisenhunt’s Cardinals defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 32-25 in the first conference championship game of the day, meaning they had to wait to see who they would play in the Super Bowl.

Whisenhunt, who was the Steelers’ tight ends coach from 2001 to 2003 and their offensive coordinator from 2004 to 2006, expressed his hope that Pittsburgh would be the opponent.

“I’m glad we are playing [in the Super Bowl], but the reason I’m here is because of my time with Pittsburgh, and I am grateful for that,” Whisenhunt said before the AFC Championship Game kicked off at Heinz Field.

The Steelers took care of their end in the nightcap with a 23-14 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, who had Whisenhunt on their staff in 1997 and 1998 as a tight ends coach. No word on whether Whisenhunt would have been happy facing the Ravens, too.

Other Cardinals coaches with Steelers ties include assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who was a candidate for Pittsburgh’s head-coaching job when it went to Tomlin in 2007; receivers coach Mike Miller; defensive assistant Matt Raich and special teams coach Kevin Spencer. No doubt they will be asked plenty about their Steelers days in the next two weeks.
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032
Default Re: Whisenhunt knows his Super Bowl foe well

It will be great to see the two top candidates from the Coach Cowher vancancy going head to head. I still think we made the right choice. Arizona playing terrible as they did in December wasn't just a fluke.